babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Neighbor wrecked
10/06/10 at 19:56:27

Watching that "Stylin" video reminded me....  My 75 year old neighbor wrecked his new 150cc scooter last Friday evening.

I had just gotten home from work, hubby got a phone call, I heard him say "how bad is it?" as he is getting up off the couch, motioning for me to get up and follow him...  Across-the-street neighbor was coming home and came upon a stopped vehicle, he got out and saw my neighbor on the pavement, the lady behind him had stopped to help.  Neighbor told him to call my hubby to come get his bike and for him to take him home.  No way, gotta call 911, face was all bloody.  We got there before the ambulance did, as it was less than a mile from our house.  Poor thing ended up with 4 broken ribs, stitches in his forehead, and scrapes and bruises from head to toe.

Main cause (aside from his age) - sun got in his eyes coming around a curve and he lost orientation, dropped the wheels off the pavement and lost it when he tried to correct.  Second thing was that he didn't have the helmet strapped tightly on his head, so when he hit, it skewed and smashed his glasses against the side of his eye.  

Say a prayer for him, his ribs will take 6-8 weeks to heal properly.

And ride safe!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Neighbor wrecked
Reply #1 - 10/06/10 at 20:02:27

Aww Heck, I know how to heal the old dude right UP!

Phelonius can send him a vial of his blood & the doc can put it in his arm. His blood KNOWS what healin up is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/06/10 at 20:22:48

Speedy healing from Serowbot... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 10/06/10 at 22:05:04

Speedy recovery, hug and kisses to him from Kim Smiley Kiss

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/06/10 at 22:11:06

kimchris1 wrote on 10/06/10 at 22:05:04:
Speedy recovery, hug and kisses to him from Kim Smiley Kiss

Tell him,... ...I don't do the huggie kissy thing... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 10/07/10 at 03:33:03

Ouch, hope he heals up ok.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 10/07/10 at 06:22:00

By golly, 75 years old and still riding something on two wheels. That's awesome!

My hats off to him. I figure that when I can't swing this old leg over a bike anymore I will get a scooter. The adventure of 54 years will continue.

Wishes for a speedy recovery, and by golly, my friend, get right back on that magic machine and go for the gold. You only get one go-around in this life, and you can and should make the most of it..

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 10/07/10 at 07:02:48

Thanks everyone.  

I will also mention that he ordered it online, had it shipped in a crate, and he assembled it.  First time I rode it, I noticed the front wheel felt out of balance.  Got to looking at it, and there was a bushing/spacer that he was unable to get inserted (couldn't pull the forks apart far enough) so he put a stack of washers in its place!!  The washers had mis-aligned, because the center hole was bigger than the rod they were on.  Duh.  Well, the bushing should have recessed into the wheel, and he just didn't push it in far enough.  So we fixed that for him, and helped him tune it up, changed the shipping oil, etc.

After a few short initial rides, he said he felt unstable on it, dropped it in the grass a few times.  He had been talking about selling it and ordering the 3-wheel version.  But he had been riding more and getting more comfortable, so he ventured about 5 miles from home to visit his daughter.  I'm just glad he didn't take it into town.

He says he will definitely get rid of the 2-wheel, but he still wants the 3-wheel.  So we will see what happens after his ribs heal.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 10/07/10 at 08:21:30

ope he heals up quickly.

Gotta admire his spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/07/10 at 09:26:44

hope he feels better soon.will keep him in my prayers

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/07/10 at 10:25:05

best wishes and prayers for him

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 10/07/10 at 19:30:17

All the best to the guy!

Gotta admire his spirit and energy!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #12 - 10/07/10 at 20:11:40

You said "Watching that "Stylin" video reminded me....  My 75 year old neighbor wrecked his new 150cc scooter last Friday evening. " Huh
Please don't tell me the old guy rides like that Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 10/08/10 at 06:17:02

Lupo wrote on 10/07/10 at 20:11:40:
You said "Watching that "Stylin" video reminded me....  My 75 year old neighbor wrecked his new 150cc scooter last Friday evening. " Huh
Please don't tell me the old guy rides like that Grin

Haha!!  Yea, I guess that sounded a little odd... I don't think he will be trying any riding like that, although if he gets the 3-wheeler, I wouldn't put it past him to try it!   

It was the scooter the guy was riding in that video that triggered the thought of my neighbor...    Wink

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #14 - 10/08/10 at 09:53:18

A little late, but prayers sent. It's the time of year to remind everyone not to get too complacent while trying to get those last rides in. Found a frayed clutch cable among a few other details myself recently!

Ride safe!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 16:43:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Neighbor wrecked

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.