YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Battery?
10/15/10 at 11:28:58

How can you tell when it's time to replace it?

When turning on the blinkers causes it to miss in time with the lights.
Grin

yep, dun used all them electrons

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Battery?
Reply #1 - 10/15/10 at 12:18:41

If I had to answer that, my guess would be when it no longer does the job that you want it to do. We're probably all different.

If you didn't have access to ac power to connect a minder/tender to it, and did not ride often, you need a "good battery"

Me,....?....if I don't ride for a few days, I connect a tender, so I wouldn't even know how good the battery is,.....except I do know mine was weak 1 1/2 yrs ago. But doing the way I do, it still serves me fine.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/15/10 at 12:29:01

When I don't ride for 4 months in the winter I started it up in the spring and go for a ride and the motorcycle charges the battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 10/15/10 at 12:39:14

Bill,
You must have one of those "good batteries" I was talking about.

Mine won't do that,....and sounds like Versl's won't either.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 10/15/10 at 13:07:03

I just bought a new battery,I bought a new 2006 in late august of 2007,So the battery had sat for a while.I didn't ride for 2 days and it was shot about a month ago,Up till then it was strong,I think I must have left the parking light on,cause the lights or nothing came on. And it wouldn't take a charge.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/15/10 at 13:52:58

this was a battery that came on the wrecked bike.
So I had no idea how old it was or what.
I figured I'd use it till it was dead.
Lasted year and a half.
Last couple of months had to trickle it once a week.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 10/15/10 at 18:35:20

My 2001 came with a flat Yuasa. No lights. I charged it the next day for about an hour and rode it for a few weeks or months, don't remember. Left the switch on and flattened it completely. Charged it again. That was summer 2009. A little dragging and wouldn't crank after being off it for 2 weeks. Used starting fluid and it fired up. I know I have been really lucky. I guess I'll go back to Yuasa. I'm going to hook up the trickle charger I bought last year just to help it out this winter.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 10/22/10 at 21:06:40

verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/10 at 11:28:58:
How can you tell when it's time to replace it?....

The gold standard battery test available to the common man remains the load test.

Here is a load tester that will not break the bank:

Load Tester

Wait for a sale and save 10-20 bucks.  Ive had one for a while and have used it several times.  It rox!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/23/10 at 05:20:28

Agreed,......if you have only 1 pc of test equipment, it should probably be a 12v test lite. But if you have 2, the 2nd should be the cheaper 50 amp load tester, because it will test the batteries in bikes, all your cars and trucks, and even those little jump starters,.......even my 12v lawn mower. It make a good volt meter for checking charging systems.

And if you want a better one, w/ much higher adjustable amperage,....along w/ an ammeter, get the one Digger posted above !

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/23/10 at 05:39:50

Or, you can charge it or jump it to get it started then volt/ohm test the charging voltage on the bike with the old battery in place just to see if your regulator/rectifier is actually working correctly, and if it tests good on charging voltage then simply pop the bucks for a replacement battery as it is SAME COST OR CHEAPER than that big arsed load tester.

(if you pick the new battery up at Wal Mart that is)

One has to question, since Bill never uses any oil, never has any maintenance problem of any type with his bike and his battery has never died nor needed charging -- perhaps it is because he simply hasn't ridden his bike since the turn of the century?

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/23/10 at 06:08:52

You don't need a voltage tester a battery charger tells you if the battery is good are not.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/23/10 at 06:13:17

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/23/10 at 05:39:50:

Or, you can charge it or jump it to get it started then volt/ohm test the charging voltage on the bike with the old battery in place just to see if your regulator/rectifier is actually working correctly, and if it tests good on charging voltage then simply pop the bucks for a replacement battery as it is SAME COST OR CHEAPER than that big arsed load tester.

(if you pick the new battery up at Wal Mart that is)

One has to question, since Bill never uses any oil, never has any maintenance problem of any type with his bike and his battery has never died nor needed charging -- perhaps it is because he simply hasn't ridden his bike since the turn of the century?

Roll Eyes

My secret use the best motorcycle oil(Klotz)Don't over work the battery with a tender.I drive 4.5 miles a day if its not raining and the temperature is between 70 and 80.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 10/23/10 at 06:25:28

Quote:
I drive 4.5 miles a day (cut)
------------------------------------------------
Bill,
I drive quite a bit too, but inquiring minds wonder if you ever ride Shocked

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/23/10 at 07:19:49

I have 2 bikes I ride, Suzuki 1500LC and the little S40,I ride about 3000 miles a year now that I'm 71,When my wife road it was 8000 in the 6 months of riding time here in Wisconsin,We never road to work and I worked 6 days a week so that was nights and Sundays and Holiday weekends.In the winter we put on appox. 3000 miles on snowmobiles If thats not riding I don't ride.To me riding to work on the same road every day is not really enjoyable riding.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/23/10 at 08:42:15

To me riding to work on the same road every day is not really enjoyable riding.

IMO, riding to work is just a way to try to make going to work more fun.Or less painful, maybe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.