colonoscopy (Read 105 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
colonoscopy
11/05/10 at 18:45:21

Subject: Colonoscopy........this is hilarious!!!!

ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through   Minneapolis.

Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven.  I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies..

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation.  In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep.  You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug.  This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch?  This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt.  You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently.  You eliminate everything.  And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous.  Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage.  I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?'  How do you apologize to a friend for something like that?  Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked..

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand.  Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down.  Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep..  
At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode.  You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist.  I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere.  I was seriously nervous at this point.

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA.  I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me.

'Ha ha,' I said.  And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade.  If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea.  Really.  I slept through it.  One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt.  I felt excellent.  I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies...
Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:
  1.  Take it easy Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

12. 'God, now I know why I am not gay.'

And the best one of all:
13. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: colonoscopy
Reply #1 - 11/05/10 at 22:52:22

come on guys , nobody liked this one ?????
I thought it was pretty funny,Oh well.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 11/05/10 at 22:58:01

I got a chuckle out of it. Having a wife who is a RN gives me a disturbing sense of humor at times. Reminds me of a prior post regarding Chili... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267116009/0#0  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/05/10 at 22:58:31

ROTFLMAO!!!.... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin....
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/06/10 at 00:53:25

My 4 year old grand daughter and son were in the room when I woke up and she asked the doctor if he found her gerbel in my butt.
Seriously, the stuff you have to drink now has no flavor. It used to taste like vomit. The procedure is painless and you have no idea whats going on anyway. Not that you would want to. But don't put off having it done because the consequences of putting it off can kill you.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 11/06/10 at 01:02:09

Your right stringer my wife died of colon cancer 25 years ago She wouldn't have a colonoscopy done because her mother had one done years before and said it really hurt,Maybe they didn't put her to sleep.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/06/10 at 01:21:20

PITA
I personally think it is much overused as great source of revenue.
I totally mistrust the procedure as there are too many ways a doctor can do something while he is in there that guarentees that you will need to come back for further treatment.
For one thing, the procedure requires that the bowel be inflated so that they get an unobstructed view.  A bit of over inflation results in a distended bowel that causes unhealthy unregularity including chronic constipation which can result in other worse problems, but that just means more income for the doctor.
Sort of like a dentist who may nick a healthy tooth while a jaw is numb to give a future cavity a start.  or use old fashioned toxic metal fillings knowing that someday that will require further attention
Just job  security you know.

Phelonius Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/06/10 at 08:55:32

Phelonius wrote on 11/06/10 at 01:21:20:
PITA
I personally think it is much overused as great source of revenue.
I totally mistrust the procedure as there are too many ways a doctor can do something while he is in there that guarentees that you will need to come back for further treatment.
For one thing, the procedure requires that the bowel be inflated so that they get an unobstructed view.  A bit of over inflation results in a distended bowel that causes unhealthy unregularity including chronic constipation which can result in other worse problems, but that just means more income for the doctor.
Sort of like a dentist who may nick a healthy tooth while a jaw is numb to give a future cavity a start.  or use old fashioned toxic metal fillings knowing that someday that will require further attention
Just job  security you know.

Phelonius Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

you have as much faith in Doctors as I do, I had one done at Kieser
without any anasthetic,it was fuc+ing misarable,I vowed then never to have it done again,this was 22 years ago.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 11/06/10 at 10:15:32

A few years ago my doctor was giving me hell because I was over 50 and hadnt had a colonostomy done. I told her I had rather have my a$$ chewed out than reamed out. She lost it and told me she was 52yo and hadnt had one done yet.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 11/06/10 at 11:48:14

My daughters have had it done I think it cost $6000 to $7000 today,I can get it done for nothing at the VA but I 'am not, I know of case were the thing broke threw the side of a mans intestine and he had a  colostomy for six months while it healed up in side.My older brother did have it done at the VA,He said it was nothing to it,He wasn't put out just dazed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/06/10 at 12:23:00

bill67 wrote on 11/06/10 at 11:48:14:
My daughters have had it done I think it cost $6000 to $7000 today,

For $7000 I want a Ducati Monster,... not someone blowin' air up my butt... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 11/06/10 at 14:07:39

I've had two of 'em.  Out for the first one, so I asked for "anxiety control" level of the Valium for the second so I could watch the TV screen.  (Also 'cause I didn't like losing the next day to anterograde amnesia.)

Y'know, the lining of the colon looks a lot like the lining of the cheek.  I guess mucosa is mucosa.

The whole idea of routine colonoscopies is to find and remove itty-bitty baby intestinal polyps before they grow up and become cancers.  Not a bad trade-off in my book.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/06/10 at 16:02:54

drharveys - FSO wrote on 11/06/10 at 14:07:39:
I've had two of 'em.  Out for the first one, so I asked for "anxiety control" level of the Valium for the second so I could watch the TV screen.  (Also 'cause I didn't like losing the next day to anterograde amnesia.)

Y'know, the lining of the colon looks a lot like the lining of the cheek.  I guess mucosa is mucosa.

The whole idea of routine colonoscopies is to find and remove itty-bitty baby intestinal polyps before they grow up and become cancers.  Not a bad trade-off in my book.

And I'm sure Doc that there is some proffesional curtisy involved here.
Like a decent price,and extra special care taken.
Funny thing just before I retired and still had a few bucks I thought I would take care of my teeth long story short I had to pay up front the bill was $3,200 I paid in cash ,he gave me $200 back because I paid in cash,but he did say" Proffesional curtisy" even though I'm not in the business.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:32:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › colonoscopy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.