Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Arctic Cat ATV
11/23/10 at 05:13:46

Hey guys,

I know this is not savage related, not even a motorcycle, I guess.  But I bought an 01 arctic cat 300 4x4 and have a couple of questions about it.  I went to a couple of ATV forums, one was arctic cat specific and got nothing.  I know there are folks here who speak up even when they know nothing. Wink

Here are my questions, for anyone that can help.

Anyone know of a source for an owner's manual and a spare key?  I know I can go to the dealer, but what is the fun in that?  We here seem to find and make everything we need.

I found this link to lock the front diff:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/arctic-cat/26907-300-4x4-front-diff-lock.html
Would you thnk there is any danger in doing this?  It makes it harder to steer, but I expected that.  I now have 2wd, 4wd (really 3 wheel drive) and 4wd (locked differential).

So any arctic cats out there in savage land?

thanks alot
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Arctic Cat ATV
Reply #1 - 11/23/10 at 05:20:39

I would think the locked diff. would be for slow driving in muddy conditions not for going fast.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/23/10 at 08:26:56

Yep, Id stay away from locked differentials unless its time to get in deep slimy stuff or snow.
As for a key. thers no telling where ya might find a blank. Maybe at Lowes or, mite just hafta visit the dealer.
I used to have an ATV forum I visited, but lost it when the puter crapped out.

Just b/c it has 4 wheels doesnt mean ya cant get crippled up on it. Be safe & dress according to the risks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 11/23/10 at 17:30:33

I'd think twice about locking the front differential as it and the driveline were not designed to be operated that way. Also on icy surfaces you may find it impossible to turn with the front wheels turning at the same speed, even cranked over. From what I read on the Kawasaki MULE site, the newer ATV/UTV have limited slip front axles and a releasing mechanism in the transfer case or driveline to prevent damage. They take a special front axle lube and owners who don't RTFM* then complain about the front axle clicking in 2x drive. Online experts tell them to drain the oil and go back to Kawa lube and that seems to solve the problem. *Read The Factory Manual.  Re the spare key, either order one from the dealer or go by the oldest independent key shop where there is a locksmith who knows his business, one of them here found a blank that worked on my Italian GIVI trunk and side bag. The hardware store folks haven't the experience or information to help you. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 11/24/10 at 03:21:41

Thanks for the input.  Locking the front diff is not an all the time thing, just when I need the extra pull, same for the 4x4 option.  Maybe I do need to take a trip to the dealer.  Max, that was the kind of thing I wanted to know.  As far as I can find, no one has listed any issues, but that is not the final word.

JOG, I know those things can cripple or kill you.  We always try to be careful, but I am a fat old guy, not trying to jump the creek, etc and if I can go around the mud that is usually the way I want to go.  But, being careful is certainly important.  

I have a honda 300 fourtrax 2x4.  It is a great bike and has served me very well.  But my son is getting big enough that both of us on one bike is too much.  My daughter (17 yo) went with me last week to check my stands and look around, she rode with a friend (actually drove his bike with him on the back), she loved riding as well.  i have been trying to get her to go for years and she never wanted to, was about to give up on her.  So, that was the reason for the addition of the arctic cat.

Thanks for the help, if anyone knows anything else, I would appreciate anything else.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:10:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Arctic Cat ATV

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.