mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
the old days.
11/21/10 at 17:48:57

Ok guys here is a nice treat coming up for you if you take 30 seconds
to get there,First google this < SandSpeedWales > using the three caps as shown.  and then click on Jack Danials 37. Jack was as fearless as they come my Dad was his best friend and mechanic.
anyway scroll down and I do believe I get a couple of mentions, fame at last ( I'm kidding about the fame) but I do get mentioned, I tried to bring it up here but it's to big or it's copy writed , there are two pics you have already seen that belonged to my Dad. Enjoy

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: the old days.
Reply #1 - 11/21/10 at 19:07:14

cool stuff, Mick!

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #2 - 11/21/10 at 21:00:07

Lots of great history! Being a fan of Jack Daniels (The drink not the racer) , I took all that in but the whole read is overwhelming. I bookmarked the site. Even the links go on to more fascinating stuff. I clicked on the Six Days page and almost got lost again. Thanks Pal, very good stuff about the real days of glory rather then $$$$$ like now.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/21/10 at 22:01:27

Lupo wrote on 11/21/10 at 21:00:07:
Lots of great history! Being a fan of Jack Daniels (The drink not the racer) , I took all that in but the whole read is overwhelming. I bookmarked the site. Even the links go on to more fascinating stuff. I clicked on the Six Days page and almost got lost again. Thanks Pal, very good stuff about the real days of glory rather then $$$$$ like now.

yes sir you are right there ,did you notice none of the racers had ads on there leathers. Yes put it in you favorites ,pop back when your feeling low ,or it's pissing down rain.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 11/21/10 at 22:58:19

Is this you, Mick ?

You lucky old boy !!! Far too much rocket science in races nowadays, unfortunately...
...believe it or not, I miss two stroke twins and triples screaming like banshees with a trail of "perfume" of castor oil behind them...

If I could have a time machine, I'd round up all my savings and go back to the 1950s, you could like like a king on a thousand/month back then...

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 11/22/10 at 03:58:07

mpescatori wrote on 11/21/10 at 22:58:19:
http://www.sandspeedwales.co.uk/mediac/400_0/media/JDBCC.jpg

Is this you, Mick ?

You lucky old boy !!! Far too much rocket science in races nowadays, unfortunately...
...believe it or not, I miss two stroke twins and triples screaming like banshees with a trail of "perfume" of castor oil behind them...

If I could have a time machine, I'd round up all my savings and go back to the 1950s, you could like like a king on a thousand/month back then...

Cool

how did you get that picture posted ,I couldn't do it.
Sitting on his vincent after he won the IOM TT race in the unlimited class is Jack Danials,on his left is Harold Bragg, they owned a M/C repair shop Where I had my very first Job, "Bragg & Danials"
However Jack had already been killed when I started work under there Names, he was my Dad's best buddy,thats how I got the job.
Harold did not road race ,he was a scrambler and very good at it,many many trophies, and a fun guy to work for.  
PS,A thousand a month ! wow back then I was paid 30 shilling a week,
or 1 and a half pounds,or 6 dollars a week ,I was just an apprentis ,My dad who was a Camera technition made  about 15 pounds a week,or $65 .  So yes a thousand a month you would be on easy street.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 11/22/10 at 07:02:07

Frank W Haines, had been involved in flying & photography & opened probably the most noted Photographic premises in the area, in 1949 at the age of 40! & still a well skilled motorcyclist FW (seen here with Bill Rowe (father of Mick D Rowe both now of Oregon USA) his 'mechanic' & who was a skilled Camera Repair technician). Frank W Haines decided he would race in the Isle of Man TT, he even obtained the Racing number 40 for his 348cc Norton, what was to follow provided him with a recorded sequence portraying skill, determination plus bravery?, we shall enlarge upon each pic as time allows. These pics courtesy of Julie Riera & John D Haines mark some Pics reaching FW's Swansea Shop for developing, another absolute chance which can not really be explained.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 11/22/10 at 07:35:11

And sure enough, this is the retake. showing there was no 'lucky heather' under the front number plate.  This is where Mick Rowe was a mechanic and Harold would drive to work in his Lanchester semi-automatic, singing opera loudly & here is to where Mick Rowe rode his Rudge & Harold's son Colin rode his Cafe racer style Royal Enfield.  Mick Rowe is in our Guest book and would be delighted to contact Colin Bragg again to yarn about past days.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/22/10 at 08:43:46

Well thank you Mike,can I ask a favor while I have you ,could you draw out 3 or four pictures of Frank Haines coming off his bike ,getting back to finish the race.like the artical said Frank had that photography shop ,a customer bought a roll of film in , my Mom who worked in the D and P department noticed the prints were of Frank crashing. Very strange concidering Frank didn't know the guy ,and the guy didn't know frank,just a huge coinsidence.
I would appreciate it mike if you could dig em out,   Mick

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 11/22/10 at 09:47:41

The crash

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 11/22/10 at 09:51:51

Recieving help after the crash.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 11/22/10 at 09:54:19

Check out the damage to the helmet.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 11/22/10 at 09:56:25

Finishing the race!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/22/10 at 10:19:45

Midnightrider wrote on 11/22/10 at 09:51:51:

Help? Looks to me like people are all over him, tellin him,,

"Now you get your butt Back out there & You WIN this thing".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 11/22/10 at 10:30:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/22/10 at 10:19:45:
Midnightrider wrote on 11/22/10 at 09:51:51:

Help? Looks to me like people are all over him, tellin him,,

"Now you get your butt Back out there & You WIN this thing".

I tell ya Frank was very tight with a buck, he knew he got nothing if retired during the race, if he finished he got his starting mony back,and that was all,probably 50 pounds

By the way the #40 on his bike was his age.
Another interesting factoid ,him and my dad had a standing bet of $5000, on who out lived the other, my dad won by 3 years.
the money was being held by his daughter Julie, my sisters friend . but she never did say she was holding the mony until her Dad died.

« Last Edit: 11/22/10 at 14:43:55 by mick »  

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:29:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › the old days.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.