Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Unions striking in France (Read 358 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Unions striking in France
Reply #15 - 10/15/10 at 06:06:44

How long should a carpenter have to work?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/15/10 at 06:54:57

mpescatori wrote on 10/15/10 at 05:52:07:
For once, I agree with Lupo.

Seeing you guys yak away at the french strike is like me yakking away at L.A. gang wars... it's an exercise in dialectics, and nothing more.

On the other hand, exactly how long should an employee work before he should / can retire ?
How long should a guy work in th elocal Police force, or in the local FD, or in the Army ?

I honestly cannot imagine a 65y.o. State Trooper, of Fireman, or even a 55y.o. marine still hollering "gung ho!" at the top of his lungs...
The body quite simply cannot take the punishment doled out by some jobs any more than so much, by the age of 40 - 45 max - one is worn out.
Literally.

So, a librarian can easily work to 70, but an ambulance driver ?
AND
Why on earth should all systems relate to the US system, anyway ?
Huh

When I was young & strong, I did hard labor & enjoyed it. As I got older, I got into less physically demanding jobs & now, Im simply not able to have a job, because I never know if Im gonna be in shape to even get out, so, no schedule for me, I just do what I can, when I can.

That said, with regard to a soldier, let them be soldiers or oil filed workers when theyre young, people can get training to slip into jobs requiring expertiose over brawn & can transition into another type of work, & another,, no need to just doi ONE job ,, really, are peoples interests & desires so narrow? I wanted to be a mechanic, body man, painter, welder, machinist when I was a kid. I got to do quite a few of them..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 10/15/10 at 07:05:12

I agree with JOG, and also see the wisdom of different retirement ages for different occupations.

Sure, a fire fighter at age 70 is a stretch, although I actually do know one who is retiring this January at age 72.  To look at him you'd think he is 55.

But the idea of some gov't clerk, sitting at a desk, doing no physical activity beyond walking to the coffee pot, or a typical school teacher saying that they need to go out after 30 years service, at age 55 say, is silly.

Soldiers, cops, firefighters aren't the typical "worker" in today's world.

Take gov't and private sector employment, and what % sit behind desks or have other non-strenuous jobs? - my guess is probably about 70% at the least.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #18 - 10/15/10 at 17:17:47

In my case I have had so many different jobs I hosestly cant remember them all but most jobs were standing up jobs cook ,waiter,a bartender for 25 years 9 hours a day on my feet with not one chance to sit down,my legs started to give out so I became a chauffeur,then I had 10 hours a day on my a$$.During my time as a bartender I became a minister and I actally married a couple ,they stayed married until they died 2 months later a few days apart,they both had lung cancer both smoked like chimineys,and they both thought I was a real nice guy, boy how wrong were they ?
How cool was that though to be a minister and an atheist.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 10/15/10 at 17:19:13

bill67 wrote on 10/15/10 at 06:06:44:
How long should a carpenter have to work?

until he finishes the job.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #20 - 10/16/10 at 19:44:32

[quote author=78777B717A777C707760757760120 link=1287077739/15#17 date=1287151512]I agree with JOG, and also see the wisdom of different retirement ages for different occupations.

Sure, a fire fighter at age 70 is a stretch, although I actually do know one who is retiring this January at age 72.  To look at him you'd think he is 55.

But the idea of some gov't clerk, sitting at a desk, doing no physical activity beyond walking to the coffee pot, or a typical school teacher saying that they need to go out after 30 years service, at age 55 say, is silly.

Soldiers, cops, firefighters aren't the typical "worker" in today's world.

Take gov't and private sector employment, and what % sit behind desks or have other non-strenuous jobs? - my guess is probably about 70% at the least.[/quote
When I was a bartender at "Kelly's" restaurante and bar one of my waiters was an lawyer and another was the parking lot attendant,in fact he handled on of my devorces,no charge, As far as I know the waiter stayed there, last I heard of him he was the head waiter.Making real good money...

