Send Topic Print
deer+bike= total (Read 491 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

deer+bike= total
10/27/10 at 07:21:46

:'( One week ago today I was comming home from work 10:20pm turned on to my road one mile to home . I am going about 40-45. From my left 3 deer noise to tail fly in front of me i hit the brakes. This is what I remember one deer I hit broadside came up to headslight now I am on my back in the road in a lot of pain, I might have been there 5sec. or 5min. , rolled over and crawled over to the side of the road car came by and asked if i needed help they called 911. 5 hours latter i was in ICU dislocated right thumb ribs 2 -3 broke in left front ribs 4-5 broken in left back badly sprained left foot and damage my spleen over the next 3 days they almost took it out. Bike was totaled. NOW ALL THE GEAR I WEAR WHEN I RIDE WAS DAMAGED HELMET, JACKET,PANTS, GLOVES BOOTS, BUT I WALKED AWAY. I HAVE NO ROAD RASH. WHEN ASKED IF I WAS GOING TO GET ANOTHER BIKE I DONT KNOW I AM SPOOKED ABOUT ONE RIGHT NOW. MANY WHO LOOKED AT THE PLACE THIS HAPPEN TELL ME HOW LUCKY I AM NO I TELL THEM GOD AND MY GEAR SAVED ME. RUBBER SIDE DOWN

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: deer+bike= total
Reply #1 - 10/27/10 at 07:31:14

Absolute bummer. I know deer are beautiful animals, but when they get on the road they become pests. I suppose better a deer than a moose, or an angus bull DAMHIK.

Here's hoping and praying that you get well soon.

I'm guessing that if you enjoyed riding before, you will enjoy riding once you settle down and recover. I'm saying "guessing" because I've never been taken out by a deer. Close a couple of times.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 10/27/10 at 07:59:11

hate that happened to you - i just started riding this summer - and recently have become very aware of the critters that move around on or near the road...hope you get better soon and get back on a bike eventually. I really like riding but cant say if i would get back on right away if i had this ahppen to me

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 10/27/10 at 08:19:19

Very sorry to hear about your accident.  Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.  You will know in your own time if you will ever ride again.  My guess is that I would ride behind hubby, but doubt I'd ever ride on my own again....  but one never knows until its actually presented to them.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 10/27/10 at 08:30:34

Glad you were able to walk away from that and pray for a quick and total recovery! Fall is bad time for deer. Changes in temps and length of days have them moving earlier in the day. Something we all have to be more watchful of. Your post will serve as an extra warning to the rest of us. Take care and heal quickly!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #5 - 10/27/10 at 08:53:49

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I don't mean to sound pert, but I would like to make an observation.  I have known many people who have been in car accidents, quite a few of them where people have died, and I have never heard a single person say that they would never ride in a car or drive again.  If riding gives you pleasure and fills a need, as it does for so many on this site, then you should plan on riding again.  

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/27/10 at 09:22:25

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Be glad you had on the protective gear that you did. Could have been a lot worse. I hope you make a quick and full recovery. I've crashed before ( many years ago ) but I hope this doesn't keep you from riding again. If you enjoyed it once, you will enjoy it again. Maybe just a little more cautiously.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/27/10 at 09:54:09

Deja Vue,  Been there done that woke up three and a half days later in I.C.U, eight ribs with multiple breaks, punctured lung, broken clavicle and shoulder, stitches, some skin loss.  Did not suffer loss of face, good helmet I guess.
I have moved to a place with no deer.
Heal up, it takes time and attitude.
Encourage your friends to eat more deer.
If you are driving a truck and a deer walks out, hit the SOB, it helps train the others to stay off the road and helps with population control.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/27/10 at 10:12:18

So sorry to hear of your accident. I also had an accident 3 weeks ago where I too hit a "deer" but of a different sort (my husband!). I understand about you being spooked about bikes now. I'm also a little spooked but am determined to get back on the bike. I rode on the back of my husband's for 17 years and always wanted to ride myself but was too afraid to learn. When my sister was diagnosed with cancer (never drank or smoked) that was when I decided I wasn't going to let fear dictate my life.When my time comes I don't want any regrets that I didn't learn/do things because of fear. There are people telling me I'm crazy because I plan on riding again but I just ask them if I had my accident slipping in the shower,do you want me to stop taking showers? Grin No need to make any decisions right now,just take your time and get to feeling better. Smiley

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #9 - 10/27/10 at 10:51:35

All the gear you had on worked. glad you came through as well as you did. Helmet, jacket, gloves etc. all easly replaced, body parts no. i think the term used by the MSF folks these days is "risk management"(that's as far as my wife got in the MSF course this past summer). I wish you a speedy and complete  recovery. You will decide when you are ready to ride again. Heal quickly and keep us posted---Luke

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #10 - 10/27/10 at 11:49:35

I am 59 and do I feel it.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 10/27/10 at 13:15:15

Did you at least get the venison?...lol
Brush yourself off and get back on the horse. Would you quit if you had gotten smacked by a car? Wrecked it in loose gravel? Cant live in fear or your not liveing at all.

Thats the bad thing about rideing a smaller bike though. When meeting fuzzies on the road your both about even. A v2k would of cut em in half and barely scratched the paint.

Baby steps. Heal up, get back on and ride a lil at a time untill your comfortable again. Baby steps. Other wise your always going to wonder. And yeah age dont help them bumps n bruises. Sad

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 10/27/10 at 13:41:44

In three weeks I turn 64 years of age.

Over the past year I got to watch father-in-law to die after years in pain in nursing houses.  My mother-in-law died in pain in nursing houses.  My Godmother died in a nursing house.

I will keep riding.  It is FAR better to die on a motorcycle.  I do NOT want to in pain, drugged, suffering as they see how long they can keep me alive.

What are the ODDS?  http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/tables/10s0116.pdf

For 2006 for 55-64 years aged, death of cause:

Malignant neoplasms (Cancer) 36%
Major cardiovascular diseases  29%
Motor vehicle accidents . . . .   1.606%
The Kicker:  Suicide . . . . . .    1.629%

Worried about riding?  MORE likely to do suicide.

My heart is partially dead.  My brain is partially dead.
But I can still Ride and enjoy life.  THAT is what counts.

You MIGHT consider deer hunting.  

WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #13 - 10/27/10 at 15:23:55

Sorry to hear and right now it's normal to feel gun shy. If you truly have motorcycling in your blood it won't go away. Get well before making any commitments.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/27/10 at 15:50:20

Paladin. wrote on 10/27/10 at 13:41:44:
In three weeks I turn 64 years of age.

Over the past year I got to watch father-in-law to die after years in pain in nursing houses.  My mother-in-law died in pain in nursing houses.  My Godmother died in a nursing house.

I will keep riding.  It is FAR better to die on a motorcycle.  I do NOT want to in pain, drugged, suffering as they see how long they can keep me alive.

What are the ODDS?  http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/tables/10s0116.pdf

For 2006 for 55-64 years aged, death of cause:

Malignant neoplasms (Cancer) 36%
Major cardiovascular diseases  29%
Motor vehicle accidents . . . .   1.606%
The Kicker:  Suicide . . . . . .    1.629%

Worried about riding?  MORE likely to do suicide.

My heart is partially dead.  My brain is partially dead.
But I can still Ride and enjoy life.  THAT is what counts.

You MIGHT consider deer hunting.  

Well at lease after you heartattack you had no change in your brain.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › deer+bike= total

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.