Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Standard versus Cruiser (Read 461 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Standard versus Cruiser
09/17/10 at 12:36:15

I notice that there were quite a few posts on the topic that I started about Metzlers versus Dunlops, that had to do with avoiding the jars of bumps on the road.  Rather than highjacking that topic, I decided to start a new one.

I love my savage, but there isn't a day goes by, usually while I am riding, that I don't wish that is was a standard, rather than a cruiser. When it comes to bumps, I really miss the ability to simply post over bad patches of road.  My thighs are much better at absorbing shock than any pair of Progressives, or even a sprung seat, and way better than my spine or neck.  That is one reason that I am always looking for a way to install mid-controls on my bike.  I have seen some pics, but they never show the gearshift side, or the mount points.

I know that there are a lot of bobber fans on the site, but are there any other fans of the standard riding position?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Standard versus Cruiser
Reply #1 - 09/17/10 at 12:58:17

I am (or maybe my back is) a fan of a riding position between a standard and a sport . My lower back might be OK with the sport, but for long rides, the rest of me ain't. (For the record, I don't consider my ST to have a sport position - I'm talking gixxer-like position when I say sport).

None of me is a fan of the cruiser. My back hurts after short rides on a cruiser (anything more than an hour), and there are times (not just for rough roads) that I want to put more weight on the pegs without having to pull myself forward with the bars.

When I get on a cruiser, it feels like I don't have near the control I have on a standard, sport, or touring bike. I guess there's probably a reason that there aren't people running against the sport bikes on cruisers in the road races. I just can't see them hanging off one side and then snapping to the other in the slaloms on cruisers - might be funny to watch though. Might have something to do with clearances also.  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/17/10 at 13:14:52

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/17/10 at 13:53:58

I can pullmyself up pretty easliy. Beats hekk outta takin the beating of a big bump while seated, but the standard position sure would be better.

Ever think of what it must be like on a hard tail & a cruiser setup? Picture Orange Choppers, hands over feet, but "Waaaay back yonnder".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #4 - 09/17/10 at 17:36:46

Count me among those who can't take the cruiser riding position. There are only two option as I see it, if I want to keep riding a street-worthy big single cylinder motorcycle:

The first option will cost $3,000 and the second, assuming I can get $1,000 for a 1996 Savage with 16K miles, will cost $6,000.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 09/17/10 at 18:17:10

I really like that kit, a slight few things I would change but it makes me want to get a 2nd S40(savage) so I can do it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 09/17/10 at 18:44:45

Verslagen,

Thanks for the link.  I had already read and saved that thread.  In fact, I contacted the company and asked them if that bracket could be used for mid controls, but never heard back from them.  

The issue for me is that their bike is a cafe racer, and those are rearsets.  That puts them four to five inches farther back than mid controls.  They work great for racing, but they are a little too cramped for my 64 year old body, especially after the first half hour or so of riding.  This is why even the 18 year old squids never seen to put very many miles on their hot bikes.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 09/17/10 at 19:25:34

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/17/10 at 12:36:15:
...usually while I am riding, that I don't wish that is was a standard, rather than a cruiser...

http://savage.andruschak.net/tempter/ and more.

As far as I know, the Suzuki 400 Tempter is only produced in Japan.  It is found elsewhere in the grey market.  The factory frame exists.  The motor works, and as far as I know is a bolt swap between the 400 and the 650.

Back in '04, when I was becoming a retread, I wanted a 400-500cc motorcycle.  I did not want a FUgly tail sky high "sport".  Didn't want a front drum, the Honda 250 Nighthawk.  I need a ladder to mount a dual sport.  Only available were cruisers.  With a hundred pounds or two of excess iron.  Was picking between the Yamaha V-twin and the Suzuki little single when I saw a Savage -- only 50 pounds over the 250s.

But really, the motorcycle I would want is either a 400 Tempter or 650 Tempter.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 09/17/10 at 20:49:37

Add my 64 yr olde body to the list of ones that would like a standard rather than cruiser position. Cheesy

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/17/10 at 21:30:19

thinking my next bike will be a ninja 250 or if I can find a good deal on a triumph bonneville nue skool  that'd be cool too, I definitely want to explore the standard position more

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/17/10 at 21:56:22

well i vote for versy's even though it's a parallel twin.

WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #11 - 09/17/10 at 22:54:02

I prefer standard position too.  Suzuki's TU250 looks great except it needs at least 2x the displacement.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/17/10 at 23:18:31

verslagen1 wrote on 09/17/10 at 21:56:22:
well i vote for versy's even though it's a parallel twin.

... are you voting for yourself, again?... Grin...

I'm seriously tempted by that Tempter's gas tank... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 09/18/10 at 01:33:59

When I first got into motorcycles back in '02, I thought that for someone in their early 40's, Cruisers were the only option ... I thought that that was the "look" of a motorcycle ... Sportbikes were for squids, UJM's were dusty derelects from a by-gone era and Dualies were for those who liked to play in the mud ... a Cruiser was a "proper" motortorcycle ... so, that's where I went ... 1st with an '85 Honda Rebel and then to an '03 Savage ... followed by an '06 S50 and then an '05 S40 ... in 2008, I became a Motorcycle Training Instructor and had the opportunity to Ride a wide variety of different types of smaller displacement motorcycles ... it was a Bike from our training fleet that opened my eyes; a Brazilian-spec Honda Titan CG150 ... a Standard. Man that thing was comfortable (esp. on my deteriorated lower back) and handled waaaaay better than any Cruiser I'd Ridden up to that point! Spending time on that Bike improved my Riding immeasurably! This past summer I spent a month Riding a Honda CBR125R ... a small Sportbike ... underpowered yes and somewhat uncomfortable (esp. on the wrists), but cornering ... unreal ... turns became telepathic! I loved Riding that thing in traffic around town! So, I've come to realize that while I still love the look of a Cruiser (and will always have a place in my heart for our beloved LS650), when it comes to Riding, they are not the be-all, end-all of motorcycles. Have had several good sits on the new-Gen Kawi Ninja 250R ... very Standard-like in it's ergonomics ... fits like a glove too! Very likely will be my next Bike!

Honda CG150 Titan

Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #14 - 09/18/10 at 05:47:42

Myself,I like the cruiser because it does put my legs farther out.With a 34-36" inseam it's hard for me to put my feet under me.Although I do agree with being able to stand up over bumps,control better.Clearance is a big issue on cornering with alot of cruisers.My Harley going through twisties in the mountains of Pa. the pipes and the primary cover are all ground down from dragging.
It is fun to freak people out though when they hear me dragging. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Standard versus Cruiser