Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fixed Notebook just in time... (Read 196 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Fixed Notebook just in time...
12/06/10 at 17:01:38

...because the next day the power supply to my desk top went out.

It really sucks too because when it went out it damaged my hard drives and I had a lot of movies, manuscripts in various degrees of completion, and a lot of photos. None of which was properly backed up on disks because I was stupid enough not to think of doing it.  :'( :'( :'(

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Fixed Notebook just in time...
Reply #1 - 12/06/10 at 17:07:35

bummer man, but at least you have a computer to get around with.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #2 - 12/06/10 at 17:14:58

LostArtist wrote on 12/06/10 at 17:07:35:
bummer man, but at least you have a computer to get around with.  

Very true, even though my notebook is a HP Omnibook 6000 which is so obsolete that when it came out Windows 2000 was the newest OS. But oh well, it still works. And it isn't too slow for having only a 900mhz processor even though I am used to a 3ghz.

To tell you the truth, I am surprised that my desk top lasted as long as it did. I built it over five years ago. So I reckon a comp that lasts that long did pretty well.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 12/16/10 at 11:38:53

You know what sucks the most about my desktop crashing? Two days later I finally get word from a publisher about why my manuscript was declined. It all boiled down to because I didn't go deep enough into my characters' point of view. Easy fix right? Wrong, the manuscript I needed to revise was on my desktop and I had forgotten to back it up. And the publisher wants me to revise and resubmit.

I know this ain't bike related Sluggo, but the guidelines do say: Quote:
  * Keep the MAJORITY of stuff in here motorcycle related but some other stuff is ok.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 12/16/10 at 12:50:46

Sorry Yonuh.  Did you keep a printed copy?  There are some good text converters if you could scan it, then convert it back to text.  How long was it?  I'd probably be willing to do it for you, if you could scan it and email it to me....  

Oh, I've also seen alot of "online backup" places now.  Anybody use one they'd recommend... or not recommend?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/16/10 at 12:55:02

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/16/10 at 11:38:53:
You know what sucks the most about my desktop crashing? Two days later I finally get word from a publisher about why my manuscript was declined. It all boiled down to because I didn't go deep enough into my characters' point of view. Easy fix right? Wrong, the manuscript I needed to revise was on my desktop and I had forgotten to back it up. http://annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif And the publisher wants me to revise and resubmit. http://annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

* Keep the MAJORITY of stuff in here motorcycle related but some other stuff is ok.

Ask the guy who read it to send the copy back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 12/16/10 at 14:12:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/16/10 at 12:55:02:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/16/10 at 11:38:53:
You know what sucks the most about my desktop crashing? Two days later I finally get word from a publisher about why my manuscript was declined. It all boiled down to because I didn't go deep enough into my characters' point of view. Easy fix right? Wrong, the manuscript I needed to revise was on my desktop and I had forgotten to back it up. http://annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif And the publisher wants me to revise and resubmit. http://annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Ask the guy who read it to send the copy back.

Already have. It was an e-mail submission and I haven't heard back if she will send it back to me.

I did find my first rough draft so I am in the process of re-typing it into my notebook (backing it up on a flash drive as I go) I just hope I can remember what revisions I had already made previously. Hopefully I can get it done and get everything suitable for the editor.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #7 - 12/16/10 at 18:15:06

dude, stop, there is still hope

IF that info is REALLY important to you this is what you do:

Your hard drive is probably fried but all that info is still in there,
so buy a used hard drive of the EXACT make, model and capacity
of your old one, dissasemble and trade the aluminum disks, done.

this is tricky but possible, i've done it, twice  Cheesy

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #8 - 12/17/10 at 02:07:13

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/06/10 at 17:01:38:
...because the next day the power supply to my desk top went out.

It really sucks too because when it went out it damaged my hard drives and I had a lot of movies, manuscripts in various degrees of completion, and a lot of photos. None of which was properly backed up on disks because I was stupid enough not to think of doing it.  :'( :'( :'(

"There are those who have been hurt by not backing up their data, and those who have not....YET"

With all we do on our 'puters these days, back-up is an essential task.

Yonuh, I feel your pain.  I have sat at my desk and started my desktop and heard that awful grinding sound of a physical head-crash, and, and with a sick-to-my-stomach groan wondered "!%#*, when did I do my last back up", and realizing it had been WAAAAAY too long.  

With yours, it sounds like the problem was electrical not physical, so as Stimpy said, there is hope.  The data is, most likely, still there.  Check your area for data recovery outfits.  They are not cheap, but depending on the pain of what might be lost, it might be worth it to you.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 12/17/10 at 05:15:51

Email submission?  Did you delete it from your "sent" items?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 12/17/10 at 09:34:54

babyhog wrote on 12/17/10 at 05:15:51:
Email submission?  Did you delete it from your "sent" items?  

Unfortunately, yes.

If my younger daughter would actually find the flash drive I loaned her a few months ago, I have a copy of my manuscript on it. But her room is a black hole. You need a flare just find your way back out of it when you venture in. (unfortunately she takes after me in that regard, when I was her age my room was a disaster area as well)

I will definitely look into any data recovery places we may have around here. Thanks guys for the suggestion. Would the fact that I was running a bootlegged OS hamper the data recovery? I have sense finally ordered a legitimate copy of the OS I was using, but the drives in my desktop at the time of failure still had the bootlegged copy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/17/10 at 10:13:04

did you try plugging in those drives into the new computer?

And for backup, drives now a days are cheap, darn near dirt cheap.
Buy an external drive enclosure with a usb interface.  Plug it in and back up your data.  $50 for a tera byte drive and $20 or so for the enclosure.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 12/17/10 at 11:24:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/17/10 at 10:13:04:
did you try plugging in those drives into the new computer?

And for backup, drives now a days are cheap, darn near dirt cheap.
Buy an external drive enclosure with a usb interface.  Plug it in and back up your data.  $50 for a tera byte drive and $20 or so for the enclosure.

Yes I tried to install the drives into my daughter's computer which works fine, but it just goes to the windows logo screen then begins the reboot process all over again and then it repeats. But when my daughter's drive is hooked back up it boots up with no problem.

I do plan on getting a tb external hard drive for back up files and movies that I download.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/17/10 at 11:47:12

I wouldn't use them as boot drives, see if they can be accessed as data drives and download what you need.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #14 - 12/17/10 at 12:07:02

verslagen1 wrote on 12/17/10 at 11:47:12:
I wouldn't use them as boot drives, see if they can be accessed as data drives and download what you need.

Good idea, I'll try that. I'll let you know if it works.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 10:30:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fixed Notebook just in time...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.