jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Grip Vibration Issue
12/03/10 at 09:58:12

I have a little over 1700 miles on my bike and seem to be developing vibration issues with the throttle/grip--- my right thumb has got some sort of burn/nerve issue going on - not good. First, I installed a crampbuster device to the right side, but it just gets in the way, isn't doing much to help. I've adjusted the way I grasp the grip now, not so tight a grip...I make sure my shoulders are down, elbows more IN, try to relax upper body, not so tense...doesn't seem to make a dent in the thumb issue. (anti-inflammation drugs, brace, ice already doing)

So next step, I ordered new foam grips for the bike, weighted end caps,(not installed yet, still shipping)  and nice Gripswell foam gloves hoping this will decrease vibe issues.

Had to bail out on a long ride down south with friends cause I can't ride for over an hour without wanting to remove my thumb permanently. Some folks at the bike shop said it's cause the bike is "small" and so it just has more vibration issues than a heavier bike. Had the mechanic take it out on the freeway just to make sure nothing else was going on. Nope, he says its a great bike, no problems.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'd rather give up my thumb than quit riding. http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif

Thanks in advance for your help.

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Grip Vibration Issue
Reply #1 - 12/03/10 at 10:22:09

I have arthritis's in my thumbs I've been wearing copper bracelets with 2 magnets and it really helps a lot,I wear them all the time never take off,Been doing that for about 6 years. I have a lot of arthritis not just by thumbs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 12/03/10 at 11:07:22

I bet you are just gripping too tight, which should ease up with more mileage.  

Have you tried different gloves?  I've tried a few different ones, I have very small hands, so finding motorcycle gloves is tough for me.  I actually bought a pair of finger-less bicycling gloves.  There is nice padding in the palm that seems to absorb alot of the vibration over the entire hand and fingers.  Just a thought, but it would be something cheap you could try if you haven't.  

Mine are similar to these, can't find a pic of the actual ones:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/03/10 at 11:30:40

If you're changing your arm/shoulder position to ease the pain then a change in handlebars should help.

The stock bars are weighted, which one do you have?

Being a large guy myself, the buckhorns made me bend my arms more than I liked, so I tried the drag bars.  Much better position but they're a bit narrow and all I saw in the mirrors were my elbows.  And still drew my elbows in a bit.  So I got a set of z bars.  Enough rise in them to use w/o risers.  Less pull back then the drag bars.

There are a lot of handlebars out there.  Look for 1" cruiser bars.  You don't need dimples.  Go to the shop and grab a few.  Hold it out like it would be comfortable to you.  then try and install it the same way.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 12/03/10 at 11:38:39

Did you try loosening the bars and moving than up or down you can change the position quiet a bit that way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 12/03/10 at 13:07:27

jimsgirl wrote on 12/03/10 at 09:58:12:
Some folks at the bike shop said it's cause the bike is "small" and so it just has more vibration issues than a heavier bike.  

Which is baloney.

Here's what I learned with my other bikes.

-- The rubber cones in the bar mount don't really damp vibration. They can even make it worse. Have someone machine new cones out of aluminum so the bar is solidly mounted.

-- Longer bars vibrate more. It's like a tuning fork.

-- Thumb cramp has little to do with the bars or grips or gloves or vibration. I get thumb cramp even on very smooth four and six cylinder touring bikes. It's the the continuous muscle contraction. So every now and then I move my thumb to the top of the grip, next to the fingers. The muscles can relax and the pressure is removed from the nerves and blood vessels. If you're cruising along straight open road, put the bike in neutral once in a while and coast with your hand off the throttle. Hold it high, hold it low, wiggle it around.

-- Try not to ride with your wrists bent. Again, that tires the muscles quicker and puts pressure on nerves and blood vessels.

-- Barrel shaped grips fit the shape of your hand much better than cylindrical grips. Pressure is transfered to your palms. With a cylindrical grip, there's pressure on the area between your thumb and forefinger.

