Send Topic Print
crossover parts (Read 312 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: crossover parts
Reply #15 - 10/02/10 at 18:14:09

I've been measuring the front end of my Savage against my VS800 Intruder.  Looks like it should fit.  The steering bearings, dust cover and top nut are the same Suzuki part numbers on both bikes.  The top and bottom triple tree clamps appear to be the same distance apart.  But the 800 fork is 3/4" longer.  That would give me heavier duty forks, bigger brake, speedometer mounted on triple tree in front of handle bars with a front wheel sending unit, and same size wheel and tire with a slightly sleeker fender.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #16 - 10/03/10 at 10:32:43

Jef:

Back in the day when I used to watch my friends build choppers in their living room---we used to just try stuff  to see what worked. It's an educated guess but your idea sounds like it would work; 3/4" is not enough change to affect the steering geomentry---but the lean angle may change. I'm looking for cast wheels, front and back; I would also like disc brakes on the rear---that's a lot of cuttin' and fittin'---but winters are long here. Now all I have to do is find a 2 bedroom apt with tool storage--you can guess what the 2nd B room is for.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 10/03/10 at 10:33:25

Intruder uses 89/90-21 front, Savage a 100/90-19. Intruder axle has a tendency to rip out the threads in the lower leg it screws into. Both front brake set-ups are jokes, but the Intruder less of one. Changing handlebar on a stock Intruder sucks, you will need to modify the riser set, the factory bars are slotted, the risers tabbed to lock the bars into one position.

Other than that, go for it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/03/10 at 11:05:29

wingsout wrote on 10/03/10 at 10:32:43:
I'm looking for cast wheels, front and back;
I would also like disc brakes on the rear...

The GS450 has a 19" front and the disk is the same thickness, just cut down the diameter a bit to fit the savage caliper.  Add spacers to suit.
The rear is a direct swap.
I haven't found any with the same cush drive and disk mounts.  Most with disk are shaft drive.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 22:01:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › crossover parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.