Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Reflective wheel tape
Reply #15 - 10/02/10 at 08:22:43

einheit13 wrote on 10/02/10 at 07:52:04:
LANCER wrote on 10/01/10 at 04:05:11:
A POCKET FULL OF BB'S JUST TOSSED INTO THE AIR WOULD SPRINKLE ALL OVER THE WINDSHIELD OF THE TAILGATING CAR RIDING YOUR A$$ AND WOULD DEFINITELY GET THEIR ATTENTION

THEY MAY NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE OR WHERE IT CAME FROM BUT IT WOULD GET THEIR ATTENTION AND CAUSE THEM TO BACK OFF...AT LEST FOR A LITTLE WHILE

I keep small nuts and bolts in my pockets for the same reason.

Roll Eyes sorry  Grin

Now it's been said, I believe second hand from a cop, that small hardware was the way to go.  And I would find it hard to dig into my pockets with gloves on and with granny on my tail.  Put some super magnets on top of the handlebar clamp bolts and load them up with small sh!t.  And when you need to, pinch some off and toss over your shoulder like spilt salt.

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/02/10 at 08:37:09

kimchris1 wrote on 09/30/10 at 08:19:12:
Looks nice when the light hits it yes.. I have a solid black modular helmet now.
I am planning on placing some reflective tape on it for night riding. Smiley kim

I put 3M reflective tape on the back of the wife's helmet, (gray tape 1.5 inch wide). I made a "*" about six inches across. from 100yds it is as bright as a headlight. The constant head movement as she is checking her mirrors and her six makes it hard to ignore.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/02/10 at 08:41:12

verslagen1 wrote on 10/02/10 at 08:22:43:
einheit13 wrote on 10/02/10 at 07:52:04:
LANCER wrote on 10/01/10 at 04:05:11:
A POCKET FULL OF BB'S JUST TOSSED INTO THE AIR WOULD SPRINKLE ALL OVER THE WINDSHIELD OF THE TAILGATING CAR RIDING YOUR A$$ AND WOULD DEFINITELY GET THEIR ATTENTION

THEY MAY NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE OR WHERE IT CAME FROM BUT IT WOULD GET THEIR ATTENTION AND CAUSE THEM TO BACK OFF...AT LEST FOR A LITTLE WHILE

I keep small nuts and bolts in my pockets for the same reason.

Roll Eyes sorry  Grin

Now it's been said, I believe second hand from a cop, that small hardware was the way to go.  And I would find it hard to dig into my pockets with gloves on and with granny on my tail.  Put some super magnets on top of the handlebar clamp bolts and load them up with small sh!t.  And when you need to, pinch some off and toss over your shoulder like spilt salt.

Now you know why motorcycle get run over sometimes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #18 - 10/02/10 at 09:11:05

ralfyguy wrote on 10/02/10 at 06:30:11:
It says for 17" and 18" rims. How did you get 15" for the rear and 19" for the front?
Oh and could you take a close up picture from the rear rim to see how it's mounted?

I sent him a message with my rim sizes, and he custom made them.  Here are some pics:

Rear:

Front:

Rear:

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 10/02/10 at 09:13:09

It says for 17" and 18" rims. How did you get 15" for the rear and 19" for the front?
Oh and could you take a close up picture from the rear rim to see how it's mounted?

Had one piece of paper on with five tapes; use sissors to cut the paper into five rolls.  Each tape is long enough to do a 19" rim, a 15" rim leaves you some left for taping your helmet to match.  A fifth tape is for you screw up the first wheel -- it is not easy to keep the tape on the edge of the rim.

WWW   IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #20 - 10/02/10 at 10:29:01

Paladin. wrote on 10/02/10 at 09:13:09:

Had one piece of paper on with five tapes; use sissors to cut the paper into five rolls.  Each tape is long enough to do a 19" rim, a 15" rim leaves you some left for taping your helmet to match.  A fifth tape is for you screw up the first wheel -- it is not easy to keep the tape on the edge of the rim.

Yep that would work.  The 15" on my rear was actually too long, and I had to trim them, and oddly the 19" on my front weren't long enough!    The strips are small and thin, so make sure you use plenty of soapy water, and install them in the shade.

Jive

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 10/02/10 at 14:35:42

Thanks Jive and Paladin. The pics are awesome. Now I have not the slightest clue how stuff like this is mounted. So it doesn't come in a circle? It just comes as a roll? How do you get it nice and round around the rim and what is the soapy water for? How do you get it not to wobble when the wheel turns?

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #22 - 10/02/10 at 14:55:58

ralfyguy wrote on 10/02/10 at 14:35:42:
Thanks Jive and Paladin. The pics are awesome. Now I have not the slightest clue how stuff like this is mounted. So it doesn't come in a circle? It just comes as a roll? How do you get it nice and round around the rim and what is the soapy water for? How do you get it not to wobble when the wheel turns?

Mine came on a sheet, with the vinyl decals in a arc shape, I think Paladin's was just straight strips. You have 4 decals per wheel (4 arcs).  Check that eBay link I posted to see them near the bottom of the page.

What I did, is take some dishwashing soap, water  and a paper towell, and lather up the rim untill it's soaked.  Then peel one of the rim stripe arcs off, and dunk it in the soapy water untill it is wet.  With the decal itself wet, it will not stick to itself, which makes it easier to handle. The soapy water on the rim allows you to place the decal on the rim, and slide it around to get it positioned well.  After you do all 4, just let it dry in the sun, and you are done.

BTW, using soap/water is how most sign/decal shops apply the decals.  Especially with larger vinyl decals, it really makes it easier, and you don't have to worry about wrinkles.

Jive

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #23 - 10/02/10 at 14:56:45

Clean the rim, dirty rim will not stick.

Wheel off the ground and capable of rotation.  I used dry-erase marker as it rotated to leave a smooth line.  Start the end of the tape on the paper, about four inches from the paper, start to the rim just touching the line.  The tape stretches, not enough to thin, just enough to stretch the edge of the tape to curve onto the rim.  Go slow, inch by inch, the slowly to be closer to the line.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #24 - 10/02/10 at 15:02:12

Jive--FSO wrote on 10/02/10 at 14:55:58:
Mine came on a sheet, with the vinyl decals in a arc shape, so you have 4 decals per wheel. ....

This is not the same as my $25 http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html tape.

WWW   IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #25 - 10/02/10 at 15:10:38

Paladin. wrote on 10/02/10 at 14:56:45:
Clean the rim, dirty rim will not stick.

Wheel off the ground and capable of rotation.  I used dry-erase marker as it rotated to leave a smooth line.  Start the end of the tape on the paper, about four inches from the paper, start to the rim just touching the line.  The tape stretches, not enough to thin, just enough to stretch the edge of the tape to curve onto the rim.  Go slow, inch by inch, the slowly to be closer to the line.

That would work well too.  I never thought or rotating the rim!

Jive

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 10/02/10 at 15:14:26

Thanks guys, doesn't sound too hard to do.  Smiley
Jive what width did you choose?

I'm thinking about red on my black bike.

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #27 - 10/02/10 at 16:07:58

I think mine was the standard 9mm width.  As you can see on my pics, I still have a lot of room and could've went a bit bigger.

If you want the reflective red, make sure to mention it.  He sells a ton of non-reflective colors as well.

Jive

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 16:35:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reflective wheel tape

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.