Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying a Savage for the Wife (Read 382 times)
dmsween
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo NY 14212
Buying a Savage for the Wife
10/08/10 at 11:19:53

Hi Guys.

The wife took the MSF class a few weeks ago so now were looking for a bike for her.  She rode a little 125 in class which was like 310 lbs.  I have an M50 Boulevard & SV1000s and she trield the Boulevard and could ride it but she was not totally comfortable so I said I'd get her a bike that is less heavy.  So I'm going to get a her a savage.

I have found 3 bikes within about an hour.  2 here in Buffalo

2002 Savage $2200 3800 miles, windshield, saddlebags & backrest

1998 Savage $1000  12,000 miles, windshield & backrest (no bags)
  This has test ridden this one and it rides good.  Has new rubber front & back as well as new battery (last 2 years anyway)  It also has a ripped seat.

I also found one in Rochester

2001 Savage $1500 12,000 miles, windshield, saddlebags & backrest

My understanding is that the bike is pretty much similar for all years.  I know they changed from a 4 speed to a 5 speed sometime in the mid 90's and there is now the S40 but they're all pretty close.

Is there anything to watch out for on these bikes or particular year.  I've read things about backfiring but that isn't that big of an issue.  I like the idea of less maintenance since I already have to keep up on 2 bikes.

Anybody selling saddlebags, saddlebag supports or a seat?

Thanks, Dan

'98 Savage for the wife
'03 SV1000s
'07 Boulevard M50
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Buying a Savage for the Wife
Reply #1 - 10/08/10 at 11:30:45

These will be all 5 speed and I wouldn't have any issue with any of them.

Only issue is the cam chain.  Listen on the right side to the top rear of the oil filter.  Any clanking or tapping and it may be due for maitainance.  And it's good for $500 off the selling price.  That would be the stealership repair cost.

And at some point you'll want to  put new rubber hoses on the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
dmsween
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo NY 14212
Reply #2 - 10/08/10 at 13:50:23

Thanks for pointing out the cam chain issue.  We've started both the bikes that are local and both sound great and idled very nicely with no noises.

'98 Savage for the wife
'03 SV1000s
'07 Boulevard M50
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/08/10 at 14:51:42

If it was me I'd get the '02 with low miles & accessories. I'd offer the owner $1600 & bargain up from there. Several times I've negotiated deals for much less than the asking price. Never hurts to try. And at 3800 miles, you'll have some time before you have to worry about the cam chain. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 10/08/10 at 17:12:57

I like the $2200 one, but I really like the $1000 one. Both are within prices paid here in the south. However, I know how to work on my bike, and I know what to look for and listen to before buying. Also, is she going to ride it or is it going to be a "carport queen"? I don't want to insult you, but after 33 years of marriage I've learned that my enthusiasm does not always transfer to my wife. I think it's great that she took the course. And a deal comes up every day. Don't rush it. If you miss a deal today, there'll be another next week. Ride safe and congrats to your wife.  Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 10/08/10 at 17:43:22

Great choice in bikes for your Wife.. I myself would have her at least sit and possibly ride one if available to do so.
See how she responds and if it and if it brings what I believe will be the biggest smile you have seen on her face in years, then you know she is going to ride it and not allow it to be a garage queen.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/08/10 at 18:30:47

Try to get her a ride on one. The Savage is a love it or hate it machine, not much middle ground.

Mine is a 98 that I bought brand new and started modifying shortly there after. It's on its 4th or 5th incarnation, currently as an east coast highbar barhopper. That I ride, so it has saddlebags.  

Any of those would be fine for her. Buy cheap, modify it to suit and ride the wheels off of it. Mine sat up for a couple years, they don't make good garage/yard art... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
dmsween
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo NY 14212
Reply #7 - 10/09/10 at 09:35:14

She has ridden the '98 bike which is $1000.  She just road it around the parking lot but she said she felt comfortable on it.  She is talking about riding it to work during the summer, only a 3 or 4 mile ride which sounds promising.  I know there are going to be times when she's just not going to want to ride it and I'm fine with that.  Heck I feel that way sometimes too and don't take my bike out.

What kind of mileage do I have to start worrying about the cam chain tensioner?

'98 Savage for the wife
'03 SV1000s
'07 Boulevard M50
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/09/10 at 10:06:50

dmsween wrote on 10/09/10 at 09:35:14:

I'd worry about it the second she sat upon it.  Wimim tend to not notice silly things that will raise the hair on the back on men's necks.  You know like loud clanking and smoke billowing out the back or a trail of oil everywhere she goes.

But seriously, anywhere after 8k miles.  Depends on the PO, did he maintain it well.  This will show up in the cam chain quickly.  I'd do the cam chain adjuster check which ever one you choose and know for sure.  Take a measurement of the plunger and make a guestimate of when you'll need to look at again.  The plunger might start 9mm out when new and needs attention at 18mm out typically at 20k miles.  Really rough numbers BTW.  20k/10mm gives you about 2k miles per mm roughly.

WWW   IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #9 - 10/09/10 at 12:09:53

Maby you will get lucky like I did. Wife bought an 05 S40 with 7500 miles in June. Decided she didn't really want to ride. Man I like the thumper. Ride it more than either one of my bikes. Talk her into the one you like best-just in case Wink---Luke

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/09/10 at 12:30:29

dmsween wrote on 10/09/10 at 09:35:14:
She has ridden the '98 bike which is $1000.  She just road it around the parking lot but she said she felt comfortable on it.  She is talking about riding it to work during the summer, only a 3 or 4 mile ride which sounds promising.  I know there are going to be times when she's just not going to want to ride it and I'm fine with that.  Heck I feel that way sometimes too and don't take my bike out.

Use a good synthetic motorcycle oil on the one with the least miles and you can go at lease 20,000 miles without doing anything.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/09/10 at 12:35:41

Wink   hee hee

.... gotta tell them exactly which magic oil to use, Bill.

Regular real world synthetic oils don't prelude you from having some valve seat wear and having to do some regular maintenance tasks like valve adjustments and carb tuning.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/09/10 at 12:46:04

Carbs don't go out of tune,You need to keep the carb clean and lubed,thats what Sea Foam does.And use only the motorcycle synthetic oils,They cost more thats why a lot of people on here don't use it.And then they have troubles and wonder why.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dmsween
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo NY 14212
Reply #13 - 10/09/10 at 12:47:27

Well here's a quick pic of the bike.  Its the '98 with 12k on it.  She was asking $1000 and I got it for $900.

Now I need to clean it up a little bit.

I'm gonna need a new seat or cover, saddlebag supports and bags.

'98 Savage for the wife
'03 SV1000s
'07 Boulevard M50
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/09/10 at 13:14:24

Well, I think you got a good deal.
Welcome to the Club now that you're an official owner.
The seat I'd either buy a replacement cover or take it to a local guy to replace.  the advantage of a local guy is you can redo the padding anyway you like.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:21:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying a Savage for the Wife

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.