-- Try gloves with gel in the palm. Foam just smashes. Gel damps vibrations better.

I wish you success in solving your problem.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/03/10 at 15:23:08

I feel your pain.  I recently starting taking my S40 for longer rides now that I have a windshield and don't feel like I am being blown off the back.

I'm 6'2 and 240, so the bike definitely is working when it takes me down the road ...LOL.

People use to complain about the vibration and I use to think, "What vibration", but I was mostly riding around town at speeds of around 50.  Now that I am going hops of 60+ miles I have it up in the 70s just like the cars and NOW I do feel some vibration...LOL.

The first time I stopped after a long run, my arms TINGLED from the wrists to the elbows for 15 minutes.  That said, I am discovering the virbration only bothers me for about 15 minutes then the body just seems to get use to it.  I am learning to enjoy numb.

The cramping in the hands is another matter.  The last trip I took was 112 miles and my hands were definitely cramping up.  I think I am gripping the bars too tight and not taking the time to flex them out from time to time.  I noticed a few suggestions in a post above that sound good for that.  I'm going to try them too.

Good luck,

Hal

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 12/03/10 at 15:24:55

And  check all the engine fasteners for correct tightness, the ones that go through the foot peg brackets, the 3 at the top of the engine, the 2 at the back-1 low and 1 high. If they are not tight as required you will get more vibration all over. Also I like ISO grips, they are bigger and absorb what little vibration there is on my 2 bikes. I do have longer bars on the side car and they don't vibrate any more than the buckhorns. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/03/10 at 16:03:34

Once youve proved you dont have an extra induced vibration because of loose mounts, then, get some gel filled in the palm gloves & practice seeing how lightly you can hold the throttle & not let it slide in your hand. It took me a while to get just the right grip to hold the gas on & not wind up with a numb hand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/03/10 at 20:08:07

do you ride with some of your fingers over the front brake lever??
i think some msc course recommend you do..
i dont cept some time in traffic when the cagers are actin jiggy..
for longer rides i alternate with my thumb on top with the rest of my fingers..these half century plus old digits get cramped also, not from vibration,vibration is like massage to me..
when i ride in tense full situations (like tomorrow with 800 other bikers) i get more cramps/fatigued then when i ride a lil more relaxed..
relaxed but still alert(after all every other driver/biker out there is a potential killer)..
gotta find your comfy spot..some times let go the throttle(when its safe)a shake it out....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 12/04/10 at 14:01:53

i concur with max bolts do come loose.
grip the bars like your are handling a raw egg.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 12/04/10 at 15:47:24

I do the glide and shake all the time. It seems like the throttle hand goes numb before anything else. Others have said the same. Gloves don't seem to help a whole lot. And some days it seems to vibrate more than other days. Not sure why that is.....

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #12 - 12/05/10 at 14:49:41

vista cruise - throttle lock - will let you relax the thumb for a bit.  It IS adjustable while locked.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #13 - 12/05/10 at 19:38:53

I have been doing some thinking on this thread. I have heard from several people that the gel insoles will help relieve the vibrations in your feet when riding this bike.
I was wondering if you could attach one of the gel insoles to your grips and it work for your hands as well? I realze they sell gel seats and gloves. So again just thinking if you attached the insole directly to the grip that it may help with the problem.  Undecided kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/05/10 at 19:42:54

kimchris1 wrote on 12/05/10 at 19:38:53:
I have been doing some thinking on this thread. I have heard from several people that the gel insoles will help relieve the vibrations in your feet when riding this bike.
I was wondering if you could attach one of the gel insoles to your grips and it work for your hands as well? I realze they sell gel seats and gloves. So again just thinking if you attached the insole directly to the grip that it may help with the problem.  Undecided kim

Sure, it would help, but why not use gloves that protect the hand, even IF that hand isnt on the bars? 'Sides, its gonna look tacky & get nasty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:17:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grip Vibration Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.