Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
have a slight issue i need help with (Read 300 times)
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

have a slight issue i need help with
10/01/10 at 16:07:16

heres my situation. the savage ran good till i ganked into the throttle and then missed 2nd gear. it started popping and backfiring and now it won't stay running. i got it to run for about a half mile, then it died. it acts like its not getting fuel. i turned the petcock to prime and tried running that way and it got me almost home. after a minute it fired back up and got me in front of my house. here are the things i have done to the bike. tank off and cleaned. carb off and cleaned. in-line filter. air mixture is out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns. valves were adjusted a few days ago. decomp piston was adjusted at the same time. have installed a sportster drag pipe but didn't rejet yet because it ran fine and eliminated the previous backfiring that i had. still have stock air box on it. any help or advice into the right direction on how to fix or what to fix is greatly appreciated

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: have a slight issue i need help with
Reply #1 - 10/01/10 at 16:08:11

oh by the way its an 86 savage

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/01/10 at 16:13:48

ohio thumper wrote on 10/01/10 at 16:07:16:
ran good till i ganked into the throttle and then missed 2nd gear.

That might not be slight....  I'd start with a compression check...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 10/01/10 at 16:19:50

Sounds like you blew the motor.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/01/10 at 16:53:16

I'll bet it won't even go into 5th gear. Those 86s had a serious problem with that.

Have you tested to see how far it will compress a lung full of air?
Put a screw driver into the sparkplug bootie and held it while you try the starter?
One test will tell you if the upper end is damaged, the other will tell you if there is any spark.
If both these test out OK then it is the fuel or crabulator at fault.
 Diagnosis is simple, just eliminate all possibilities until you find the one that won't eliminate. It is the guilty one.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/01/10 at 17:16:07

Phelonius wrote on 10/01/10 at 16:53:16:
Put a screw driver into the sparkplug bootie and held it while you try the starter?
Phelonius

Phelo,  what are you doing?...   This guy's already having a bad day...  you gonna' shock the sh!t out of him?... Shocked...
... only Phelo checks for spark that way, 'cause he's got no feeling in his extremities anymore.... Shocked...

I'd say check for compression first,.. if you don't have a checker, just pull the plug and hold your finger over the hole while you crank, and feel for pressure...
Then put the sparkplug into the plug wire and rest the tip of it on the engine fins, crank and see if you see spark (it probably won't show very bright)...
... if you have both of those,... breathe a sigh of relief and get back to us...  Wink...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/01/10 at 17:33:39

OK, assuming you did all this stuff prior to the problem and it ran good for a while before this...

How many miles on the bike?
Have you ever checked the cam chain?

go with the basics, fuel, air and fire.

Fuel, open the drain on the bottom of the carb and see what comes out.  Water would be a problem, so have a small bowl ready to catch what's there.  It should stop at about 4 oz. then go to prime and you should get more.  If it don't could be a stuck float, take a screwdriver, use the handle to tap on the bowl.

Air, not much to check, clean air filter is all, or dead cats in the airbox.  That would be a problem.  

spark, take the sparkplug out or use a spare, plug it in and hold it against the head, you should get a nice blue spark between the teeth if you place your hand on the engine.  yes I would concider using insulated pliers.

Also, if the battery is weak and drops bellow 10v while cranking, it's not going to start.

(Yeah I did just copy and paste what I wrote last week, hey it was good stuff and he found the trouble right away)

WWW   IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/01/10 at 17:41:47

Did he just say "Dead Cats"?

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/01/10 at 18:20:00

No shock , no fun. Besides, he might get a charge out of it.

phelonius Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/01/10 at 19:21:53

It's gonna be a long long winter if we are already getting bored and strange acting ....

Huh

The boys are hoping you haven't munched your cam chain tensioner and slipped your cam timing due to the resulting slop in the cam chain.

They are getting you to check all the "other" stuff first, as slipping time is very rare (durn near non-existant) -- as is bending the valves due to excessive float.

More likely your wonky stock vacuum actuated petcock has done gave out on you but it is gonna take them like 16 zillion tests removing all other items to get down that far ....

Grin    Grin

(you did say it ran better in prime and got you home, right?   And it is acting like it isn't getting enough gas?)

I've gotten funny about mystery bad performance stuff -- jest go ahead and replace your stock petcock with a Raptor and then tell us what the symptoms are after doing that.

A bad petcock mocks so many different strange things that it muddies the water so badly we can waste weeks of your time and our time "helping" you chase non-existent butterflies.

And its not like you won't wind up going there anyway ....  eventually.

note -- you are not the first person who "cooked" his motor due to overheating or "blew it up" due to over-revving that wound up jest having a bad petcock diaphragm.

Now, so you can feel better about the accidental over-revving -- the Savage engine can take a lot more of it than you would believe possible.

I know one guy who routinely revvs his up until the valves float in second and in third gear -- he did it again today as a matter of fact.   He wangs his bike harder than you did with your missed shift, he does it ROUTINELY and the bike survives jest fine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/01/10 at 19:32:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/01/10 at 19:21:53:
The boys are hoping you haven't munched your cam chain tensioner and slipped your cam timing due to the resulting slop in the cam chain.

I knew I was thinking something.... Huh...

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/03/10 at 12:01:25

i have compression, just don't know how much. the bike has 14750 miles on it. going for the raptor petcock. its starting to get cold here anyways so i guess its time to start it for a winter project. oh and it did start again just backfiring alot. goin thru carb again and drilling the jets. thanks for the advice everyone, im sure i will have more questions as time goes by.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/03/10 at 13:14:25

pop the right side cover off asap and check your cam chain and tensioner just to be sure. You'll probably need a new chain and/or verslagen's modified tensioner with your mileage. Do not start it again until you've checked the chain/tensioner. If the chain did jump time you might have gotten "lucky" and maybe it only jumped one tooth. Maybe not enough to crunch the engine but it would be enough to screw the timing up and make it backfire alot or generally run like crap. If that's the case then its only a matter of time before you ruin the engine if you keep running it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/04/10 at 01:56:45

I wouldnt hit the start button again, till I knew the cam chain was okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/04/10 at 05:30:04

i have it torn down, so there is no firing it up. getting ready to take clutch cover off to look at cam chain and tensioner. they looked fine when i had it apart 2 weeks ago but it could be a different story now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › have a slight issue i need help with

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.