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #21 - 10/16/10 at 20:04:44

Very few people can work dillligently after 60years of age as a teacher, the kids drain you within the first few hours of the day. (You laugh but my wife is one of the most energetic  people I know and the two days a week she works really take it out of her) (her nickname at her school was the energizer bunny. Grin)
55 year old firemen..I doubt if one could carry a 200 pound man/woman out of a burning fire.  Yet retiring at
55-60 is not usually a good thing.  We need to have different jobs for these worn out peoople so they can be productive workers into their late 60's early 70's.   I retireed at 64, now I drive a school bus part time..too boring a life with no tasks to perform.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 10/16/10 at 20:14:26

And social security has so many other social programs added to it..SSI etc that it is no longer a backup retirement plan..just disingenious mislabelled social "curative" measures.

Did you notice the medicaire theft ring led by armenian mobsters..why doesn't medicare send out an investigator every time a doctor changes his address to see if the place really exists?  Well, because the investigative staffing was gutted by Ronnie et al to save money. Roll Eyes

Americans are the most gulllible people in the world..every time we reduce oversight, it ends up with the banks' vaults being thrown open and the guards fired. Suddenly all the money is stolen. Duh..thankfully we never learn so we get to poney up through taxes for all the theft.  Ahhh, what a ssytem. Grin

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #23 - 10/16/10 at 20:17:38

Trippah my 4th wife was a teacher and I can vouch for how hard they work she busted her cute little butt but she was exausted at the end of the day,they all deserve double the pay for less work.And when she came home she spent half the evening getting lesson plans ready for the morning, it isn't just 8am to 4pm,she even had me making things in my shop for the kids ,  they deserve all the help we can give them.And I'm sure your wife is like mine in half the time blaming the parents,most don't lift a hand to help the kids with reading at home,just plonk em down in front of the TV,
Don't teachers have there own retirement plan ?

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #24 - 10/18/10 at 04:06:54

This past weekend we had our 45th high school reunion.  I went to a very large high school - we had about 450 graduates in our class.  About 100 showed up for the reunion.

One guy sitting at our table was a really sad case.  He was smart enough in school - not a genius, but not a dullard either.  He graduated from college at Ohio State.

He worked for 30 years at the state unemployment bureau, then retired at age 52, 11 years ago, after the required 30 years of service.

He never married, and was an only child.  He lives in the same house where he grew up.  When my wife asked him if he has any interests or hobbies to fill his day, he replied, "No, not really".  He basically sits around all day, watches TV, makes a trip to the grocery or to Walmart once in a while, and that's how he has spent the last 11 years, and will spend the rest of his life.

What a waste.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #25 - 10/18/10 at 13:59:31

+1

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #26 - 10/18/10 at 16:13:07

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 10/18/10 at 04:06:54:
This past weekend we had our 45th high school reunion.  I went to a very large high school - we had about 450 graduates in our class.  About 100 showed up for the reunion.

One guy sitting at our table was a really sad case.  He was smart enough in school - not a genius, but not a dullard either.  He graduated from college at Ohio State.

He worked for 30 years at the state unemployment bureau, then retired at age 52, 11 years ago, after the required 30 years of service.

He never married, and was an only child.  He lives in the same house where he grew up.  When my wife asked him if he has any interests or hobbies to fill his day, he replied, "No, not really".  He basically sits around all day, watches TV, makes a trip to the grocery or to Walmart once in a while, and that's how he has spent the last 11 years, and will spend the rest of his life.

What a waste.

next time he goes to Wal-Mart he should apply for a greeters job,it'l get him out of the house,and he will meet people, your friend has zero imagination,wouldn't make much difference if he was dead.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 10/18/10 at 17:42:05

Boring people are the bored people.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #28 - 10/18/10 at 22:44:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/18/10 at 17:42:05:
Boring people are the bored people.

you sure are not boring,very stuborn but not boring.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 10/21/10 at 17:05:50

I'm 58, my hip arthritis makes it painful to walk. I can't retire, but I would not deny that chance to anyone.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:19:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Unions striking in France

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.