Greetings from HOME ! (Read 138 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Greetings from HOME !
Reply #15 - 11/23/10 at 02:39:52

Give us an idea of the cost of living there ? I doubt there is any building going on, what you see is what you get. Like housing costs ? food ? utility's ? .  I bet the same family's have lived in the same house for years.

Housing in Lerici and Portovenere is hideously expensive !

What was a mere fishing village in the 1950s became a nice place to go for your Sunday stroll in the 1960s, discos opened in the 1970s and...
...well, a modern apartment with a view will easily go for 7000-8000 Euro/sq.meter, so a medium-sized apartment (80sq.m. = 800 sq.ft.) will retail for 600thousand Euro.
That's ...  Roll Eyes ... 7x8=56... x 1,35 = US $ 750.000 !!!

Gasoline is currently at E.1.30 (regular) and E.1.45 (premium) to one liter, multiply by 1.35 and multiply again by 3.85 to have $/gal. prices
(warning: Do not do this without medical assistance!) $7.50/gal ..  Embarrassed
Utilities such as electricity are about 10-11 Eurocents/Kilowatt.
Water is... rainwater, riverwater collected and driven in public plumbing, of course we pay for public water works but it's cheap.

Internet is one of the cheapest in Europe, the average is a flat E.20/month for unlimited ADSL (4-5Mbits) and free local calls, everybody with a computer will have this kind of connection.
Only those without a computer will still have the "old" analogue phone lines, which by the way are actually more expensive...
So nobody has dialup any more, it's simply obsolete and has been phased out.

My Dad's apartment is valued in the range of one million Euro, that's $1.4million, not because he's rich (he bought it in the mid '70s when housing was affordable) but because prices have skyrocketed.
Mind you, I'm talking about a top floor 3 bedroom apartment with a double dining room+living room, garage, cellar + terrace upstairs, it's most unusual.

He was just lucky he bought a house with a view. BTW he still has dialup...

Similarly, I house hunted in Ronme until I found a top floor apartment in a condo with a (relatively) large estate, so from my windows I can see a good half mile away over treetops, no rooftops nor anybodyelse's windows to block the view !
I have ADSL with two phone lines and 10MBit link, E.40/month flat rate with unlimited calls nationwide  Cool

Again, unusual.

BUT in Italy the average "dwelling" will be a 750-800 sq.m. two bedrooms apartment in a 5-10 story condo, car parked somewhere in the street, with other 5-10 story condos all around you.

Just roam with Google Earth or Google Maps Street View and see what Lerici is like ("walk" the narrow alleys and have fun!)

The outskirts of Rome, or Milan (or Paris) are completely different.

We have a tradition of multi-story condos, way back in ancient Rome there was a neighborhood called "Centum Cellae" it still survives today as "Centocelle", the name means "the one hundred condos", even in ancient Rome they had 3, 4 story buildnigs in brickwork, shops on street level, the well-off would live on the second floor, the only one with a brickwork floor, so you could actually have a fireplace and cook your own food, 3rd floor and on up the floor was made of planks and straw, so there was no way anyone could cook their own food, people would go to the local bakery and other shops and buy ready-made dishes.
Hey !
The Romans invented fast food joints !!!
Cheesy
BTW my house is at 41º56'34"N, 12º34'45.50"E on GoogleEarth; the pic was taken last summer so it's all yellow and dry, the estate has buildings set up in a fashion to look like a huge "G" with green lawn and birch and poplar trees; you will notice my view from the top floor looking SouthEast will go a looong way compared to the neighbors !!!  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #16 - 11/23/10 at 11:43:56

Beautiful pics, I bet it's hard to have a bad day watching that kind of sunset! Thanks for sharing!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/23/10 at 12:35:23

Maurizio, I must ask. Do you get special housing privilages because of your rank ? I mean to say a Colonel is a pretty high rank.In the British army they command a complete regiment, well him and the RSM  Wink
I remember our CO had 6 pigs on the army property,that were fed  slop from the mess everyday,so they got plenty to eat.
I'm assuming you are a full time Army Officer ?
                               Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 11/24/10 at 05:22:42

mick wrote on 11/23/10 at 12:35:23:
Maurizio, I must ask. Do you get special housing privilages because of your rank ? I mean to say a Colonel is a pretty high rank.In the British army they command a complete regiment, well him and the RSM  Wink
I remember our CO had 6 pigs on the army property,that were fed  slop from the mess everyday,so they got plenty to eat.
I'm assuming you are a full time Army Officer ?
                               Mick

Believe it or not, Mick, the only two times I got housing rpivilegs was when I was in the UK (one year in Camberley, Surrey, and two years in Upavon, Wilts, just north of Stonehenge) and when I was a Battallion Commander in Sardinia.

Else, I had to find myself an apartment and pay the rent out of pocket.

The house...OK apartment I live in now is my own, bought it in 2002 for some 80thou Euro, in those days it was roughly the equivalent to $80 (give or take) now it's valued 4 times as much, talk of a lucky investment !!! Mortgage expires in 2017.

What benefits do I get ? Free medical care for all the family (just consider my son has been seeing the dentist FREE for the last 6 years, 8 times/year for his braces) and a free bus pass...
If I retire after 35 years, my pension will be some 80% of my pay, but if I hang on tight and retire after 41 years, I could well "graduate" to 105% of my pay.
Promoted one rank up the day before I leave and sidestep into the Reserve, that's how it works.

So, I have to decide whether to leave and see the world or hang in there for the extra money.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/24/10 at 09:20:11

Wow ! I was stationed in Warminster  Wilts you must know the place,
My  regiment was there for my last year as a training regiment ,we trained infantry to work with tanks,using us for cover and that sort of thing, Some very nice pubs in Warminster, they also sell "Scrumpy" did you ever drink that ? they say if you drink enough of it you will go blind. Maybe just an old wives tale, my mom told me doing some thing else will make me blind, I did lose most of my sight in my left eye,
Oh oh ,she was right.I had better stop,shoot I forgot what it was now.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #20 - 11/24/10 at 09:36:05

[quote author=5F5B5159465A575E5B5F574B320 link=1290412520/15#19 date=1290619211]Wow ! I was stationed in Warminster  Wilts you must know the place,
My  regiment was there for my last year as a training regiment ,we trained infantry to work with tanks,using us for cover and that sort of thing, Some very nice pubs in Warminster, they also sell "Scrumpy" did you ever drink that ? they say if you drink enough of it you will go blind. Maybe just an old wives tale...[\quote]

Of course I know warminster ! ITC it's called now, Infantry Training Centre, there's a beautiful Regimental Museum there, too.
As for the ale (do NOT call it beer!) I remember a wonderful unpasteurized ale they made in Devizes called "Pigswill", strong as an angry mother-in-law !!!  
Wink

Quote:
My mom told me doing some thing else will make me blind, I did lose most of my sight in my left eye,
Oh oh ,she was right.I had better stop,shoot I forgot what it was now.

That's because you were looking in only one direction, not my fault, you were doing the lookin'
Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 11/24/10 at 09:42:10

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #22 - 11/24/10 at 09:48:40

thankyou Sir,
I am going to take my nap now ,will enjoy reading the stuff you posted later.   Mick

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:54:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Greetings from HOME !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.