Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Master Cylinder Sight Window (Read 552 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Master Cylinder Sight Window
Reply #15 - 09/19/10 at 21:06:29

Also, if your brake fluid is discolored at all... I'd replace it.

It is & youre welcome to. I accept your offer. Shall I PM you my address?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #16 - 09/19/10 at 22:31:47

verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/10 at 10:09:21:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/10 at 07:51:11:
If you're willing to lose the window, which I don't suggest, then Id say empty the res, clean the res around the window, silicone an O-ring on it & clamp a piece of metal to that O-ring. Man, talk about look like crap, but it should Work. I'd only consider that answer IF I was suck in the middle of nowhere & had to do that to get home.

Hmmm... that does sound like a plan.  Only I'd use a copper washer for the seal on the inside.  The head of the bolt also on the inside.  Then washer on the outside is just to protect the surface and support.  Maybe a chrome acorn nut if you intend to leave it.

Copper is a contaminant to brake fluid and besides,it's only 12 bucks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 09/20/10 at 00:22:39

a bike mechanic friend of mine, uses car engine freeze plugs to replace leaky windows....
...you can't see it after that, but it will never leak again... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #18 - 09/20/10 at 06:29:13

Lupo wrote on 09/19/10 at 22:31:47:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/10 at 10:09:21:
If you're willing to lose the window, which I don't suggest, then Id say empty the res, clean the res around the window, silicone an O-ring on it & clamp a piece of metal to that O-ring. Man, talk about look like crap, but it should Work. I'd only consider that answer IF I was suck in the middle of nowhere & had to do that to get home.

Hmmm... that does sound like a plan.  Only I'd use a copper washer for the seal on the inside.  The head of the bolt also on the inside.  Then washer on the outside is just to protect the surface and support.  Maybe a chrome acorn nut if you intend to leave it.

Copper is a contaminant to brake fluid and besides,it's only 12 bucks.

Funny, copper sealing washers are used on all brake line 'banjo' fittings, m/c & automotive. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #19 - 09/20/10 at 07:16:27

Don't shoot the messenger. I personally have Russell aluminum washers but only because that's what I bought. As I've read the copper leaches from the brake lines and changes the flash point of the fluid. Here's from an article:
What’s the Big Deal about Copper Anyway?

Recent government research** conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration confirmed that copper can form deposits around the sealing surfaces of ABS valves, which means your car may take longer to stop in a panic situation. Other research finds that copper levels in the brake fluid are the best indicators that the fluid's corrosion inhibitors are losing their punch and major corrosion is just around the corner. MAP puts the red-flag level of copper at 200 parts per million. Anything above, flush.

Fortunately, with FASCAR technology you can now test for signs of internal corrosion in Anti-Lock Braking Systems. Testing for water answers no questions whatsoever about the level of corrosion present in any brake system; it simply tells you the boiling point of brake fluid and remember there are no standards anywhere for changing brake fluid based on boiling point anyway.

Corrosion on the other hand can result in very expensive ABS replacement costs; quite possibly as expensive than replacing a vehicles engine

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 09/20/10 at 08:10:31

thanks for the info on copper, must be quite a contaminate, as only the edge of the seals touch the fluid.  Another reason to change the fluid every couple of years.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 09/20/10 at 20:05:16

Brake fluid is notoriously destructive to things. It eats paint & I cant imagine silicone ever holding it. Im gonna say youll need a new reservoir to solve this IF you want to keep that window. If youre willing to lose the window, which I dont suggest, then Id say empty the res, clean the res around the window, silicone an Oring on it & clamp a piece of metal to that Oring. Man, talk about look like crap,, but it should Work. Id only comsider that answer IF I was suck in the middleof nowhere & had to do that to get home.

JOG is right. If you think about it, most stuff is either a solid or something that oxidizes, etches, or otherwise screws up solids OR reacts with liquids to ruin them or change them to something you can't live with. Even metal is porous on the microscopic level. And most of these guys know that metal has a grain similar to wood. Versy, I need to change my fluid, but I'm too busy/lazy. WHY do you keep reminding me of that? STM I went over atoms and junk with my daughter the other night. It reminds me that everything is moving and changing whether we see it or not.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/20/10 at 20:27:43

Yep, clear epoxy is good stuff for sealing off a brake fluid compartment if it is allowed to set thoroughly before being introduced to the alcohol and glycol that make up the brake fluid.

Key important part to fixing a leaking window is to take the master cylinder off the bike, use brake parts cleaner (acetone) to spray out the window recess really well, then pour the window recess solid with slow setting two part epoxy plumb full up to the level of the side.  

If the sight glass were cracked up all that badly, I'd bust it out totally until I had a simple aluminum sided hole -- then I'd rough up the hole some with sandpaper and spray it all out with brake parts cleaner and let it dry good.  

Then I'd get some clear plastic packing tape and smoothly put a piece over the outside of the window hole such that it had no wrinkles, etc.  

Then from the inside I'd pour it slam full of slow set clear epoxy and lay it on its side so the pool was flush with the inner surface or maybe even went out a little bit on the inner surface.

