Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unidentified Spring? - Help (Read 209 times)
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Unidentified Spring? - Help
11/08/10 at 18:45:39

Hi Guys & Gals;

I don't know if I am simple or paranoid...

I have a tired runner (88) and a Parts bike (87).
I pulled the clutch cover off the Parts bike a few weeks ago, and waited for a gasket to pull the running bike apart.
I finally pulled the cover off the running bike with intentions to inspect the timing chain adjuster (16mm) and swap the clutch.
I found presents from the previous owner! A tooth and some fragments sat there at the bottom of the clutch galley. So I broke out the magnet and combed the Crank (mid) case as best I could. I got a total of 4 teeth and a mangled spring.
So I swapped out the clutch, assembled it and stopped for the eve.
I wanted to read the tensioner thread to see if 16mm was good before buttoning up the cover.
Confirmed, 16 - ok, 18 - danger, I go to button the cover and I see a spring about 3/8" x 2.5"...hmm I don't remember where that came from. So I look at the other cover, huh there's another darn spring. I have read the manual clutch section 3x, no mention of this magic spring. I have looked at all the online parts diagrams and I can't see no stinking spring.
So I repeat, am I simple and totally forgot where I removed it from upon disassembly of 2 clutch covers and clutches; or am I paranoid after finding the mangled spring and 4 teeth, and reading about so many freaking potential grenades in this Savage?
Help, Anyone?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Unidentified Spring? - Help
Reply #1 - 11/08/10 at 19:21:46

A mangled spring generally says the cam chanin tesnioner cam apart..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/08/10 at 19:22:58

most likely it the cam chain tensioner spring.
unless you took it off, you can't see it (na nana na na)
You got tension on the chain?  then it's in there.
2mm to go? about 2k miles.

run your magnet around as best you can, you don't need those things floating around waiting for a good bump.

WWW   IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/08/10 at 22:01:22

Hi Guys;
Thanks for the input.
I should say that after looking again at the spring it is more like 1/4"  x 2.5" not 3/8".
It certainly isn't the tensioner spring, however based on the feed back that I have about 2K miles, I modified mine tonight.
As for the mangled spring, I don't care waht that was.
I am guessing that I never missed anything in the reassembly of the clutch, I reviewed it enough times that I feel comfident the spring came from somewhere else.(?)

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 11/09/10 at 06:11:11

There's only two spring in the whole clutch assembly. One large spring inside, in between the hub and the plate. The other very small one outside on the arm.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 11/09/10 at 14:57:50

Arnold wrote on 11/09/10 at 06:11:11:
There's only two spring in the whole clutch assembly. One large spring inside, in between the hub and the plate. The other very small one outside on the arm.

Don't forget the four springs under the pressure plate bolts.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/09/10 at 15:13:38

One large spring between the hub & the plate...I never pulled the basket off, would I have seen this one? How big?
Also, I read somewhere else about the oil pump drive gear...hmm. I had the basket pull away from the case maybe 1.5"-2" while pulling the clutch pack out. Is there a chance the pump won't pump? This to me sounds crazy and I wouldn't have given this two thoughts, then I read that if the pump gears Arnt assembled in certain alignment the pumps effecientcy is greatly reduced - really?

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/11/10 at 23:37:33

a service manuel would be a great help, I let mine go with the bike when I sold it. I'm sure that would help solve your problem, I would worrie about those bits of metal your magnet found,and no way in heII
would I even crank the engine over without finding where those bits and pieces came from,  good luck

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/12/10 at 05:37:02

mick wrote on 11/11/10 at 23:37:33:
a service manuel would be a great help, I let mine go with the bike when I sold it. I'm sure that would help solve your problem, I would worrie about those bits of metal your magnet found,and no way in heII
would I even crank the engine over without finding where those bits and pieces came from,  good luck

+1, Id be hunting where the parts came from, & Id KNOW I had gotten rid of all of it.

Springs dont get out of the clutch pack going down the road. Im thinking the spring he found was somethng that got loose while it was running, I only kow of one place that can happen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/12/10 at 14:02:23

Hey Guys;
I know where the teeth came from. The previous owner had a valve failure and the generator and matching gear suffered damage. He changed the Cylinder and up, the generator and matching gear with the parts bike. But he never took the time or had the smarts to get all the bits out. That might also explain the mangled spring? Looking back at it I guess the tensioner failed then he lost a valve and so on.
My question was about the non mangled spring I seemed to have remaining after reassembling the clutch. I became paranoid due to the fact that there seems to be a few common issues with the bike resulting in severe failure. It was all about timing of finding broken parts from a previous failure and a spring from ny assembly.

As for the manual, I have one and I don't see the spring in the exploded view, so where did it come from? I don't know and I guess time will tell if I ever will.

And about the oil pump gear, I just can't believe the pump pumps diffently depending on the alignment of it's drive gear.

Anyway, I got it back together and running. I hope to post some pictures of the tensioner mod I did, as well as a clutch tool I made.
Soon I hope.

Thanks for the feed back.

Next stage is to transform the parts bike tank and fenders to the final look I want.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/12/10 at 15:22:05

Be carefull with that oil pump gear, in one orientation it can become disengaged and not pump.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/12/10 at 22:19:42

And about the oil pump gear, I just can't believe the pump pumps diffently depending on the alignment of it's drive gear.

The gears isnt flat. Its a bit offset. Backwards & the teeth dont engage/
Itll "pump" a lot different when its not turning.

Can you say

Walking?

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #12 - 11/13/10 at 00:32:15

If the tensioner parted at one time, the spring could be the wee one of the ratchet paul on the tensioner

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:43:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unidentified Spring? - Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.