in it.

L.A. California
New Headlight
10/17/10 at 20:09:24

2 part project...

Put a HID conversion kit on.
Hi beam in a 60 watt halogen light
Lo beam is HID, boy is it bright.
Lo is brighter than high beam, coverage is just less.
Makes a bright spot as wide as a lane.
right now I think I have it aimed down a bit,
got to look into what the correct aim should be.

Let's see how long it lasts.

Part 2, new headlight bucket
I've been working on getting an '83 GR650 front end installed for awhile.  And with the new bulb to install, I decided now would be a good time to try out the bucket.  BTW the bucket is metal   Cool
The gr bucket is a side mount and the mounts for it slide onto the forks from the top.  The gr is about the same width as the savage, but the headlight came from a gs, so it's a little narrower.  No problem, I have a bracket stretching tool (prybar) aside from straightening it abit from prior abuse, it fits   Huh  A little loose from top to bottom, but it ain't goin nowhere.  Oh and the gs/gr forks are a little smaller in diameter so I took the rubber grommets off and replaced them with rubber from an inner tube.  just wrapped each eyelet and forced it on over the fork.

Well that's what I do on a rainy Sunday.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: New Headlight
Reply #1 - 10/18/10 at 00:45:36

where have you been getting your parts? ebay? local scrap yard?

i looked into a dual headlight for a short while until it seemed impossible to do it for under $200. it would be nice to be able to put a better looking/functioning headlight on though. what made you decide to do it?

are you changing the triple tree with the gr650 front end? how hard is something like that to do? how do you know what triple clamps will fit, or can you just change forks/fork tubes?

amongst my other headlight mod dreams that won't come to fruition for years is swapping out the front end for something with dual brake rotors and cast wheels.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/18/10 at 07:52:48

The gs series is almost a direct swap, from 450 up to 1100.
The fork tubes are a smaller diameter, calipers are matched for each fork and bars are 7/8.  Fortunately, the stem lengths have all been the same and directly compatible with the savage.
And I found the gr has geometry closer to the savage.
The advantage of the gr is it uses the same handlebar mounts so whatever you used for the savage will transfer over.  Do ge the dampers from the gr though, the bottom one has a cutout for the fork.
The one thing that's holding up the project is fab'ing a steering stop adapter to keep the forks from whacking the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 10/18/10 at 08:37:01

I know this is not the Market Place, but I have two HID lights that came on a 2000 Grand Prix I just bought. I believe this post will get a lot of hits, because most are interested in upgrading lights. I know NOTHING about HID stuff. These are the blue looking lights with separate ballasts. CEN TECH brand. They only worked on Dim in my car, so I assume they are single filament. They are supposed to fit 9004/9007 holder, I believe. I will sell both to one address for $35 or split them up to two addresses for $20 each. I cannot guarantee them, but they worked a month ago. I didn't touch the bulbs with my bare hands per halogen light instructions. I can ship them in the US Postal box, one size ships anywhere and you can mail me a money order. They will be well wrapped and should ship OK. PM me with your phone number.  Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/18/10 at 10:34:20

With these lights you don't really need high beam (aux lights or anything else  Cool )
But some of you live in places with yearly inspections which require it.
There are hi/lo HID and halogen hi/HID lo (the latter is what I got)
And lo beam only.

Of concern is the up to 10 amp inrush current on startup.
So I've decided to park it with hi beam on so when I start it up it won't be sucked dry.  Might even put a lo watt halogen bulb in.

WWW   IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #5 - 10/18/10 at 14:17:21

A HID headlight was one of the first things I did to my bike, the girlfriends bike will have one before next summer. MUCH brighter than stock!! I went with one from DDM Tunning and have no complaints. Its a 35 watt bulb/balast with hi/lo. The Hi/lo is done by sliding the bulb forward and back. There is a metal piece that surounds the bulb and when you hit the hi beam the bulb slides back to an opening in the metal surround that lets light pass through to the rest of the headlight. Hard to describe with out actually seeing how it works, but it does function pretty good and the hi/lo works well considering its only a single 35 watt bulb. They list the startup at less than 6 amps and 3.4 amps running current. Hardest part was hiding the balast!

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 10/19/10 at 12:55:36

IN-S40 wrote on 10/18/10 at 14:17:21:
A HID headlight was one of the first things I did to my bike, the girlfriends bike will have one before next summer. MUCH brighter than stock!! I went with one from DDM Tunning and have no complaints. Its a 35 watt bulb/balast with hi/lo. The Hi/lo is done by sliding the bulb forward and back. There is a metal piece that surounds the bulb and when you hit the hi beam the bulb slides back to an opening in the metal surround that lets light pass through to the rest of the headlight. Hard to describe with out actually seeing how it works, but it does function pretty good and the hi/lo works well considering its only a single 35 watt bulb. They list the startup at less than 6 amps and 3.4 amps running current. Hardest part was hiding the balast!

Darren
IN-S40

Looked them up on their website, and it sounds like a nice upgrade. Do you know which model you went with? I looked up the parts fiche to find out which bulb is in there stock, and it shows an H14. I don't see that one listed. Does anyone know what an H14 cross references with? Or better yet, what other light bulb model #s work with the stock bucket?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #7 - 10/19/10 at 14:24:05

I ordered the H4 and it fit just like the halogen bulb with the 3 prongs that stick out. This is their bulb guide  https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&down...

I went with 6,000K and I like it, bright but not too blue... what I would call an ice blue color.

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/19/10 at 14:41:30

H4 is our bulb and I went with 6k too.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 10/19/10 at 15:20:06

IN-S40 wrote on 10/19/10 at 14:24:05:
I ordered the H4 and it fit just like the halogen bulb with the 3 prongs that stick out. This is their bulb guide  https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&down...

I went with 6,000K and I like it, bright but not too blue... what I would call an ice blue color.

Darren
IN-S40

Thanks! Looks like one for the Christmas list. (It's only 65 shopping days away  Cheesy)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 04/11/11 at 14:02:12

verslagen1 wrote on 10/17/10 at 20:09:24:
2 part project...

Put a HID conversion kit on.
Hi beam in a 60 watt halogen light
Lo beam is HID, boy is it bright.
Lo is brighter than high beam, coverage is just less.
Makes a bright spot as wide as a lane.
right now I think I have it aimed down a bit,
got to look into what the correct aim should be.

How do you have a Hi beam halogen light, and a Lo beam HID light?  There doesn't seem to be space in the stock headlight bucket for two bulbs.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/11/11 at 14:43:17

They are made as a single unit, 2 bulbs on a single base.

WWW   IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #12 - 05/24/11 at 21:05:18

verslagen1 wrote on 04/11/11 at 14:43:17:
They are made as a single unit, 2 bulbs on a single base.

Do you have a link to where you purchased the conversion kit?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/24/11 at 22:08:58

I'd just looked where I got it, no longer there.

WWW   IP Logged
OldenGnarley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/25/11 at 04:16:04

cool mod. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home