Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pedaling Back through Time (Read 52 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Pedaling Back through Time
11/22/10 at 15:52:37

Last week I spent a lot of time bicycling the New River Trail. There's a lot of history along that trail. Some of the things I found out fascinated me.                          Here's an old train trestle I pedaled across the river                    The river is beautiful                                   Here's my cycling buddy Ronnie goofing off at the mouth of a train tunnel.                                                                                                    This is a memorial to the Austin family who owned the lead mines and who later help settle Texas                                                                                                                                                               With the lead mines came this engineering materpiece. It amazes me how smart people were back then                                                  Here's a shot of the Shot Tower. I wanted to go up in it but it was closed for the season.                                                                                                                                                           Another shot of the Shot Tower                                                   This is US52 crossing the river at the former site of Jackson's Ferry, I remember reading about Jackson's Ferry about in history class.                            This is the old Train Staion and hotel at Foster Falls, a major train station back in the day.                         I cant tell you how many times I've come through here on my motorcycle and I didnt know any of this existed. Other than the obvious physical exercise, this is what I love about bicycling. Ernest Hemmingway said in order to get the true lay of the land you must ride a bycycle. No truer words were ever spoken.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Pedaling Back through Time
Reply #1 - 11/22/10 at 16:47:08

Toe TRaps, Midnightrider, will change how hard it is to ride up a hill in ways you wouldnt imagine. Theyre safe, as long as you dont tighten them too much to be able to pull your foot back out.

uhh, lets not talk about that anymore..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 11/22/10 at 18:12:44

Great pictures man, and you are looking nice and healthy!  Cheers!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 11/22/10 at 22:39:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/22/10 at 16:47:08:
Toe TRaps, Midnightrider, will change how hard it is to ride up a hill in ways you wouldnt imagine. Theyre safe, as long as you dont tighten them too much to be able to pull your foot back out.

uhh, lets not talk about that anymore..

Justin I have a fancy smancy carbon fiber racing bicycle that weighs less than 15 lbs. I paid more for it than I did my Savage. I have toe traps on it. You're right they are great uphill and I average 19 mph with the bicycle on level pavement. I know what happens when you have the toe traps too tight and thats all I'm gonna say about that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:07:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pedaling Back through Time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.