Send Topic Print
Saddlebag Dimensions (Read 146 times)
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddlebag Dimensions
09/15/10 at 13:39:36

Hello all, looking for some advice regarding the size of your saddlebags. How big are they and where did you get them. There doesn't seem like much space to fit them. I am really just looking for a throw over pair to carry a few things here and there. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Saddlebag Dimensions
Reply #1 - 09/15/10 at 14:17:29

Mine are Leatherlyke lockable hard cases, about $440, but still looking after nearly 6 years.

One bag can carry:
a leather black jacket with a chess knight on the back, or
a 10 pounds potatos and 4 pounds of onions, or
two gallon jugs of milk, or
a 5 liter box of Vella White Zinfandel, or

WWW   IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/15/10 at 14:43:33

That's quite a collection if you combine some of the items you listed. I am looking at bags around this size: 13-14W 8-10H and 6D. What do you think, too big/small? What looks about right on the Savage?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/15/10 at 18:55:26

Do a search for "saddle bag" and "saddlebag".... be sure to change the drop-down from the default "week" to something longer.  You'll find lots of pictures/brands/descriptions.  Might find something you like.

Mine are Saddlemen Large Drifters.  I modified the buckle (posted a thread you can search for if you want) to make it a quick-release latch, much easier!  I bought them from DennisKirk.com although if I had to do over again, I think I'd go with the Medium, and probably slant too.  Saddlemen recommended the Large, but I think they are a bit big.  But they do carry alot!  My leather jacket, chaps, couple sweatshirts, plenty of grocery room.  I think they measure about 15 x 10-1/2 x 5-3/4.  
I also made a hard-mount bracket which I also detailed in another thread.
Here's how they look on the bike:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 09/15/10 at 20:17:21

The Leatherlyke are 7 1/2" wide x 11 1/2" deep x 18 1/2" long, about 18 quarts.
13-14W 8-10H and 6D would be about 7 - 9.5  quarts -- about half the capacity.

On the other hand, you don't need to relocate the turn signals.

WWW   IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/15/10 at 20:35:33

Mine are Talisman Leather - despite not being leather... I have the Classic with conchos and they fit great. Big enough for my lunch for work in one and rain gear and maps in the other.  I put them under the seat but they could be throwover also.

I got them at a local bike shop.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 09/15/10 at 22:22:47

SS65297,
You can find bags everywhere on the net, but I took my OEM Suzuki bags off. I really prefer a bare bike, but I do like the way BabyHog's bags fit her bike. They are also wide enough to give her bike a more substantial look.  I have a square bag behind my sissy bar on a rack, and a roll bag on my forks. To travel very far I bungee down a $10 Wal Mart insulated bag. Also, Tractor supply has some nylon saddlebags for horses that hold a lot and sell for about $20. You would have to make brackets to hold them out of the wheel and take a stitch or two in the middle to make them hang as high as you need. Figure out what you want to carry and buy accordingly. Hope this helps.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/16/10 at 03:58:04

Thanks everyone, I did do a search and I think I had a brain fart, I didn't change the time function. I ended up going with some nice waterproof bags that look like leather. I will post pics once I get them on the bike.  Smiley

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #8 - 09/20/10 at 08:32:25

I have the smaller bags from Willie and Max............Just right for small items.(extra gloves, water bottles, extra shirt, etc.).  Just the size that goes with a 3/4 size bike.  Cost about 120.00 off the internet.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 09/20/10 at 10:23:59

Something to consider if you are just looking for something that you can easily put on and off your Savage for just a few things; a tank bag is really convenient. Some of them come with shoulder straps to convert to a backpack when you get off. If you are going for "the look" however, a tank bag on a Savage probably isn't it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag Dimensions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.