mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Cycle World
Reply #15 - 11/01/10 at 12:43:43

Arnold wrote on 11/01/10 at 12:19:59:
Yes, it is very nice but honestly, is anyone spending 3k to mod a bike you can get for half that?

Arnold I would think thats the beauty of this idea,he starts with a very inexpensive bike and for 3K you make it look like a million,and if you do a real nice job,I bet you would get your mony back.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #16 - 11/01/10 at 12:53:22

But it's too late Smiley I went with blue collar. Before I had my mind made up I looked at his site as I would have loved a cafe racer.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #17 - 11/03/10 at 17:26:45

I saw the Cycle World article last night. I thought; "Cool looking bike. Hey! That looks like a Savage engine!" Then I read the page. I hope Ryca's successful because someday I'll be able to get a second bike (I hope) & that's the one I want.  

« Last Edit: 11/04/10 at 22:16:35 by babbalou »  

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 11/03/10 at 17:33:10

You wouldn't have to worry about wearing out the seat padding,because there isn't any.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/03/10 at 23:48:31

bill67 wrote on 11/03/10 at 17:33:10:
You wouldn't have to worry about wearing out the seat padding,because there isn't any.

Bill, if it is really like a cafe racer the feet are more centered as apposed to forward controls that put your entire weight on your butt,making you think the saddle is not compfy, with the cafe style some of your weight is shared by your arms and legs, So the seat my look less comportatable ,it isn't. That is why they use that style on racing bikes, compfort.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #20 - 11/04/10 at 20:33:01

I may be out of my mind (OOMFM), but I put down a $100 deposit to get my position on the Ryca kit production line. I intend to transform my Sportster wannabe into what I see as a cool cafe racer (http://www.rycamotors.com). But it's not based on a Triumph or BSA or Norton, so maybe it's not as cool as I imagine. Nonetheless it will be 320 lbs with whatever horsepower/torque a modified Savage can muster and with more sporting frame geometry. Plus, as mick points out, I'll be able to get some weight off my behind and onto the footpegs and handlebars, as God intended. I'm looking forward to the project and the completed bike.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #21 - 11/04/10 at 21:18:50

BuckRYCA wrote on 11/04/10 at 20:33:01:
I may be out of my mind (OOMFM), but I put down a $100 deposit to get my position on the Ryca kit production line. I intend to transform my Sportster wannabe into what I see as a cool cafe racer (http://www.rycamotors.com). But it's not based on a Triumph or BSA or Norton, so maybe it's not as cool as I imagine. Nonetheless it will be 320 lbs with whatever horsepower/torque a modified Savage can muster and with more sporting frame geometry. Plus, as mick points out, I'll be able to get some weight off my behind and onto the footpegs and handlebars, as God intended. I'm looking forward to the project and the completed bike.

I just had another look see ,tell me are those tires part of the kit ? if so Personally I would use regular tires,just me.
How do they shorten the wheel base? (If they do). So you have a down payment on the kit, good for you,now you know we will all want pictures of your progress, good luck mate.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #22 - 11/05/10 at 06:10:00

Mick, with the full kit you send in your gas tank, rear wheel hub, and sidestand bracket. As part of the kit you get a 19" (same size as the front) rear wheel mounted wth a standard tire (not the Firestone relic shown on the photo model bike. The Firestones look good, but I would not ride on them).

Per their Web site the frame geometry is changed by the following method:

Bring up the rear of the bike by installing your new shocks and wheel, then lower the front end to get the bike in the proper cafe racer stance. You can easily shorten the front forks without removing any seals, while keeping the stock springs (the springs are not cut):

Lowering the front:
After removing the front forks, drain the fork oil and remove the damper rod from the fork tube. There is a special tool available from Suzuki to remove the damper rod, but you can also make your own tool.
Add the supplied spacer below the damper rod.
Shorten the upper fork spacer just enough to get the fork cap back on. The less you cut, the stiffer the front suspension will be.
Re-install the forks and add fork oil (ATF will work also).

Now the bike has been tilted forward and the rake angle has been reduced, resulting in better handling and quicker steering.

The Full Kit consists of the following two sets of parts:
Custom parts made at Ryca ($1795 for the custom parts)

Low Profile Fuel Tank
Tank Indicator Panel
Tank Mount
Seat Assembly (with tail light and license plate mount)
Side Panels
Rearset Bracket Assembly
Battery Box
Belt Guard
Speedometer / Tachometer Mounting Brackets
Side Stand Relocation Mount
Decompression Lever Linkage

Aftermarket parts ($1200 for the aftermarket parts)

Rear wheel assembly and tire, laced and balanced
Rearsets and hardware
Shocks
Clip-ons
Reverse cone muffler
Tachometer
Speedometer (with longer cable)
Grips
Cone filter

All modifications can be done with the usual hand tools and a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. The frame cuts are minor and will not affect integrity.

This project is all that I'm willing to take on now with my modest wrenching and zero building skills. I'll document the transformation and keep you informed.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/05/10 at 13:29:25

Very nice bike and all that, but where is the LS650 flat tracker?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:13:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cycle World

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.