Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing 1st and neutral (Read 224 times)
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Missing 1st and neutral
10/06/10 at 09:58:03

Where'd my gears go?    Huh

Been a couple of weeks since I've been on her.  Took her out today no problem.  Put her in first, then neutral while I cranked up, put on gloves, helmet.  Pulled out of my place and got a few miles down the road when I noticed I couldn't get into first or neutral.  2nd gear is as far down as I can go.  The shifter is like it's in first.  Won't go down any further.

I think to myself "hmm better ask about this".  I turn around and drive home where I find I can't switch to 2nd!  Take a look at things and realize that the shifter isn't popping back up like it should when downshifting.  I have to raise it up a tad, it then clicks into place, and I can downshift.  I oil everything around there pretty good.  Maybe that will fix it once it seeps in.  

Still no 1st or neutral tho.    Undecided  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Missing 1st and neutral
Reply #1 - 10/06/10 at 10:02:20

have you checked the linkage?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/06/10 at 10:12:34

Your gears are actuated by a rotating drum that has grooves in it that drive a pair of forks that move the gear clusters in and out of engagement.

You rotate the drum one click at a time up or down by driving a sprag actuator in a short linear stroke  with your foot.

That's your shifter.  

This is all explained starting at page 164 in Clymers.   Needless to say, proper adjustment is everything to this system for it to work correctly.  Clymers goes into good detail for what to check for wear, how to return the assemblies to proper tolerances and how to tune it as you put it back together.

Everything is accessible from the outside of the bike, the shifter control mechanism is actually fairly straightforward and simple.

The list has a long history of the shift rod getting bent and putting things out of time.

We also have a long history of the shift rod simply breaking off, so if you have a bent one consider replacing it rather than straightening it (especially if you straighten it once and it doesn't stay that way for long).

Good luck as you trace back through your issues.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #3 - 10/06/10 at 10:57:40

thumperclone wrote on 10/06/10 at 10:02:20:
have you checked the linkage?

Sorry but which linkage?  I'm quite the newb.   Embarrassed

Oldfeller my eyes glazed over a bit there, just like when I started reading the section on transmissions in the Clymers.  I looked there first I promise!   Wink

I guess now is a good a time as any for things to "break-in".  4k miles on her.  Time to dig in in earnest!

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - 10/06/10 at 11:22:27

It's down under your left foot. Connects shifter to tranny. Just a rod about 1/4 in dia. and 6-8 in long. Has nuts on both ends to adjust, I think.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/06/10 at 11:24:06

Either someone's been stompping on your shifter, or you had an oopsie and bent something.  Check it over carefully.  My shifter came off the wrecked bike so it was bent.  It was getting stuck when I shifted down.  

A hammer and a monkey wrench later...  Grin it was fine.

still required an adjustment of the lever position on the splines.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/06/10 at 16:54:37

And remember -- one of those nuts on the adjustment rod (front one I think) is LEFT HANDED so righty tighty lefty loosey isn't gonna work for both of them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/06/10 at 19:14:39

O/F said

Good luck as you trace back through your issues.

Sounds like the last sentence in the intro in a self help psychiatry program.

Several have bent shift rods. Some were bent from crashes. I suspect some were bent by people not knowing they needed to let out on the clutch a bit & then pull it again if theyve sat in neutral for while,while  idling with the clutch pulled in, in order to get it in first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/06/10 at 19:36:29

It is a secret device to cause frustration to newbies to weed out those who should not have a savage from those who can learn to be a mechanic.
Actually the Savage is not near as strict in this sense as most older bikes and a few of the new ones.
For instance, Enfield, and Ural  come to mind.
The easier a machine is to work on the more work it will need during its' lifetime.  My Ural was very easy to work on and I logged about 4 to 5 hours of wrench in hand for every hour in the saddle.
The Savage is more like 1 hour of work for every 12 hours in the saddle.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #9 - 10/07/10 at 14:16:44

it's definitely not bent.

I can adjust the bolts on either side of the linkage rod ofc but shouldn't I be able to manually move the circled regardless?  It's rock solid and will not move below 2nd.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #10 - 10/07/10 at 14:47:02

That arm should move (with the linkage removed). Try to see if you have any in and out play. I think you may have to order a Clymer repair manual and get ready to get very intimate with your Savage. Chapter 6 pg. 169.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #11 - 10/11/10 at 14:19:16

Whelp!  I worked on her yesterday for a bit.  Somehow Neutral was back.  I pulled the pictured above and tried to readjust it so that maybe I could use the shifter to shift further down.  It wouldn't go into first.  

Clymers next thing is to take the engine out and take things apart.  I do not have the tools or expertise to do this.

Anything else you guys can suggest before I have to pay the stealership $200+/hr?  I will try to find a shop that works on moto's but I live in a small town and doubt it.

Perhaps the transmission is still under warranty?  2007 with 4k miles.

Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing 1st and neutral

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.