Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calling Mick - Matchless info (Read 62 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calling Mick - Matchless info
11/03/10 at 11:49:00

My diesel tech instructor mentioned he had a '61 matchless he was looking to unload. Not assembled but with two engines, two trannys, and with all else thats necessary plus some other extras (2 sets of wheels, one set trued, one not, extra headlight, forks etc) Basically 2 bikes with one frame. I dont know much about matchlesses other than they make me drool. He said it was a single but in my brief search on google Im finding no '61 singles. Just a twin. The g12 I believe. Got any info for me on their '61 single cylinder offerings, design shortcomings (im already aware of the lucas electrical issues), etc?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Calling Mick - Matchless info
Reply #1 - 11/03/10 at 12:15:39

Mick will be the experienced expert,... but here's a link for you to peruse...
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/matchless_1961/index.htm

'61 Matchless Typhoon

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/03/10 at 12:39:46

I owned a 1965 Matchless 500 single back in the day
It was a model 500GS and was very little changed from it on back to the same model issued back into the 50s.
It was 4 speed with a high torque engine. The bore and stroke were the same square.  It had an Amal carb with a separate float bowl.
It was capable of very nearly 100 MPH on a flat road with no wind.
It handled curves magnificently but was a little under braked by modern standards.
To start and ride it you needed to understand the carb tickler, the choke ,the manual spark advance, and the manual compression release.
It was not necessary to understand pain, any missunderstanding of the above would result in the kick starter instructing you about pain.
By all standards a Magnificent ride once you got on first name basis with it.  It had hairpin valve springs and the valves were easy to adjust.
Clutch was semi dry and easy to service.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/03/10 at 13:09:27

BurnPgh wrote on 11/03/10 at 11:49:00:
My diesel tech instructor mentioned he had a '61 matchless he was looking to unload. Not assembled but with two engines, two trannys, and with all else thats necessary plus some other extras (2 sets of wheels, one set trued, one not, extra headlight, forks etc) Basically 2 bikes with one frame. I dont know much about matchlesses other than they make me drool. He said it was a single but in my brief search on google Im finding no '61 singles. Just a twin. The g12 I believe. Got any info for me on their '61 single cylinder offerings, design shortcomings (im already aware of the lucas electrical issues), etc?

Phelonius know's about What I know,I do know that AJS did buy out matchless ,both makes are identical except for the badge,I never owned one but I did work on a few,I did own a 500 single AJS ,it was a trials bike, great old plonker ,it could idle through mud 6" deep, trial's are not fast riding,they are slow the art was in not putting your foot down.
In alot of ways they are like the savage ,very reliable, easy to work on ,and lets face it very easy on the eye.If you get the chance buy it,sounds more like two bikes.good luck, good find.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:49:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Calling Mick - Matchless info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.