Send Topic Print
Doctor's Order.... (Read 217 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Doctor's Order....
Reply #15 - 11/04/10 at 12:16:04

Also there's a huge difference between tolerance and addiction.  Tolerance is natural and inevitable.  If you use a narcotic for a length of time at the same dose, most of its effects will lessen.  i.e. you will need a larger dose to achieve the same analgesic effect.  

Addiction is something different - more psychological craving.  Agreed - hopefully the doc took your addiction history into account - but i don't think it's an absolute contraindication!  Opiates (narcotics) have a lot going for them for treating chronic pain!  

As far as saying fentanyl is "more potent than other narcotics" ... so what!  You're taking an itty-bitty dose!  That's 75 MICROgrams per hr.  if you were taking morphine (lets say 100 MILLIgrams every 12 hours) ...  over 200 times the dose!...

it takes 1000 micrograms to make one milligram ... one milligram is still itty bitty - it takes 1000 of those to make one gram which is still pretty small!

Mick,  I hope your doc and you can find a treatment that makes your pain tolerable without too much side effect.  I totally get that you hate taking drugs chronically- I feel the same way!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #16 - 11/04/10 at 13:59:01

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/04/10 at 11:48:00:
Mick and Arnold -

Quit being so cynical, especially Arnold, who apparently doesn't think docs give a hoot.

Well, I'm no doc, but in my business, I have learned enough medicine to know better.

Mick - Now you know exactly how addictive the stuff is - why did you get an Rx for it - to relieve your pain, that's why.  Frankly, once a patient is beyond age 70, the rules of common medical sense change a bit.  Getting an OF like you or me hooked might just be the price we have to pay to get relief.

I feel better now I think I should up the dose,good idea Jerry ,next time I see my Doctor (who's  name I cant pronounce) I shall ask him ,
just got to make sure my wonderful ,but meddling Sister does not come with me,her excuse to come with me is "Oh my brother is a little hard of hearing " but next month I am going for a complete check up,
cant you just hear those rubber gloves go snap! she will not be with me. because I know all of you will be ,in spiret anyway.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/04/10 at 14:05:09

runwyrlph wrote on 11/04/10 at 12:16:04:
Also there's a huge difference between tolerance and addiction.  Tolerance is natural and inevitable.  If you use a narcotic for a length of time at the same dose, most of its effects will lessen.  i.e. you will need a larger dose to achieve the same analgesic effect.  

Addiction is something different - more psychological craving.  Agreed - hopefully the doc took your addiction history into account - but i don't think it's an absolute contraindication!  Opiates (narcotics) have a lot going for them for treating chronic pain!  

As far as saying fentanyl is "more potent than other narcotics" ... so what!  You're taking an itty-bitty dose!  That's 75 MICROgrams per hr.  if you were taking morphine (lets say 100 MILLIgrams every 12 hours) ...  over 200 times the dose!...

it takes 1000 micrograms to make one milligram ... one milligram is still itty bitty - it takes 1000 of those to make one gram which is still pretty small!

Mick,  I hope your doc and you can find a treatment that makes your pain tolerable without too much side effect.  I totally get that you hate taking drugs chronically- I feel the same way!

you sound like you know alot about this and other drugs,are you in the medical business ?
I just looked at the package it says 25 mcg/hr   and the correct spelling is Fentanyl, I am a lousy speller at the best of times ,let alone
something I have never heard of.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #18 - 11/04/10 at 14:51:15

yeah - community pharmacist.  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/05/10 at 23:11:13

Good news,my niece is going to become a nurse practitioner,she will be able to write prescriptions..
I would never even try to take advantage ,just  kidding. But we are all very proud of her,just got the news today,she is one semester away from her masters, the Doctor she works with has been pushing her to do this,he has also persuaded the Hospital to pay the $30,000 for her one more year of collage she also get paid but she will be doing some work,and I think she will sign an agreemwnt to work at the hospital for a  ?? amount of time. It seems that poor kid all she does study and work, that no good husband of hers I could cheerfully strangle,she make 4 times what he makes ,suppoedly a building contractor,all I see him do is keep the couch warm. She should get her practitioners licence and leave the barsteward.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:27:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Doctor's Order....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.