Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spotrster Tank mounting (Read 157 times)
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Spotrster Tank mounting
10/23/10 at 09:19:47

Question for those of you that have mounted a Sportster tank on your Savage.  How did you secure/mount the rear of the tank?  I have the front figured out but the rear mount on the tank I have comes all the way past the split on the backbone just over the carb.

Thanks

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Spotrster Tank mounting
Reply #1 - 10/23/10 at 11:21:58

I used a five gallon from a Nighttrain (I think) and all I did was use a longer bolt using the same hole on the frame that the stack tank used. You might have to bend it slightly backwards as I did to get it to go through the rear tank mount hole. I put a nut/washer/nylon washer at the height I wanted, then the rear tank tab and then another nylon washer/washer/nut on top to hold everything snug. I have a V-Star saddle seat on my bike and I made a notched flange for the front where the notch goes around the tank bolt to hold the seat straight.

Jack

IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #2 - 10/23/10 at 11:58:35

Thanks Jack.  I have the small 2.4 gal tank with tabs that should go around the backbone and mount through.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/23/10 at 20:00:17

I cut the rear mount off of the stock tank and welded it to the Sporty tank.So it uses the stock mounting location.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 10/23/10 at 21:29:49

My five gallon tank sits higher in the front even though that part of the tank is right down to the frame. The channel down the middle of the underside of the tank is just wide enough until the frame starts to spread towards the back. As such it sits right on the frame, but the rear of the tank is about three inches higher than where the stock tank sat, touching the frame. That being the case the nose of my seat (V-Star saddle) rests on top of the very rear of the tank with a notched flange that goes around the rear tank bolt to keep the front of the seat from slipping to the sides. Not too pretty, but rather more burly looking.

Jack

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 10/25/10 at 13:41:41

Scott,
That's smaller than what you started with.  Get a "King" tank at least.  They're 3.1 or 3.4 gals.  Youl would need a 1994-2003 to get the petcock on the left.

OR......  look into a Porkster tank........ 4.2 gals Cheesy .......  and same mounting holes holes as that 2.4 gal tank.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:19:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spotrster Tank mounting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.