Send Topic Print
Other bikes? (Read 145 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Other bikes?
10/09/10 at 09:07:33

I'm possibly going to be offered a Yamaha 550 Maxim with 17k on it in a partial trade/cash for a car I'm getting rid of. Any of you more "experienced" folks know anything about these early 80's bikes?

What I've read from some online sources say they're reliable, if a bit under-performing. The sources though are Yamaha enthusiasts and not necessarily as open minded and honest about their bikes as those of us on this site.

Just curious as to if I should show any interest in this part of the deal.

Jack

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Other bikes?
Reply #1 - 10/09/10 at 09:52:09

It is a miniature XS1100 engine. Keep fresh oil in it, at least a 15W40, and they are nearly bullet proof.

As for the other components... they tended to eat the front brakes. Carbs are a bit "touchy". Fork seals are UJM standard leakers.

Basic 1980s Japanese motorcycle. No better or worse than any other midsized metric from the same era. Basic, boring, reliable.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/09/10 at 12:07:53

Be aware that you will NEED a good internet community with active sources for break-down-an-old-bike type parts.

Yamaha DOES NOT SUPPLY ANY NEW PARTS past the 15 year mark.

This bike has NO SUPPLY OF NEW PARTS AT ALL and hasn't had any for the last 10 plus years .....

Unless you have a GOOD community with lots of people busting up old bikes all the time or you have the ability (electrical and mechanical) to fabricate or fake up what you need, consider not taking on a "mission impossible" bike.

The ultimate failure point on these old Yamaha bikes is electrical
(as in black box type electrical)

Go on line and find out what kills your particular old bike (they have discussed it to death and ether have a way around it or some alternate part identified that will work in place of it)

Speaking as the current owner of a vintage Yamaha XV535, done been there and done that, got all the various tee shirts too.   I am currently running a starter relay off a riding lawnmower and a 7 wire voltage rectifier regulator off a Suzuki GSXR modded to go on a 4 wire Yamaha electrical system.    Roll Eyes  Shocked  Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/09/10 at 15:13:56

I've had a couple of them.They are good running bikes.Plus they make kool bobbers Cool.Go figure,huh?
Just don't put the flamethrower button in the MIDDLE of the handlebars Roll Eyes
The other one was a dresser....for awhile Roll Eyes

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 10/10/10 at 10:29:25

I had a 83 XJ750 Maxim for a while, they are pretty good bikes as long as they are taken care of. Here is a link to a forum for the XJ series Yamaha's, covers both the XJ Maxim and XJ Seca. http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/10/10 at 10:51:37

I suspect that it would only require the death of some obscure electronical doohickey to make a daily rider a playground toy for kids to sit on. Unless youre certain of parts being available,, well,, you know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:20:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Other bikes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.