Send Topic Print
Bike wont start (Read 663 times)
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Bike wont start
10/11/10 at 16:17:57

Ok. I left work earlier today and my bike wouldnt start, thought maybe I left it on park so I pop started it and rode home. At least a 30 mins ride, when I got home I tried starting it thinking if it was the battery it would now have some kind of a charge but same thing. The lights are on strong and just one single click from the starter.

I plan on hooking the starter to the + on the battery and see if it spins first. What do you guys think? Solenoid, relay? Where are they located and what at the troubleshooting steps?

Thnx guys,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bike wont start
Reply #1 - 10/11/10 at 16:39:58

Charge the battery, test the voltage -- you want over 12.4 volts for a good battery fully charged.

Bike is in neutral, on the side stand.  

Switch is off for now.

Take jumper cables from a 12 volt car battery and ground the negative jumper cable clamp to the bike's frame on a plated piece of metal like the sidestand, pull back the rubber boot from the starter motor large red junction block and put a piece of metal that you don't mind getting scarred up into the jaws of the positive jumper cable clamp and just touch the exposed positive cable junction on the starter motor itself with the positive contact piece of metal.

Expect some sparks, some heat and some snap sounds -- DC carries some energy and the starter motor draws some decent power.

If the starter motor even tries to run, stop at once.   Starter is likely not the issue.

Follow the big cable from the starter block you just jumped to back to the starter solenoid.   Make sure connections are clean and not corroded.  Check the large connection on the other side and trace the big cable back to the battery -- once again clean, no corrosion, nice and tight.

I generally make up a nice long fairly substantial red lead with an alligator clip on it to use for troubleshooting bike electrics.  Put the clip on the positive on the battery and touch the exposed bare wire on the other end to the red small lead going to the solenoid, energizing it briefly as if it had just gotten a "go" signal from the starter switch.

If the solenoid clicks and the starter motor tries to run stop at once -- the solenoid is likely not the problem.

Now you are off into the electrics and the various safety switches and the handlebar housings and the starter switch up on the handle bars and the kill switch and all the rest of the convoluted wire runs and other crap that you will now have to deal with.

We have some electrical engineer types here on the list who are better troubleshooting that mare's nest than I am -- they can take over now.

If you don't own a volt ohm meter -- sing out now.   You will be helpless without one.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/11/10 at 17:02:52

I do not have a voltmeter. I guess I could go buy one but I am pretty sure the battery is good, started this morning strong as usual and all the lights are on real strong too.

I'll test the starter tomorrow, then move on to the solenoid after work and will post back the results.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/11/10 at 18:30:16

I never had a volt meter in my life,And don't need one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/11/10 at 18:53:10

There was no warning either, just stopped cranking. I am gearing more toward the solenoid or as it is called also by some, the starter relay. Will jump it tomorrow, I guess if the starter cranks that means the solenoid is bad. Looked it up, $55 part for a new one or $40 for a universal. It seems to be pretty common failure point too, wondering if I should save a few bucks and get a universal one that may be a better design, although there isnt much to it.

Check:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=&catId...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/11/10 at 19:10:35

Harbor Freight will sell you a very usable volt ohm meter for less than $4.00 on sale most weekends.  WalMart, KMart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone will charge you 2-3 times more than Harbor Freight for equivalent tools.

======================

If you aren't equipped to do simple things like "check continuity" and "verify voltage reaches the xxxx" you won't go very far chasing down a no start condition very far into the electrical maze.

======================

Bill, why does this not surprise me that you do not own the simplest electrical diagnostic tool?

Is there any wholistic Billistic medicine (or any of your simple magic spells?) you want to tell Arnold about that can magically fix his bike's electrical problem?

Otherwise, we are gonna convert him to the "reality side of things" and get him buy a volt ohm meter ....

Arnold,

Don't go buying electrical things until you know you need them .....   most places will not let you carry back electronic items (ever).

Many times these won't start sort of things turn into corroded or loose terminals or other very simple type fixes.

You can test your solenoid in place or take it out and test it very easily to decide if it works correctly or not.   Just supply 12 volt voltage to the small contacts, she should click for you and show continuity across the big contacts.

Remember this trick ....

I generally make up a nice long fairly substantial red lead with an alligator clip on one end of it to use for troubleshooting bike electrics.  Put the clip on the positive on the battery and touch the exposed bare wire on the other end to the red small lead going to the small solenoid contact, energizing it briefly as if it had just gotten a "go" signal from the starter switch.  (testing the solenoid in place)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 10/12/10 at 05:14:22

I can afford a voltmeter if need be, no problem. My last one fried and never had a need for a new one since. Took the car to work this morning and I'm hoping I'll be able to get a good diagnosis on the bike tonight. I already have the seat off but then it got dark and didnt feel like getting electrocuted Smiley darn those shorter days. I want to get it fixed before it gets too cold though, come on, there's a few more riding days left I know it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/12/10 at 05:25:34

A test light is handy for finding 12 volts. I have 2 ohm meters & a test lite & I still dont like messin with electrical hassles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 10/12/10 at 05:35:08

The starter is probably good, I dont think they go bad as quick as solenoids and relays. I have the Clymer manual but the electric diagrams in there give me a headache.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/12/10 at 05:36:57

You can short around the solenoid easily. Hook 12 volts straight to the starter. Just give the thing a head start run by getting it past the compression stroke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 10/12/10 at 05:47:13

I've read touch both large poles with the big bolt on solenoid using a screwdriver and see if it starts.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/12/10 at 05:56:31

Use process of elimination.
You can do a whole lot w/ a 12v test light, and a 2 ft 12ga jumper...clip on both ends.

And remember, Bill is the only one that doesn't need any test equipment to trouble shoot electrical !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 10/12/10 at 06:03:06

Remember if you connect the large bolts on the starter relay, you are bypassing the relay completely.
It you are connecting the battery side to the small terminal, you are bypassing only the starter button.....and wiring inbetween.
Arnold wrote on 10/12/10 at 05:47:13:
I've read touch both large poles with the big bolt on solenoid using a screwdriver and see if it starts.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/12/10 at 06:18:16

So by touching the bolts together, if the bike starts then the solenoid is shot right? That'll be my first test.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/12/10 at 09:03:37

Arnold wrote on 10/12/10 at 06:18:16:
So by touching the bolts together, if the bike starts then the solenoid is shot right? That'll be my first test.

No. It only means the starter is NOT shot. Next step is either the starter solenoid, OR the decomp relay doesn't engage the starter solenoid. That's how it works - when you hit START, you actually send a signal to decompression circuit to start the decomp sequence AND (should) engage the starter solenoid, which, in turn (should) engages the starter. Decomp circuit will ALSO make a click loud enough to be confused with starter solenoid. Keep that in mind. We go backwards with diagnostics.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.