Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Christine O'Donnell
Reply #121 - 10/01/10 at 15:20:41

LA -

Wow, I made enough typos in that last post.  Glad I don't have to earn a living as a secretary - I'd starve.

I am a little harsh about airline deregulation.  I could go on for pages about it, as aviation is dear to my heart and soul, as I've been in the industry since college.

Dereg did lower fares, but so did a lot of other factors too.

Historically, jet engines are real fuel guzzlers compared to piston engines.  In the 1970s and early 80s, most airliners burned fuel by the buckets.  The old DC-9, Boeing 727, L-1011, early 747and DC-8 airplanes that made up the lion's share of the fleet were very inefficient.  When the first Arab oil embargo hit in the early 1970s, and fuel prices went thru the roof, the airline industry was caught flat footed.  Operational costs of those old airplanes tripled overnight.

So fares were allowed, by the Civil Aeronautics Board, the old regulatory agency, to go sky high to compensate.  Airline travel became very expensive.

Dereg was seen as a way to end the subsidy I mentioned where travelers on profitable routes were carrying the costs of those very unprofitable routes to small cities.  I recall 100 seat 727s in those days with 20 people on board going to small cities.

As a new generation of airliners were designed and built to be far more fuel efficient, costs came down some.  So the political winds demanded that these regulated, high fares be able to float in the world of dereg.  That worked.  Suddenly you saw the emergence of carriers like Southwest, Air Tran, Muse, Peoples Express, and others who cherry picked profitable routes away from the old majors like United and TWA, and set fares as they pleased, under cutting the old majors.

The only way the old carriers could compete was to eliminate the frills we used to have - hot meals in coach class, flight attendants who really cared if you were comfortable, etc.  And, to eliminate flying those unprofitable routes to smaller markets.

So now we have a system where all people want is transportation at the lowest possible cost.  Not bad for the economy and for passengers in general - grandma can now afford to fly across the country to see her kids and grandkids at Christmas, when she could not afford such a trip before dereg.

The casualties were the employees of the old major airlines, as baggage handlers, flight attendants, mechanics and especially pilots had to give up their very cushy pay scales to enable their companies to compete with the new upstarts who were paying far less for labor.  At this point in history, there was a pilot glut, as most of the large numbers of Vietnam era military pilots were getting out of the service and looking for airline jobs.  

Also, all of the old airplanes I mentioned earlier had 3 person flight crews - a captain, a first officer, and a flight engineer.  The new generation of modern airplanes cut that down to just 2 pilots; eliminating the FE position.  Even a brand new 747, carrying nearly 500 passengers, has only 2 people up front.

What else happened was the emergence of a whole new class of airline - the regional commuter.  I won't begin to take your time going into that now, except to say - look at their abysmal safety record.  Literally, 25 year old pilots with 1500 hours total time are sitting in the front seat.

Of course, when I was 25, I was the hottest pilot in my squadron <g>.  But I was in the airplane with just a back seater, so I could only kill the two of us, not 100 passengers.  Thankfully, in 45 years of flying, I've never put a scratch on an airplane.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #122 - 10/01/10 at 17:03:31

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 10/01/10 at 06:00:11:
Liftre -

As for the air traffic controller situation, the strike was ILLEGAL under the Federal laws of 1981.  

Hey Dad was civil service for 35 years and I know about the NO strike previsions... but those people were not striking for higher wages, they were striking for more help and a new Air Traffic Control system. They were fired because they were whistle blowers.
Oh!...by the way, Harris Corp. in Melbourne FL rolled out the "new" air traffic control system thee years later.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #123 - 10/02/10 at 09:08:00

That is correct.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #124 - 10/03/10 at 05:52:17

but those people were not striking for higher wages, they were striking for more help and a new Air Traffic Control system. They were fired because they were whistle blowers.

I remember the big hoopla, but what I dont remember is what we were Told the strike was about. I sure didnt remember it being over safety. But, I know I miss a few.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #125 - 10/05/10 at 17:32:37

And too, the controllers were saddled with way too much mandatory overtime. It was unsafe.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #126 - 10/13/10 at 18:32:38

I watch the debate to night I thought she was pretty good,She wasn't born rich like Coon was,that what we need some common people to the run the country.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #127 - 10/13/10 at 19:11:17

... I'd vote for ya' Bill... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #128 - 10/18/10 at 18:36:30

Well, getting back to Christine O'Donnell, what a fool she made of herself in that so called debate. One example of her stupidity was her statement:

"Evolution should be decided on the local community."

...ha ha, I think she has a point - we should also allow local communities to decide how much 2 + 2 is, and each community can also decide at which temperature water boils and freezes.

...sheesh.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #129 - 10/19/10 at 03:17:56

I new a guy who didn't know how many states were in the union,And he became president of the USA.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #130 - 10/19/10 at 08:44:45

Starlifter wrote on 10/18/10 at 18:36:30:
Well, getting back to Christine O'Donnell, what a fool she made of herself in that so called debate. One example of her stupidity was her statement:

"Evolution should be decided on the local community."

...ha ha, I think she has a point - we should also allow local communities to decide how much 2 + 2 is, and each community can also decide at which temperature water boils and freezes.

...sheesh.

Somehow, Im thinking she wasnt saying that whether or not evolution is actually real or not should be determioned locally, but whether or not to teach that should be a local decision, like all other curricula, should be determined by the locals, not the feds..

sheesh,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #131 - 10/19/10 at 09:30:37

Serowbot wrote on 10/13/10 at 19:11:17:
... I'd vote for ya' Bill... Wink...

I would too,but Bill is just not common enough.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #132 - 10/19/10 at 17:59:14

"Somehow, Im thinking she wasnt saying that whether or not evolution is actually real or not should be determioned locally, but whether or not to teach that should be a local decision, like all other curricula, should be determined by the locals, not the feds.."

Umm, well okay then, so we should allow local communities to TEACH how much 2 + 2 is, and each local community can also TEACH at which temperature water boils and freezes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #133 - 10/19/10 at 18:17:01

Excuse me? You just cant handle being wrong, can you? Youre gonna try to turn it into something else to try to pretend you were right all along, well, You WERENT, so go pout & get over it.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #134 - 10/20/10 at 12:47:32

Evolution should be taught by every school,in every State, never mind what the local hicks say,teach it because it's better to teach facts than myths.
And as for you Jog,stop calling the kettle black,you are very rarely right ,and you pout like a child when you are wrong, and that is very often.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:35:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Christine O'Donnell

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.