Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Standard versus Cruiser (Read 461 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Standard versus Cruiser
Reply #15 - 09/18/10 at 18:54:14

I need help. What is the "standard position"? I have a photo here my daughter made while passing me at 50 mph. The palm of my hand  directly over the top of my foot where it meets my ankle (Buckhorn Bars?) My foot is a little forward on the peg but not to the bootheel.  My butt is barely touching the pillion seat. I thought I was slouching because of my bad back, but I am actually sitting nearly straight up.  Feels OK. Is that standard? I haven't been on another bike in nearly thirty years, but the old Kawa H1 and H2s I ran seem to be about like this by my memory. Please explain with hand signals, smoke signals, and 8x10 glossys with circles and arrows explaining each. Thanks  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/18/10 at 19:04:19

On a standard your feet would be maybe a foot behind your hands.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 09/18/10 at 19:10:01

Thanks, I actually understood that.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/19/10 at 00:41:17

Standard seating is a 60s Brit bike. Have a look at a Kawasaki W650.
The old Honda 450 was a standard, as opposed to crotch rockets, got a fella leaned over, weight on the arms, or a cruiser , with the feet extended out front.

Standard position makes standing on the pegs a simple matter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #19 - 09/19/10 at 02:18:06

Standard - Triumph Bonneville (Kawasaki W650, Honda CB750, etc)

Cruiser - Suzuki M109 (H.D. Softail, Honda Fury, etc., etc.)

Sport - Yamaha R6 (Suzuki GSXR750, Honda CBR600R, etc.)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/19/10 at 04:38:20

We may now delete our posts explaining it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 09/19/10 at 17:11:44

How about a 654cc single standard that weighs about the same as an LS650 and makes twice the horsepower?  I give you the KTM Duke.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 09/19/10 at 18:54:05

Some may like the looks, for me it is FUgly with it's tail stuck up in the sky.  As long as I can have a simple motorcycle I do not want fuel injection with the cost a high pressure fuel pump.  Or the costs and problems of liquid, water pumps, leaks or corrosion.  But main problem with me for the Duke would be getting a step ladder to get up onto the 34 inch high saddle.

WWW   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #23 - 09/19/10 at 19:38:30

I am just wondering on what planet the Duke would be considered a "Standard" bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 09/19/10 at 20:02:58

planet motard

WWW   IP Logged
VA27
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 09/19/10 at 20:24:32

Put me in the standard column. The last bike I had was a '78 Yamaha SR500...new. I sold it in '81 (got married in '78 and babies started happening and I figured I'd better get off the road until they were grown and gone) and have been kicking myself ever since.

The wife and I did a 645 mile day on the SR once, but that was then. I don't think my 32-year-older back could even approach that on an S40!

Well, what's old is new again. Maybe one day the standard riding position will make a comeback. (I've still got wide paisley ties hanging in my closet!)

If the 650 Tempter showed up on the showroom floor tomorrow I'd be...Tempted.

I saw one of the Royal Enfield bikes last year. I thought it was a restoration until I talked to the owner. Great looking bike.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #26 - 09/19/10 at 22:46:21

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/19/10 at 19:38:30:
I am just wondering on what planet the Duke would be considered a "Standard" bike.

It's not a question of where it's a question of when.  In the 21st century "standard" bikes don't all look like Bonnies.

Obviously those who prefer mid-twentieth century bikes may find these unattractive but that doesn't change the upright riding position, mid-position controls, and relaxed handlebar height that makes them standards.  
And they're still a long way from being motards.

And as far as liquid cooling goes I'll gladly take the extra hassle for more than twice the hp!  I know these bikes won't turn heads the way my Savage does but if anyone out there has a Duke they want to trade for a Savage pm me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 09/19/10 at 23:55:30

verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/10 at 20:02:58:
planet motard

Grin Grin Grin....

... although,... I'd love a motard without the McDorckus plastic...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 09/20/10 at 00:52:40

Yup, no doubt about it, both the 'zuki Gladius and the Kawi Versys are "Standards" as far as Rider ergonomics go ... unfortunately though, the Versys has a stratospheric seat height for us inseam-challenged folk ... the Versys is a very popular mount up here on The Rock ... their owners are a loyal bunch who swear by the Bike's comfort and rideability; a good all-rounder.
A girlfriend of a pal's co-worker has a Gladius that has been lowered by an inch-and-a-half, have not seen it m'self, but would love to check that Bike out!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #29 - 09/20/10 at 01:03:40

Having ridden and owned standards, cruisers and sportbikes I feel I can honestly say to your question about which is best, YES.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:29:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Standard versus Cruiser

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.