CPR course (Read 146 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: CPR course
Reply #15 - 11/29/10 at 15:51:08

My father-in-law was a firefighter for most of his working life. He helped set up the local Rescue Unit many years ago. He certified in SCUBA, later becoming the instructor. He quit diving after he found a badly decomposed child's body which came apart when he tried to remove it. He then became a certified electrician and wired up fire trucks and new fire halls.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 11/29/10 at 16:25:24

EricTheRed wrote on 11/29/10 at 14:20:18:
My wife was an EMT.  Just be aware that this is a tough job with a high suicide and alcoholism rate, many EMT's burnout after a few years.  You will have toddlers, teens, pregnant women and young men literally die in your hands.  You will crawl into flipped cars in the rain at 3 a.m. full of teenagers and decide who gets out first and lives and who waits and likely dies, and you won't even know how many are there and all you have is a small flashlight.  You will have to ignore the pain of others, if they're screaming they're breathing, move on to the next one, and believe with all your heart and soul you are their best and only hope, if you couldn't save them no one could.

Wow, powerful words Eric. As the mother of an EMT, I thank you.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #17 - 11/30/10 at 06:19:41

Good responses, thanks!

I've seen what 1st responders go through. I've shot enough blood and guts during my 15 years shooting news, and a lot of it wasn't pretty. For the most part I'm able to keep a cool head, remain calm and block out everything, but still, shooting from the sidelines is a lot different than being in the middle of it. Whenever we see the scene of a fatal and the cops may be cracking little jokes, that's gallows humor. It's the way some of them deal with it.

My Dad was a NYC Police Officer and told me a story about the first fatal he'd been called to; a guy either fell or jumped from the roof of a building and landed on one of those big iron picket fence type things. Yeah, nasty stuff.

I found a hospital that offers the 120 hour certification course. Only one day falls on my work day. I'll have to figure some way around it. Taking my NRA RSO courses in January also. Got my pistol safety certification already, but that was an easy one.

Must keep going forward. Being unhappy with my job and not doing anything about it is a waste of time.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:02:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › CPR course

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.