Send Topic Print
deer+bike= total (Read 491 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: deer+bike= total
Reply #15 - 10/27/10 at 20:21:45

I know this started out as a deer wreck, but something must be said. I have Type II Bipolar Disorder (Manic is less than Depressive), I am a certified support group facilitator. There are several on this site, including me, who are at higher risk for suicide than the general population. My Bipolar is hightened by chronic back pain gained the old fashion way. I worked for it. Many won't believe this, but men over sixty years of age are in the high risk group. Add alcohol abuse, drug use (Prescription, many times), divorce, loss of a spouse, withdrawal from society, and loss of income and it quickly becomes a problem. If you are having a problem, keep going till you can find help. Mental disorders take around 6-8 years to accurately diagnose and treat with the proper method. Look up NAMI or NIMH on Google. Please do not discourage those on here by telling stories of those who couldn't or didn't get help. There is hope. It's just an illness. Find your cure. I think what Palidin said is true for most of us. We have a little 650 cure, or at least some good therapy. And to clarify, I don't think Palidin is mentally ill. I just read what he was saying through the eyes of someone who is mentally ill. Thanks for reading.   Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 10/27/10 at 20:56:43

bill67 wrote on 10/27/10 at 15:50:20:
Paladin. wrote on 10/27/10 at 13:41:44:
...My heart is partially dead.  My brain is partially dead.
But I can still Ride and enjoy life.  THAT is what counts.

Well at lease after you heartattack you had no change in your brain.

Actually it has been.  Three weeks after my bypass I had a stroke.  I now have aphasia and apraxia.  I yesterday I went over to see my supervisor.  He told me my usage is not needed.  Took my ID and keys and said to go back home.  I lost language.  Six months ago I was relearning 'tree', 'orange'....  Not good for a communications technician.

Bottom line -- You get broke, you get fixed.  If not fixed, you compensate.  Life might be fair, but it is not only game available.  This is why people aged 45-64 have more deaths from suicide than motor vehicle accidents.  This is why having an accident is not a reason to stop driving or riding.

Reasons for stop riding?  Physically cannot.  No longer enjoy.  (In California 39% of riders stopped riding after the helmet law.)

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #17 - 10/27/10 at 21:11:25

I am relieved to read your post and hear your on the mend. Take some time and recover.
Then do what I am planning on doing. Get back in the saddle.
My accident took my freedom away and I am going to gain it back.
Oh yeah I have friends as well as my Mom that think I am crazy for wanting to get back on the bike.
Well ok so I am crazy. At least if I go out of this world while having been riding my bike,  I will have been doing what I enjoy and not standing along the side lines wondering what if..
Hugs and get well soon.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #18 - 10/27/10 at 21:13:22

i would have punched every deer in the face. lol but its a good thing that your doing better. just remeber that almost everyone goes down atleast once.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 10/27/10 at 21:16:28

Paladin is a fighter. Been down, just not about to consider not getting up. I was gonna suggest taking up hunting, too.

Ive hit 3 cars w/ bicycles & totaled 3 motorcycles. Last one was about 3 years ago. Im 55. Ive never even considered giving up on riding. Should you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/28/10 at 14:00:20

I live in Southern Ohio, in the height of deer country, and believe me, it's on my mind every time I get on the road. I have had a million near misses in my car, and only one hit with my Buick. I've had to stop 3 or 4 times for deer so far on the bike, but have had plenty of time to do it in. One thing I can tell you for sure, is to wait after the first deer to crosses the road (if you get that luxury), because 9 times out of 10, they have a buddy in tow with them. Right now is the absolute worse time for them, because they're in rut and stupid. I can't imagine what it would be like to smack one on a bike, and I don't ever want to know. I wish you a speedy recovery!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/28/10 at 14:17:42

It smarts real bad.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #22 - 10/28/10 at 23:30:12

I think it's a good idea to get back on ASAP, they say to do that with a horse, I think a M/C accident is about the same.And definatly do at least one season of deer hunting just to get some revenge.
get well mate.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 10/29/10 at 03:30:48

If youre not into pulling the trigger, you could post a pic up & offer a reward.

Bambi

Wanted, dead or alive, reward $100.00 alive, $200.00 DEAD!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/29/10 at 18:53:22

Back in 1984 I was 24, had a Yamaha 400 twin and not as much common sense.  I rode the bike 2 years then put it into the side of a Chevy Bronco II that was dead stopped in the road and turned left into a driveway as I started to go around it.  

The entire accident happened at less that 20 mph and about 2 miles from my house.  I broke my right leg completely (both bones) about midway between ankle and knee.  It went instantly into shock, never hurt a bit.

To make a long story short, surgery, pins  for 3 weeks, cast for five months, limped for a year.  I didn't get another bike until I got 150 cc scooter at around 48.  I drove  the scooter 3 years then got a 2009 Suzuki S40.  

I am way more cautious now than I was at 24 (uh-duh) and mostly don't ride at might but I do ride.  I have had several friends and family members pass on.  I will take my chances there are worse fates than dying on your bike.  

I live in Florida and this year a guy drove his bike at night into a black bear.  There are worse things to hit than a deer...LOL.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope you ride  again.  Safe biking is a skill, but in this life nothing is better than being Lucky.

Take care and best wishes,

Hal

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #25 - 10/29/10 at 19:50:34

Bummer about the accident but good hear you survived. Heal up up quick ly and completely. Give yourself time to decide if you still want to ride.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 10/30/10 at 20:00:50

My neighbor just arrowed a 5 pointer this week, I suggested that he go out and  get a few more in revenge for motorcyclist hit this year.  Hope you mend quickly and well. Smiley

IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #27 - 11/07/10 at 08:06:28

I hate to hear about this happening and hope you make a full, quick recovery. You probably still have many usable parts to sell to recoup some of your money. Are you located in Blount County, TN?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/07/10 at 10:07:32

Bike + Deer = Total

But, Bike + Bear = Fun for all, at the circus.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #29 - 11/07/10 at 10:22:23

Maybe put on a Voyager kit and make it a 3 wheeler. It won't stop u from hitting a deer, but it might keep u off the blacktop.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › deer+bike= total

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.