Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long do you take to warm up? (Read 387 times)
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How long do you take to warm up?
12/07/10 at 17:35:37

It'll take a little more than frost bite to keep me from riding... however, i've got a pet peeve... waiting for the engine to warm up in 32 and below.  

How long is it suppose to take to warm up?  

I usually wait a minute with the choke on and then ride off, but i have to keep some throttle on constantly so it doesn't shut off.   Takes me a few blocks before it can get warmed up.  

Would increasing the idle speed help at all?  

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: How long do you take to warm up?
Reply #1 - 12/07/10 at 17:45:35

I assume you mean until it runs ok. Everyone will have a slightly different answer. I crank mine and then put on my gear as it warms up slightly blipping the throttle occasionally to make sure it stays at good rpms. The difference comes here. after pulling out of my drive it is one mile to my first stop. (Either way) After that, choke in, hammer down. For those of you who have a stop sign at the end of the street it will be different. Also depends on your carb and the way it's tuned, I guess.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 12/07/10 at 18:08:19

You could raise the pilot jet a size or two, then the engine won't be so cold-blooded.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/10 at 18:21:45

Boofer wrote on 12/07/10 at 17:45:35:
I assume you mean until it runs ok. Everyone will have a slightly different answer. I crank mine and then put on my gear as it warms up slightly blipping the throttle occasionally to make sure it stays at good rpms. The difference comes here. after pulling out of my drive it is one mile to my first stop. (Either way) After that, choke in, hammer down. For those of you who have a stop sign at the end of the street it will be different. Also depends on your carb and the way it's tuned, I guess.

Yes i mean when until it runs without shutting off.  

@Boule
How many sizes should i go up?  Currently its all stock, '97 Savage.  Changing jet size may be an option but the way i ride, it would probably be worse off for the MPG.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 12/07/10 at 18:22:54

Boule'tard, (And members) let me ask you. To me, the metal needs to be brought up to temperature slowly regardless of how well it runs right off cranking. I let my fuel injected cars warm up a little in winter. Am I anywhere near correct? (I'm still gonna' do it, though.) Huh

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/07/10 at 18:25:36

Boofer wrote on 12/07/10 at 18:22:54:
Boule'tard, (And members) let me ask you. To me, the metal needs to be brought up to temperature slowly regardless of how well it runs right off cranking. I let my fuel injected cars warm up a little in winter. Am I anywhere near correct? (I'm still gonna' do it, though.) Huh

I've heard from someone that twisting the throttle from a cold start is very bad for the engine.  I think there may be some truth to what you're saying.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 12/07/10 at 18:32:11

sexombob wrote on 12/07/10 at 18:21:45:
@Boule
How many sizes should i go up?  Currently its all stock, '97 Savage.  Changing jet size may be an option but the way i ride, it would probably be worse off for the MPG.

Do you plan to uncork your airbox or exhaust?  If not, I'd start with just one size up.  But since jets are cheap (JetsRus.com) you might want to spring for +1 and +2.  

Boofer wrote on 12/07/10 at 18:22:54:

Yeah, but riding around gently should be a gradual enough warm-up.  It is not necessary to sit there idling with the choke on once the engine is running smooth enough to take off.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - 12/07/10 at 19:49:18

It usually takes me 3-4 minutes of waiting while it idles.  I'll usually start the engine, and then put on my gloves and helmet.  Then I sit on it for a minute or two, while testing the engine sound to make sure I don't hear it struggling and losing power while revving.

If I hear the engine struggling to keep up with the throttle while riding, I avoid revving it until I feel the engine warm enough to have power.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #8 - 12/07/10 at 20:35:47

I take off choke as soon as possible. Usually within a minute of startup. Then I put in my gloves, helmet, adjust glasses. Usually takes 5 min. By that time, I ride away slowly. In my fuel-injected Jetta's manual it says and I quote "the best way to warm up your vehicle [upon staring on a cold winter day] is to drive it."

But that's fuel-injected so idk.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 12/07/10 at 21:02:42

Before doing anything to the carb, try running with the petcock in prime position in case you have a stiff diaphram starving it for fuel when cold. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/07/10 at 21:05:48

I'll start it & play with throttle & choke till I get it to idle,Then I roll away gently, accelerate slowly & gently, run it to a high enough rpm so it wont be lugging at all when I get a gear,, nice & easy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 12/07/10 at 21:07:59

I let my bike warm up with the choke out for a couple mins. If I need to rev it a little I do, yet make sure I don't overdo it. Like others, I finish putting my gear on in the mean time. Our driveway is a lil steep and gavel. The last thing I want is for her to stall going up to the top of the driveway. Smiley kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/07/10 at 21:14:27

Thats just good sense,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 12/08/10 at 05:37:13

I suppose I am in with most here with a little variance.....crank with choke on - put on coat, helmet, glasses & gloves roll to bottom of driveway in neutral - choke still on now at 3-5 minutes post crank......if it is in the 40's i take the choke off and drive away nice and easy never over 2-3K rpm's to 2nd gear in the neighborhood to the main road about 1/2 mile with several turns......if it is in the 30's i leave choke on until i get to the main rd.....if it is in the 20's I leave the choke on until I get to the first stop light about 1 mile from the house...all the while keeping the rpm's around 3k or less......even after that initial warm up distance and farther i dont "get on it" unless the air temp is in the upper 40's or over 50F......

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 12/08/10 at 07:34:04

I can tell you that after doing the 1/2 white spacer mod, it not only corrected the lean light throttle surging that I had, but it also made for less choke when cold. But no,...you don't do a white spacer mod for a less choke reason ! And if your bike is normally running good in all ranges, it rightfully will be quite cold blooded on a freezing morning.

On the other note,   the engine does not mind working a little during warmup,......so if you think you're doing any engine a favor by standing still wasting fuel, rethink ! Warming up simply means limiting rpm's and load for a few minutes.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How long do you take to warm up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.