Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Driven Pulley Bearing (Read 217 times)
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Re: Driven Pulley Bearing
Reply #15 - 10/05/10 at 06:42:13

Got the job done this past weekend. Noticed slight wear in both the rubber cushions in the hub and the bearing in the driven pulley. The combination allowed some wobble with torque. Replaced the cushions and the bearing in the driven pulley. After reassembly, there was no wobble or play.
As to the grease, noticed that the original stock cushions did have a thin film of what appeared to be a lithium type grease (white), but didn't see any significant debris stuck to the cushions or in the hub.
After getting it all put back together, (did rear brakes at the same time) seem to be less vibration with engine pulses.
FYI - Bike is an '02 with 12K miles on it. Gets ridden in all types of weather. Now on 3rd rear tire. Second had early replacement due to screw tearing the tire at the sidewall junction to the tread.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 10/20/10 at 20:27:45

Charon wrote on 09/26/10 at 20:37:52:
I don't think I would want to use any grease on those rubber dampers, because grease might collect dirt and turn abrasive. I'd use a silicone spray, graphite, talc, mica, or something else dry. They aren't supposed to move, anyway. They compress or relax to smooth engine power pulses.

By the way, chain drive bikes use them, too, and for the same reason.

I agree that a dry lube would be better.

I used this stuff:

http://www.crcindustries.com/hd/content/prod_detail.aspx?S=Y&PN=03084

on the rubber cush drive inserts in the rear hub of my ST1100.  I've not yet had it back apart, so I don't know how it is working.

Seemed like a good idea, though.  This moly spray goes on like a tough coat of paint.  The web site specifically says it is good for conveyor belts and rubber moldings, among other things.

Might be worth a shot on our bikes.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/20/10 at 20:38:46

When I put the tire on I took the old cush drive out & shimmed it snug with strips of inner tube.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 23:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Driven Pulley Bearing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.