Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flooding problem? Or something else? (Read 176 times)
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Flooding problem? Or something else?
10/02/10 at 11:19:42

Although I am a new member, I am a long time reader. I have been battling a problem that I need advice on. My wife's 100% stock 99 recently became more and more difficult to start so I replaced the plug, which had been replaced about 1,000 miles earlier, and all seemed well again. Then, soon after it began idling rough, sputtered, died, and fuel leaked from air box. I removed carb, thoroughly cleaned it, checked the float for buoyancy, and again replaced the plug. Started like a dream with no choke, throttle etc and idled perfectly. After a short ride, again idled roughly, sputtered and leaked through the air box. It does, however, idle better on the reserve position. What am I missing here? Additional info that confuses me is: with the tank off, fuel will not flow from petcock in the on position or prime position but flows freely in the reserve position. Sorry for the long post/question; just wanting to give all info. Thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Flooding problem? Or something else?
Reply #1 - 10/02/10 at 14:14:05

Prime is pulled back, reserve is pushed forward.

Check your vac line for fuel, then replace it.

Could be that your petcock is failing.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/02/10 at 14:29:05

step 1 for analyzing mysterious symptoms and issues is to REPLACE the stock petcock with a mechanical Raptor petcock.

Run the raptor for a week and repost your questions.   You will have a stable set of symptoms to talk about then while now all you have is a lot of "mysterious".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #3 - 10/02/10 at 14:35:57

Vacuum on the right side of carb? If I disconnect it while the bike is running, wouldn't I lose vacuum causing the fuel flow to stop anyway?

IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #4 - 10/02/10 at 14:37:00

What's the best place to order the Raptor and does anyone have a part #? Could the petcock create a situation where fuel gets in the airbox?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/02/10 at 16:48:07

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #6 - 10/02/10 at 17:18:00

Thanks for the link. I'll probably order it. I have since went out and checked the petcock and discovered that I was wrong about the settings. I took the fuel supply line off at the carb and tried the petcock at all settings. It does not flow on "on" or "reserve" but does on prime. I guess I was look at the lever and confusing the long end with the short end with arrow. Stupid on my part. Then I took the vacuum line off completely and blew straight through it to check for blockage. It is clear. I put in back on the petcock, with the supply line still off the carb, and I sucked on the carb end of the vacuum line, gas poured out of the supply line. I assume the petcock is okay with these checks, so I back to the possibility of a stuck float.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/02/10 at 19:04:19

Try some Sea Foam in your gas it will loosen up the float and clean and lube your carb.You can get it at wal mart or auto stores.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/02/10 at 19:51:51

From what all you checked, I agree, I think your problem is flooding in the carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #9 - 10/02/10 at 20:11:14

I just came in from the garage. I have a stock of seafoam I use for my Vulcan, so I disconnected the supply line from the carb, drained the bowl, and poured seafoam into the supply nipple on the carb using a section of fuel line and a tiny funnel until it wouldn't hold anymore. Then I added about 1/3 of a can of seafoam to the tank which was about 1/2 full of gas. After reconnecting the supply line, I'll let it sit till morning and see how it does, I'll update.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/02/10 at 21:55:09

I highly recommend switching to the raptor petcock one way or another just to avoid the inevitable "what if" scenarios. If seafoam doesnt clear up the issue you got a problem with the float or float valve. If you can determine the float isnt hanging up and sticking and that it hasnt got a hole in it causing it to sink then you're looking at a float valve.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/03/10 at 01:34:55

What's sad on the stock petcock tests is they only test if it really shuts off or not.   That's all they can test for.

What drives us crazy is when it shuts off OK, but it just doesn't flow enough gasoline to keep up with the engine useage at speed (due to a stiff or stretched diaphragm) -- THATS when them durn stock petcocks really do drive us all crazy.  

We don't really have a workable reliable flow test worked out for the durn thing yet.  

