Ahem.. Oil... (Read 119 times)
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Ahem.. Oil...
10/08/10 at 23:07:55

Grin Grin   sorry couldnt help it...
Yes a while back i was trying a new oil cause they had it for motorcycles too and i do LIKE their oil very much in my car / truck... so i tried their oil for the motorcycle... was i warned ? Yep... Know who warned me?  Ol Feller... Did i listen ? Nope...  Did i lern...  Angry Angry    Yep... goin back to Rotella T6, an ifn any youse tell me skeeter oyl or specel fangled doo dads... youll be waren a wrench on yer head!  Angry

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Ahem.. Oil...
Reply #1 - 10/09/10 at 01:49:19

Just curious, out of all the volumes of mixed bullshit thrown out during oil wars, what was the little nugget of truth that found a home with you as "real"?

=================================

And whatever it was -- I bet you can get confirmation (sight unseen, not even knowing what it was exactly)  from a third party source that has no dog in any of our many many oil wars.

The Opel GT (and all the rest of the 1.1 to 1.9 liter Opel engines) all were very much like our Savage engine as far as the valve train goes.  Flat tappets all the way -- and they are having to replace a whole bunch of them too !!!

Here is what they have to say after their own exhaustive research into modern motor oils.

http://www.opelclub.com/ZDDP2.pdf

« Last Edit: 10/09/10 at 09:52:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #2 - 10/09/10 at 07:36:17

i tried to be careful and listen to what schaeffer had to say bout their 20w-50 you warned me about the soluble micron moly... their oil is TOP NOTCH for vehicles but they are not entirely accurate in their statement:
Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus Racing Oil SAE 20W-50 is recommended for use in all 4-cycle air-cooled or water-cooled motorcycle and ATV engines. Supreme 7000 Synthetic Racing Oil SAE 20W-50 can also used in those motorcycles that have a common sump for the engine and transmission.
And so yes slight slippage did occur...
So back to stay with the rotella... period... if it works why in the world change...

p.s..  found out from another "tech" when i called them ..again.. is yes it will work in common sump .. if the plates are fiber... Angry Angry

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/09/10 at 08:03:52

OF, Opel GTs only came with 1.1L (rare) or 1.9L (most) engines. They used a "cam in head" design with rocker arms similar to a small block Chevy. The real problem with Opel heads is most only had 3 cam bearings, leaving the cam unsupported between #3 & #4 cylinders. This leads to valve train problems when turning one 8000+ rpms. Cool

Ask ne how I know. Wink

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahem.. Oil...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.