Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance (Read 183 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
Reply #15 - 12/19/10 at 23:23:41

No, that woulda been 2001 S0pace Odyssey.. I never really got into that one. I was visiting Mom in Houston over the summer & read that book after everyone went to bed,. took a couple O weeks, big book.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #16 - 12/20/10 at 00:47:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/19/10 at 23:17:45:
I read The God Machine when I was 14. Man, that was one trippy book. About a puter that takes over, coercing people into things,, pretty crazy crap for a 14 Y/O..

I read that book about when I was 14 or so as well Justin ... "trippy" indeed! 2 other (and better IMHO) books about omniscient and omnipotent Super Computers are David Gerrold's "When Harlie Was One" and Robert Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/20/10 at 05:45:14

Lost; it’s worth the read, but I’d prepare myself for long stretches philosophy talk, I mean long stretches.  He can take a while to bring a particular thought to a close, but in the end, I thought he made valid, potentially, life changing points.

From the motorcyclist point of view, the thing I liked the best is the idea of riding until you’re done for the day and setting up camp pretty much wherever. Today, the cops would run you out of a park or roadside field. At least in parts of the east and Midwest, maybe in the less populated areas of the west, you could still pull that off. Most other places, you're waiting for the black and white to pull up at anytime.

Spoiler alert. Depending upon the year your copy is printed, do not jump ahead and read the epilog if it has one. Don't do it, it will ruin the book for you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 12/20/10 at 07:41:03

Be Here Now
by Babba Ram Das

That;; put yer Zen in place/

Babba Ram Das was his name after he went to India & studied, Before that, iy was Richard Alpert, friend of & fellow traveler with,,

Timothy Leary

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #19 - 12/20/10 at 07:45:40

Another suggestion for a fun philosophy book is "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar." I don't think it would take much background in philosophy to make it an entertaining read. More of a survey than a single view.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/20/10 at 11:39:12

okay, no way I'm getting this book now. . .   no more heavy thinking for me . . .  not until next semester

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:27:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.