And insufficient gas flow to the engine at various speeds (low float gas level) makes you think a lot of different things could mebbe be wrong ....

"oh my jetting is off, I need bigger jets"
"oh my exhaust joint/gasket is leaking"
"oh my intake boot has a crack in it"

Be patient -- you'll get there.

Interesting factoid -- vacuum suction to the diaphragm drops when you approach full engine speeds.

When vacuum levels drop, a weak petcock flows less gas
(at exactly the same time your engine needs the maximum gas flow).

"oh my bike stumbles at full speed"
"oh my bike falters when accelerating"
"oh my bike runs out of gas all the time on the beltway and I have to go to reserve"
"oh my bike is backfiring and popping like mad all the time now"

Lastly, when you run your bowl real real low due to poor inbound gas flow, it tends to stick in the low position (jams the needle valve).  This will drive you completely crazy too.

Simplify your life proactively -- jest yank the unreliable stock petcock and get you a Raptor.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/03/10 at 03:46:54

99savage wrote on 10/02/10 at 20:11:14:
I just came in from the garage. I have a stock of seafoam I use for my Vulcan, so I disconnected the supply line from the carb, drained the bowl, and poured seafoam into the supply nipple on the carb using a section of fuel line and a tiny funnel until it wouldn't hold anymore. Then I added about 1/3 of a can of seafoam to the tank which was about 1/2 full of gas. After reconnecting the supply line, I'll let it sit till morning and see how it does, I'll update.

You do have to let it run a while with the Sea Foam in it to get in the carb and clean it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/03/10 at 04:14:46

Straight seafoam pumped straight into the float bowl?

Followed by 1/3 of a can of seafoam into 1 1/2 gallons of gasoline?

Seafoam ingredients:

Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), pale oil, and naptha.

(read that as alcohol, benzine and kerosene and you won't be far off the mark)

She ain't gonna want to crank at first (straight seafoam is an alcohol and naptha/light oil based substance) and she ain't gonna run worth beans once you do get it to start as you have so much seafoam in your system now the plug will likely oil foul the gap fairly quickly.

And smoke, lordy yes !!!!

You done listened to Bill ....   you'll learn better about that

Do tell us what happens .... ya done got us all curious now

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 10/03/10 at 04:53:27

After all of the below, the fact still remains,........
If "prime" doesn't fix it, the petcock is not the problem.

The other fact that remains,..... If the engine runs good at hi speed... under WOT condition, you can be assured that there is nothing wrong w/ the vacuum operated petcock,.......period.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/03/10 at 01:34:55:

What's sad on the stock petcock tests is they only test if it really shuts off or not.   That's all they can test for.

What drives us crazy is when it shuts off OK, but it just doesn't flow enough gasoline to keep up with the engine useage at speed (due to a stiff or stretched diaphragm) -- THATS when them durn stock petcocks really do drive us all crazy.  

We don't really have a workable reliable flow test worked out for the durn thing yet.  

And insufficient gas flow to the engine at various speeds (low float gas level) makes you think a lot of different things could mebbe be wrong ....

"oh my jetting is off, I need bigger jets"
"oh my exhaust joint/gasket is leaking"
"oh my intake boot has a crack in it"

Be patient -- you'll get there.

Interesting factoid -- vacuum suction to the diaphragm drops when you approach full engine speeds.

When vacuum levels drop, a weak petcock flows less gas
(at exactly the same time your engine needs the maximum gas flow).

"oh my bike stumbles at full speed"
"oh my bike falters when accelerating"
"oh my bike runs out of gas all the time on the beltway and I have to go to reserve"
"oh my bike is backfiring and popping like mad all the time now"

Lastly, when you run your bowl real real low due to poor inbound gas flow, it tends to stick in the low position (jams the needle valve).  This will drive you completely crazy too.

Simplify your life proactively -- jest yank the unreliable stock petcock and get you a Raptor.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 21:51:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding problem? Or something else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.