Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover (Read 209 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover
08/08/20 at 22:33:50

This is the third in a series of reports outlining my big bore engine project.  Part 1 covered the cylinder.  Part 2 covered the cylinder head.  If you haven’t read Parts 1 or 2 you can find them here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1593567475

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1595224521/0

Part 3 covers the cylinder head cover.  I have incorporated several modifications to the head cover for improved oiling.  Since I will be running a high lift cam and the associated heavy valve springs, the cam bearings, cam lobes, and rocker arms will need all the help they can get.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover
Reply #1 - 08/08/20 at 22:36:37

Some of the camshafts available for the LS650 are actually DR650 camshafts.  The DR650 does not incorporate oiling holes in the cam lobes.  If you intend to run a DR650 camshaft you should consider drilling oil holes in the cam lobes.  I will be running a Web 402 grind in my Big Bore engine.  The Web 402 is a DR cam so I drilled oil holes in the cam lobes.

The cam lobes are hard faced.  You need a #1 solid carbide center drill and a #47 solid carbide drill bit.

Drills_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/08/20 at 22:37:51

To properly locate the oil holes in the cam lobes, I start by installing the cam chain sprocket on the stock camshaft.  Then lightly clamp the sprocket in a machinist’s vice and adjust/align the camshaft by rotating it and using the cross feeds until the #47 drill bit aligns perfectly with the existing oil hole in the stock camshaft.  Lock the worktable in place and fully tighten the machinist’s vice.  That will lock the setup in proper alignment for drilling the first cam lobe.

Oil_Hole_Drilling_Find_Center_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/08/20 at 22:38:48

Now, swap out the stock cam with the new cam.  Make sure you loosen & tighten the bolts without shifting the sprocket in the vice.  The drill chuck will be in correct alignment for drilling the first cam lobe.

Start the hole and apply the chamfer with the #1 center drill, then finish up with the #47 drill.

Oil_Hole_Drilling_Start_Hole_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/08/20 at 22:39:30

You end up with a nice chamfered hole.  Repeat the process for the other cam lobe.

OIl_Hole_Cam_Lobe_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 08/08/20 at 22:40:04

The rocker arms are not pressure lubricated.  They rely solely on splash lubrication.  There is a hole in the top of each rocker arm that acts as a reservoir for oil.  That’s not much oil.  To improve the footprint for catching oil, I apply a large chamfer to each rocker arm oiling hole.

Int_Complete2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/08/20 at 22:40:41

And I grind a feed notch in the thrust face on the left-hand side of each rocker arm.  There are wave washers on the right side so there is ample room for splash oil to work between the thrust face and wave washer, but on the left side the thrust face is in contact with the opposing aluminum surface so there’s not much room for oil to work it’s way into the joint.  I figure the notch will help a bit.

Int_LH_Slot2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 08/08/20 at 22:41:25

Here you can see how tight the left side of the rocker arm is held against the aluminum head cover.  The wave-washer maintains constant pressure on the rocker arm.  The notch will allow splash oil to work into the joint from the top.

Exhaust_Rocker_Side_Clearance_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 08/08/20 at 22:42:41

The exhaust rocker shaft is locked in place by a bolt.  The rocker arm rotates on the shaft but the shaft can’t rotate in the aluminum head cover because of the bolt.  The wear is confined to the rocker shaft and the rocker arm.  Those components are relatively inexpensive as compared to the head cover, which comes as part of the cylinder head assembly.  Ya gotta buy the whole head to get a new head cover.

In contrast, the intake rocker shaft is free floating.  It is not locked to the head cover, so it turns in the head cover.  That rotation results in wear.  I figure the bores in the head cover in way of the intake rocker shaft should have as much lubrication as possible.  The high lift cam with the heavy valve springs will put a lot more load on the rocker shafts.

The right-side bore for the intake rocker shaft is well exposed to splash oil, but the left side bore is almost completely isolated.   To provide additional lubrication to the left side bore, I drill a small hole in the cavity adjacent to the left-hand cam bearing.  That allows pressurized oil to feed up to the rocker shaft bore in the head cover.

Intake_Rocker_Oiling_Hole_with_Rocker_Installed_2_markup2.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 08/08/20 at 22:43:23

Here you can see how the new feed hole breaks into the sealed void on the left side of the intake rocker shaft.  It’s a dead-end so I’m not worried about losing oil pressure, but at least the end of the shaft will be wetted with oil which will permit the oil to wick into the clearance between the shaft and the bore.  It has to help.  Note the sealant under the head of the bolt.

Intake_Rocker_Void_Oil_Puddle_2_markup_2.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 08/08/20 at 22:44:05

I run an oil pressure gage that reads pressure off the head cover.  I currently tap into the head cover at the right-rear head cover bolt hole.   It works well but there isn’t a lot of material in this area.  You can only cut about two threads.  For this Big Bore project, I decided to move the pressure tap to the transverse oil passage.

Oil_Press_Gage_4_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/08/20 at 22:44:48

This location permits full thread depth, but the wall thickness is a bit thin.  I used a 90° fitting (1/8 NPT x 1/8 tube).  A 1/16 NPT fitting would have been ideal, but I couldn’t find one in a 90° configuration.

Ftg_Final_Install_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 08/08/20 at 22:45:37

You can see here how thin the wall gets.  With tapered threads you run the risk of cracking the wall when you tighten the fitting.  I opted for drilling and tapping slightly oversize (Letter “W” drill) and then setting the fitting with epoxy.  The epoxy will form the oil tight seal.  I think it came out good.

_125_NPT_Thin_Wall_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 08/08/20 at 22:46:13

The epoxy application was straight forward.  JB Weld is my go-to glue.  To prevent any epoxy from fouling the oil passage you must leave the first thread dry.  The copper washer is used to set the final position of the fitting when tight.  Just sand down the washer until you achieve the desired position when the fitting is tight.  Once you are comfy with the installed position of the fitting, take it apart, apply the epoxy, and make it up permanent.  You can do a full visual inspection by looking up through the oil passage to make sure no epoxy entered the passage.

Ftg_with_Epoxy_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 08/08/20 at 22:46:57

This story wouldn’t be complete without discussing the wave-washers.  Those rascals can be a real pain in the keester.  You can get em started easy enough, but then the edge of the washer always seems to get hung up in the bore.  They’re pretty sharp too.  Seems to me if you got carried away you could put a real bad slice in your finger.   It’s tempting to just leave those little suckers out, but I bet she would be one helluva rattle trap without those wavy little devils.

Wave_Washer.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 10:50:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.