mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: guess what this is ?
Reply #15 - 12/15/10 at 23:18:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/10 at 22:19:51:
In late 1945, after the end of World War II, Masaru Ibuka started a radio repair shop in a bomb-damaged department store building in Nihonbashi of Tokyo. The next year, he was joined by his colleague, Akio Morita, and they founded a company called Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo K.K.,[8] (Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation). The company built Japan's first tape recorder called the Type-G.[8]

In the early 1950s, Ibuka traveled in the United States and heard about Bell Labs' invention of the transistor.[8] He convinced Bell to license the transistor technology to his Japanese company. While most American companies were researching the transistor for its military applications, Ibuka and Morita looked to apply it to communications. Although the American companies Regency[disambiguation needed] and Texas Instruments built the first transistor radios, it was Ibuka's company that made them commercially successful for the first time.

In August 1955, Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo released the Sony TR-55, Japan's first commercially produced transistor radio.[9] They followed up in December of the same year by releasing th

wiki

Do you know I always figured it would take small guys to make those transister radios.
Kidding aside I remember my first transister radio, It was very cool to own one, alot of guys used them in there cars,not many cars had radios in those days.I don't know why they never stayed on signal,always fiddling with bloody thing.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/16/10 at 04:51:16

Cuz back then, they were AM radios. Going near a [power line would make them squeal.
& now, those single transistors, 3 legs poking out of a tiny tin can, are found in the integrated circuits, holding millions ( I guess,, millions, or just hundreds, theyre TINY now). They replaced the tubes. Back in the day, some tubes were called Valves. In a simple tube, with a high Voltage on the plate & the emitter all heated & ready, current flow will be at max, but, put a signal on the grid, a skinny wire, wound around a frame between the plate & emitter, then you can control the current flow thru that tube, by putting a negative charge on the grid,( which is close to the emitter) you cancel out the effect of the + charge on the plate. The emitter cant feel it, so, current flow stops.
Same idea for transistors.Just harder to picture mentally, whats going on in there, with transistors.
Short answer is, a small Voltage on the grid ( tube) or base( transistor) controls the flow thru the part.

I was lucky enough to get the last class they taught in Biloxi Miss on tube theory when I went thru tech school in 73.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 12/16/10 at 05:15:23

The first tape like recorder I ever heard was a wire running in there instead of a tape,that was in 1949,Does anyone else remember  those.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 12/16/10 at 05:23:16

Im not that old, but Ive seen a machine for it in the movies. heres a pic.

http://www.videointerchange.com/wire_recorder1.htm

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 12/16/10 at 08:46:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/16/10 at 04:51:16:
Cuz back then, they were AM radios. Going near a [power line would make them squeal.
& now, those single transistors, 3 legs poking out of a tiny tin can, are found in the integrated circuits, holding millions ( I guess,, millions, or just hundreds, theyre TINY now). They replaced the tubes. Back in the day, some tubes were called Valves. In a simple tube, with a high Voltage on the plate & the emitter all heated & ready, current flow will be at max, but, put a signal on the grid, a skinny wire, wound around a frame between the plate & emitter, then you can control the current flow thru that tube, by putting a negative charge on the grid,( which is close to the emitter) you cancel out the effect of the + charge on the plate. The emitter cant feel it, so, current flow stops.
Same idea for transistors.Just harder to picture mentally, whats going on in there, with transistors.
Short answer is, a small Voltage on the grid ( tube) or base( transistor) controls the flow thru the part.

I was lucky enough to get the last class they taught in Biloxi Miss on tube theory when I went thru tech school in 73.

I remember going into a drug store where they had a machine where you could test your valves from your TV just buy new ones for the ones that didn't light up .
Now my big flat screen has gone belly up,a week after the garentee ran out one year and one week,I might take it in this morning.
I rarely watch it but I have my daughter and kids coming to visit, so I had better get it fixed for the kids.
When I was a kid I used to make sci fi cities using those old valves /or tubes that had burnd out.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #20 - 12/16/10 at 09:00:17

I still use tubes, (valves for you Mick) in all my guitar amps. They are getting expensive. Technicians have tried for over 50 years to come up with a solid state guitar amplifier that will duplicate the old allmost three demensional sound of a tube amp and so far they have failed miserably. All the major companies have pretty much given up and are concentrating on manufacturing tube amps.  A major European tube manufacturer Mullard has regrouped and reopened their plant that has been shut down over 50 years just so they can supply us guitar geeks with tubes.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 12/16/10 at 09:01:23

In the late 1940's the shoe stores had a x-ray machine you put your foot in and could see how the shoes fit your feet,As a little kid if was fun to see the bones in your feet.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 09:15:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › guess what this is ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.