Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine shutting off, any ideas? (Read 91 times)
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Engine shutting off, any ideas?
10/10/10 at 21:57:52

Twice now my engine has just shut off whilst going about 55mph.  Odd thing is, both times it has shut off has been at about the same spot in the road!  Near my house, there is a long uphill straight, that I usually go no more than 55mph on.  The first time, I thought I hit the kill switch, but today, I did not.  I am thinking that because it is uphill, and I am in 5th gear, that the motor is pretty bogged down, and somehow that is causing it.  Both times I have been almost to the top of the hill, and after it dies, I can cost to the side of the road, and it fires right back up.  After it quit today, and I started it back up, it felt a bit sluggish for a moment, but then was fine.  Any thoughts??

Jive

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Engine shutting off, any ideas?
Reply #1 - 10/10/10 at 22:01:50

Try down shifting as you mentioned you were taking it in 5th gear. That is what I would try.
You said it happened going uphill. It has never happened going straight or downhill?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/10/10 at 22:31:14

vacuum line from the carb to petcock. replace the line and/or run in prime for now. switch to a raptor petcock later.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/11/10 at 02:06:15

What everybody is saying is that your stock vacuum actuated petcock isn't flowing enough gas for wide open throttle uses for you on your bike under those particular circumstances.

===================

Let's run this thought out a bit -- you are running WFO for a bit and the petcock can't keep up because vac pressure is low and the diaphragm is stiff & old so your your bowl level is getting critical low due to only a dribble of gas getting thru the petcock ....

Bike is turning max rpm and should be making max HP, but instead it's leaning out to the point it sputters and pops.   It leans out to the max and gets really really hot instead.

THEORY

Have we just explained the occasional piston/rings suddenly mangled up and the very rare holed piston and popped off valve tulip?

If I were a heavy wrist-ed wicker I'd get rid of the stock petcock and go to a Raptor simply to forestall any massive "overheating the engine" issues down the road.  

Stock petcocks will fail eventually on you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #4 - 10/11/10 at 07:18:20

kimchris1 wrote on 10/10/10 at 22:01:50:
Try down shifting as you mentioned you were taking it in 5th gear. That is what I would try.
You said it happened going uphill. It has never happened going straight or downhill?

Yep, it has never happened anywhere else.  Even on the superslab going 70mph, it is fine.  I wasn't nowhere near full throttle either, just chugging along.  It was/is a very long uphill straight, I'd say almost 2 miles or so.

Jive

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/11/10 at 07:25:03

It makes me think you are running a little lean.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/11/10 at 13:53:48

Mine has done that (an 04). I would say with the others that it's a fuel issue. Mine would sputter and then quit when I started getting low on fuel even on reserve (going uphill). If I put it on prime it would run fine. You just need to remember to put it back on the regular position after your ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine shutting off, any ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.