Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newb looking to get talked into a Savage. (Read 359 times)
ThumperS40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Western NY State
Re: Newb looking to get talked into a Savage.
Reply #15 - 12/15/10 at 19:02:05

I've been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 years and have my second Savage (S40). Always regretted selling the first one. I am 150# and 5'6" it fits me to a "T". Always a fan of thumpers I enjoy the torque that encourages short shifts and hard throttle roll-ons. Do the carb mods and change the muffler and the improvement is quite satisfying. The Savage is only smallish when compared to modern tanks! In the 60's this would have been an average sized big bike. For my money motorcycling was more fun in the 60's! These bikes are fun at legal speeds. The new ones bore me when ridden sanely.

IP Logged
TheAyudo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/23/10 at 11:18:49

Took a look at the bike over the Holiday and it looks like it's in great shape.  A shallow dime sized dent on top of the gas tank, and he had trouble starting the bike (he said it was the original battery so I felt this was the most likely culprit).  

However the big discovery was that when he said the bike had 46 miles he didn't mean 4600, he meant 46.  That's under 12 miles a year!  He said he'd give the bike a once over between now and new year's so I'll be taking another look then.

My dad has all the riding experience in the family, so once he okays the handling and braking I'll probably be picking it up (assuming the bike starts).  

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #17 - 12/23/10 at 11:44:48

46 miles?  Must have been a whim purchase.  I can't imagine much that could be wrong with an '06 with barely any miles.  Even the rubber shouldn't stiffen up much, unless it was exposed to cold/heat/rain alot.  How was it stored?  Sounds like a great find!

As far as the dent, some here have had success with a few different techniques.  If there is no pucker, I'd try the "dust remover" method.  Heat up the surface with a hair dryer or heat gun, turn the can upside down and spray on the dent, be sure to cover the entire dent and out a little bit around it.  As it evaporates, the dent "should" pop right out.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
TheAyudo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/23/10 at 12:15:59

He said the bike's been garage kept at his dad's place, and it looked the part.  

I'll give that dent removal method a try, but is there any other maintenance I should consider doing before use?  Could the brake lines need replacement or the petcock go bad just from sitting in a garage?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #19 - 12/23/10 at 12:48:56

If it really looks like 46 miles (no wear on anything) then I would treat it like a new MC that's been sitting for four years - flush the gas, carbs, change the oil etc. Go through all the adjustments and set up. Someone around here probably has a check list if not, you can probably get one from your local dealership. If it looks like it has wear on on the pegs, or handgrips I would run, not walk away. This would mean the odometer isn't right. The damage on top of the tank is not wear, but if it looks like it is from a crash, it might explain the low mileage - can the owner even ride? Personally, I'd probably put that many or more miles on a MC the first day I owned it. I'd probably put over ten for a test ride if the owner approved.

In my experience a MC with almost no miles is not that unusual. My first MC was purchased with under 20 miles and my second had less than 1 on the odometer when I started riding it (test ride at the dealer) all the miles were put on it by me.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 12/23/10 at 14:57:41

do ya really need me to post of pic of thumper, like nobody's seen it before Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 12/23/10 at 14:59:27

ThumperS40 wrote on 12/15/10 at 19:02:05:
I've been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 years and have my second Savage (S40). Always regretted selling the first one. I am 150# and 5'6" it fits me to a "T". Always a fan of thumpers I enjoy the torque that encourages short shifts and hard throttle roll-ons. Do the carb mods and change the muffler and the improvement is quite satisfying. The Savage is only smallish when compared to modern tanks! In the 60's this would have been an average sized big bike. For my money motorcycling was more fun in the 60's! These bikes are fun at legal speeds. The new ones bore me when ridden sanely.

boy howdy, ya just took the words out of my mouth,
honestly, yours was a great report on what the savage is, and can be.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 12/24/10 at 00:36:35

Change the oil & ride it a while, then ditch the old  brake fluid.

The rubber is the same age it would have been if someone rode it every day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newb looking to get talked into a Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.