Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hoarders (Read 136 times)
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

hoarders
10/11/10 at 10:06:23

Anyone ever watch the show Hoarders on A&E or TLC. yuck!!! makes me get up and clean my place everytime I watch it.
I don't get it, I can understand some of the junk, but not the filth, dog crap, rotten food, can just imagine the stink Shocked

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: hoarders
Reply #1 - 10/11/10 at 10:16:36

piglt wrote on 10/11/10 at 10:06:23:
Anyone ever watch the show Hoarders on A&E or TLC. yuck!!! makes me get up and clean my place everytime I watch it.
I don't get it, I can understand some of the junk, but not the filth, dog crap, rotten food, can just imagine the stink Shocked

don't watch it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/11/10 at 10:39:29

I watch it,... and tend to have the same reaction as you...
It's gotten' me to go through my junk drawers and clean out my closet...  
...but for people with some hoarding tendencies, it might give solace,... "At least I'm not that bad"...

We are a very stuff oriented society...

"The things you own, end up owning you"... Tyler Durden (Fight Club)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 10/11/10 at 10:56:26

I've watched it a few times.  It is amazing that there are so many people who have the "disorder", they are able to make a show about it!  And yes, same reaction.... stuff is one thing, filth is just disgusting...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 10/11/10 at 10:59:21

Dealing with a hoarder personally is a challenge. My Gma's current place of residence doesn't look as bad as most of those, but she has another house packed full of junk plus 3 storage units. Been working with her to go through some of the stuff and eliminated 2 of the storage units so far. Hardest thing for her is to do is get rid of her "treasures" and all the old paperwork (retired school teacher).

Glad to say my wife helps keep me from gathering that much junk. When she decides to go through a closet or room, I always kid that I better grab my "valuables" or they will end up missing  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 10/11/10 at 11:23:17

EJID wrote on 10/11/10 at 10:59:21:
Dealing with a hoarder personally is a challenge. My Gma's current place of residence doesn't look as bad as most of those, but she has another house packed full of junk plus 3 storage units. Been working with her to go through some of the stuff and eliminated 2 of the storage units so far. Hardest thing for her is to do is get rid of her "treasures" and all the old paperwork (retired school teacher).

Glad to say my wife helps keep me from gathering that much junk. When she decides to go through a closet or room, I always kid that I better grab my "valuables" or they will end up missing  Shocked

Don't you wear the family jewels ? you don't want those going missing Shocked

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 10/11/10 at 16:35:01

on the other hand ... my wife wonders why i have on old broken riding lawn mower behind the shed -

today i stole the solenoid to fix the (slightly) less junky riding mower!  

SEE! I kept that junk lying around and now it saved me .... .... oh -  $5 or $ 10 ?

maybe my wife is right!   Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/11/10 at 16:47:02

lol run
its not junk, its spare parts

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 10/11/10 at 19:41:47

I can't stand clutter and don't understand how some can live in conditions like that.
I do some kind of cleaning everyday.  
O and I have been in houses like those portrayed on that show, only a path in and out. I guess if their happy living like that than it is not up to me to change it. I just know it is not a way I care to live.  kim

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 10/11/10 at 20:18:18

I watched about 10 minutes..that was enough.  Thesus: if someone has an illness, another person will make a tv show about it.  Reality tv (what a joke).  I'd rather waste, er spend my time, on forums like this one where occassionally you learn something. Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/12/10 at 04:04:27

If someone doesnt know what they have and where it is, they have a problem. As long as I know what I have and where it is, I am storing things reasonably, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #11 - 10/12/10 at 06:40:05

kimchris1 wrote on 10/11/10 at 19:41:47:
I can't stand clutter and don't understand how some can live in conditions like that.
I do some kind of cleaning everyday.  
O and I have been in houses like those portrayed on that show, only a path in and out. I guess if their happy living like that than it is not up to me to change it. I just know it is not a way I care to live.  kim

If you watch the show, the peeps on it dont choose to live like that.  Its a mental illness, a compulsion and even when they are miserable and dont want to be that way its a very hard problem to get treatment for.  That kind of horrid mess is not just being lazy, its a legitmate mental disorder.  

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 10/12/10 at 07:38:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/12/10 at 04:04:27:
If someone doesnt know what they have and where it is, they have a problem. As long as I know what I have and where it is, I am storing things reasonably, IMO.

Justin, my Gma knows where most everything is in her stashed treasures, but like Run said, some of those items are stashed away as spare parts and now those "spare parts" have started to overrun the living space that is needed.

My wife and I had to step in and start to make a difference when she had a legitimate health issue where the EMTs were unable to get a gurney into her house to get her out!

The upside to going through those things now is, she is able to tell us stories about some of these "treasures" when we pull them out rather than us tossing them in the trash.  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Reply #13 - 10/13/10 at 05:10:58

I occasionally watch the show, puts me in the house cleaning mode. My mother was a horader, when she moved @ 10 years ago, we hauled 4 trailer (4'x6'x4') fulls of magazines to the dump. Why she kept them? They had an article in them that she wanted to keep. She got the point when she was handed a magazine (@5 years old) asked what article she wanted to keep out of it, and she couldn't find it!  Shocked It was frusterating and sad having to tell her why her grandchildren "couldn't" spend much time with her at her house. BUT, I don't believe that it is a disease, depression?, maybe, keepsakes?, some, but when it's a matter of taking the trash out.............(just my opinion)There are plenty of days that I don't want to clean my house, but I do it anyway, because I have to.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 23:33:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › hoarders

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.