Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Pearl Harbor
Reply #15 - 12/08/10 at 14:43:58

military brass never listens to common sense.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #16 - 12/08/10 at 20:40:00

Dr.Harvey's my Mom doesn't know the name of the ship. My Uncle was a Chef Petty Officer, last name Stolpe.
Mom also said she remembers how everything was rashioned, food, shoes, etc etc..
Mom also said it was about 4 days before they received word that my Uncle and family were ok.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/09/10 at 06:13:07

Sluggo, that was not a shining moment in American history.
It is good that your inlaws remained loyal Americans, that is in sharp contrast to the so called americans we have now who have not suffered at all yet never miss a chance to denigrate this country.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #18 - 12/09/10 at 08:56:04

buttgoat1 wrote on 12/09/10 at 06:13:07:
Sluggo, that was not a shining moment in American history.
It is good that your inlaws remained loyal Americans, that is in sharp contrast to the so called americans we have now who have not suffered at all yet never miss a chance to denigrate this country.

You should have tried the Blitz Buttgoat,rationing ,how about one egg a week ,2oz bread, 8oz horse meat for 2 adults and 2 kids if you were lucky,zero sugar.one gallon of gas a week,that's when my dad started to ride a M/C all the time. those days neighbors moved in with you because there house was flattened. We lost ours ,we then moved to Oxford.  We were going to move anyway because my Dad local pub got hit.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #19 - 12/09/10 at 11:20:30

On the History Channel they aired a documentary called Tora Tora Tora: The real story about Pearl Harbor.  They aired it on the 7th and I watched it. So it wasn't completely ignored though I agree it is more significant than what celebrity may have died during this time of year in the past.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 12/09/10 at 13:50:44

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/09/10 at 11:20:30:
On the History Channel they aired a documentary called Tora Tora Tora: The real story about Pearl Harbor.  They aired it on the 7th and I watched it. So it wasn't completely ignored though I agree it is more significant than what celebrity may have died during this time of year in the past.

tora tora tora was a movie not a documentary, yet it still did a good job of showing both sides.  pearl harbor the movie was a remake of the above mentioned movie. in place of the japaneese side they inserted a love story.    Sad

the government settled with the "internees"  her parents gave it to charity, never believing that they need compensation.  wow i don't know if i could have done the same.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/09/10 at 14:42:03

I guess they appreciated the fact that internment in America still probably beat the alternatives.  Where did they come from originally?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #22 - 12/09/10 at 16:01:41

sluggo wrote on 12/09/10 at 13:50:44:

tora tora tora was a movie not a documentary, yet it still did a good job of showing both sides.  pearl harbor the movie was a remake of the above mentioned movie. in place of the japaneese side they inserted a love story.    Sad

the government settled with the "internees"  her parents gave it to charity, never believing that they need compensation.  wow i don't know if i could have done the same.

I know Tora Tora Tora was a movie, but the History channel did a documentary that they called Tora Tora Tora: The real story of Pearl Harbor that they aired on the 7th.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 12/09/10 at 16:24:09

buttgoat1 wrote on 12/09/10 at 14:42:03:
I guess they appreciated the fact that internment in America still probably beat the alternatives.  Where did they come from originally?

they were from idaho, thats where they were born. they were born united states citizens they didnt come here from anywhere. thats the crime.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #24 - 12/09/10 at 16:26:41

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/09/10 at 16:01:41:
sluggo wrote on 12/09/10 at 13:50:44:

I know Tora Tora Tora was a movie, but the History channel did a documentary that they called Tora Tora Tora: The real story of Pearl Harbor that they aired on the 7th.

ok, sorry i missed it.  was still a great movie though. i remember going to see it at the drive in when it came out.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #25 - 12/09/10 at 22:34:32

I'm told the movie "Tora Tora Tora" was the attack of Pearl Harbor as seen from both sides. After the attack was it Admiral Yamamoto that said "We have awakend a sleeping giant" He was very familiar with America ,even went to school here.
Another totally amazing story is how the US traced his wherabouts and shot him down in the plane he was in, the timing was perfect, two US planes took off at exactly the right time ,they met Yamamoto,and that was the end of him.And this was way before GPS ,even ships radar was in it's infantsy.

« Last Edit: 12/14/10 at 11:54:47 by mick »  

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/10/10 at 10:06:55

Sluggo,
I asked the wrong question, what I was trying to find out was when did their family emigrate and from where.

My thought was that they were first or second generation born in America and while it was bad here, the parents or grandparents knew how much worse things would have been back in the old country.  

I know it was a slap in their face to be treated like that.  But there was thousands of confrontations against all kinds.  I was watching a documentary about railroad builders in Appalachia, they brought in workers from New York, Philly, etc.  They were ostracized by the locals, and 1 workers camp had a cholera outbreak and almost all died.  Turns out many of the remains in the mass graves had bullet holes in em.

Not trying to belittle your inlaws experience, just pointing out how common bias was to all during that time frame.  no offense intended.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #27 - 12/13/10 at 21:36:47

Yeah, the period from the end of Reconstruction till the Civil Rights era could be called "The Golden Age of American Racism".  

Even Asian-Americans got to take part, and not just on the receiving end.  I had a college buddy of Korean extraction whose mom was quite enthusiastic about letting the authorities know which of her neighbors were Japanese...

Oh, and I'd like to correct a previous post -- it's Admiral Louis Dreller, not Richard.  http://www.fau.edu/library/gen-adm51.htm  

The daughter mentioned in the article is the "sainted" mother of my sister-in-law.  She's not dead, just modeled for an artist doing a series of drawings of all the saints after whom streets in Los Angeles are named...   Wink

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 19:00:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pearl Harbor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.