Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No Clutch (Read 234 times)
gobnaitt
Ex Member

No Clutch
09/15/10 at 19:22:45

Hi everyone! I'm new but have been lurking for several years. Today, I had to call the tow truck however and so I thought it's time to register.

I've got an 03 Savage, stock apart from the usual carb adjustment. I've got 14,00 km on it.

I went to shift and there was no clutch. The handle was floppy.
It was a sudden thing and it all seemed fine before that.
The cable isn't broken but the arm (I'm not sure of the official name) on the outside has no tension at all and can be lifted up and down.

Any ideas? I had it towed home since I'm hoping I or myself with assistance from someone more mechanically inclined can fix it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No Clutch
Reply #1 - 09/15/10 at 19:29:47

simple, your clutch cam is busted.  take you an hour to fix.  make sure you find all the parts.  happened to me last year.  maybe caused by clutch lever being out of range.  there's 2 marks on the case behind the clutch lever, and it's supposed to be in between.

check your cam chain adjuster while you're there.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/15/10 at 19:46:55

When mine busted,the slap it put on the cam chain guide busted the guide. Look where the clutch actuator passes thru the case.If its weepy & theres oil there, replace the Oring. Watch the loop the clutch cable goes into as it goes together. If its hanging down, itll be a hassleto get it back up after the bolts are in.
This is a DIY project. The labor youll pay for will more than pay for tools for the job. Easy little job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/15/10 at 19:58:06

Thanks a lot! I'll sleep better tonight. I hate that my baby is broken. I've had her since new after all.

It sounds like I'll be able to fix it with some male supervision. I'm a female rider but I like to look after my Savage myself for the most part. I won't have time to open it up until next week (and it's going to rain anyway) but at least I'll have time to ride yet this fall.

This forum is great and I'm looking forward to being an active participant.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/15/10 at 22:15:08

ontario? where?

WWW   IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/16/10 at 15:39:01

KW area

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/19/10 at 08:09:16

Well, its Sunday. What have you found?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/24/10 at 13:05:30

Well it's friday and we finally took it apart. The clutch cam was broken in half.
I think the clutch lever was out of range because it seems above the notches on the case.
So I've ordered one from the dealer , as well as the o ring and cotter pin (just in case it breaks). The gasket is looking good.
So it will be another week before we'll have the parts and the time to fix it.
We also measured the cam chain adjuster and it's 15mm. So it's still ok for a while.

Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/02/10 at 06:26:45

The job was a lot longer than an hour for a first timer ... but it wasn't difficult at all and now I'll know how to get in there for next time.  The clutch cable needed a bit of adjustment but not too much.

And I'm back on the road!! All my stress disappeared when I got out there. No wonder the winter feels so long.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 10/02/10 at 15:23:41

You could put a front knobby and a studded rear on it for winter.... add some outriggers...

Harley Davidson actually used to sell a kit for the 45 inch flathead that came with a front SKI, outriggers and a studded/logging chain wrapped rear wheel assembly.

It worked, used to own one. Who says you can't ride in the winter?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:17:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.