When it was 48 hours hard, it would be a nice new plastic window glass that was thoroughly bonded to the aluminum shell.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
abotech
YaBB Newbies

A.T.G.A.T.T.- All
The Gear All The
Time

Reply #23 - 09/20/10 at 21:50:47

Hi friends,I'm going to jump in on this one.Bmw recommends you change the brake fluid once a year. It will make a difference how your bike stops. When the fluid starts turning dark , you have water in it. The master cylinder and caliper will start corroding inside and eventually it will gum up. I have replaced several sight glasses on atv's and various street bikes. I use clear silicone glue to hold the new glass in. The above post with a link for replacement lens is a great find. I'll be bookmarking that site.

IP Logged
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #24 - 09/21/10 at 13:51:41

Just spoke with Don at New River Motorcycle Salvage and ordered my repair kit ($15.00 total cost). I gave him the info I had and basic measurements of window and outer ring.
He let me know he also has records on several models, etc.
He was very helpful and said he would have it in the mail the next day!
Once I get the kit I will post some pics of the before and after installation for anyone who is also considering this fix.

My bike was honestly a beater when I bought it 2 years ago and am just now getting serious about fixing some of the problems with it.
So far I have repaired a broken header/exhaust clamp bolt, this one had me worried since I had to drill out the old piece...went much better than I expected..when I got the bike, it had aftermarket pegs on and the left peg was loose and basically useless, (had to drive it approx 30 miles home and a few trips w/no left peg) it took awhile to get the old left one off, but replaced both pegs, and they are very functional.. replaced grips..The entire header was covered in rust, cleaned..replaced left rear turn signal assy..both mirrors.. new tires..
new brakes..the left cover had already been adapted to allow access to spark plug, but of course I didn't realize that until I had taken tank off! complete tune-up done..and numerous rusted bolts, screws, etc.
My next project is to recover my seat and back pillion, modified for my taste and size (bike as is is much too short for my height)..and new muffler, still has original and is rusted out in a few spots..
Anyway...will keep those interested posted on master cyl fix as soon as I receive it.

'86 Savage: Rusty Ruby aka Beater Baby
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 09/22/10 at 05:07:10

ThumperKat wrote on 09/21/10 at 13:51:41:
Just spoke with Don at New River Motorcycle Salvage and ordered my repair kit ($15.00 total cost). I gave him the info I had and basic measurements of window and outer ring.
He let me know he also has records on several models, etc.
He was very helpful and said he would have it in the mail the next day!
Once I get the kit I will post some pics of the before and after installation for anyone who is also considering this fix.

My bike was honestly a beater when I bought it 2 years ago and am just now getting serious about fixing some of the problems with it.
So far I have repaired a broken header/exhaust clamp bolt, this one had me worried since I had to drill out the old piece...went much better than I expected..when I got the bike, it had aftermarket pegs on and the left peg was loose and basically useless, (had to drive it approx 30 miles home and a few trips w/no left peg) it took awhile to get the old left one off, but replaced both pegs, and they are very functional.. replaced grips..The entire header was covered in rust, cleaned..replaced left rear turn signal assy..both mirrors.. new tires..
new brakes..the left cover had already been adapted to allow access to spark plug, but of course I didn't realize that until I had taken tank off! complete tune-up done..and numerous rusted bolts, screws, etc.
My next project is to recover my seat and back pillion, modified for my taste and size (bike as is is much too short for my height)..and new muffler, still has original and is rusted out in a few spots..
Anyway...will keep those interested posted on master cyl fix as soon as I receive it.

Very good.  Keep us posted!  I will be curious about the fix.  I just Googled and found that, so I hope it works out for you.  We love pictures around here, so post some of your bike if you can....  Good luck!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #26 - 09/28/10 at 06:56:11

OK...well, my master cyl fix started promising, i ordered my kit on tues and Don had it to me on friday. the glass was just a lil bit too small and was enuff that i couldnt get a good seal. when you're dealing with approx's must be expected at times.
Contacted Don, and he is going to recut and send a new one out. i took pic's of the process, but want to wait until i get new glass and installed before i post.
on that thought...in the interim, my need to be back on the road prompted me to do an interim fix using a dime...a 1986 Liberty.
trimmed down the edge and used Permatex Ultra-Grey rtv to seal...
still waiting for it to cure...and i must say, i really like the look.
will post pic's of this fix once i know it works (sealed). whew...

'86 Savage: Rusty Ruby aka Beater Baby
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #27 - 09/28/10 at 10:00:16

Sight glass? Either I'm blind or I just never noticed it. In any case, I'll be replacing the front pads and rear shoes this winter, so I will also be flushing and replacing the fluid at that time. I would use Slavy's method of gravity bleeding and refilling as you go. Unless you have access to a power bleeder or flush machine with proper adapters.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #28 - 09/28/10 at 10:53:57

All you need is a piece of hose, preferably clear, 3/16" by about 5' long. Put it over the end of the bleeder screw, slightly open the screw & hold the other end in the fluid in the m/c. Slowly stroke the lever while keeping the hose in the fluid & you can see the air bubbles work there way out.
This is the fastest, easiest way I've found to bleed the front brake when starting with a 'dry' system.
I've always maintained my own bikes, 45 years now & none have ever been to the dealer.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 09/28/10 at 11:49:17

You can pump all you want, but a 'dry' system won't start.
Takes patience and a beer to concentrate on.
ocassionally look over at the resevoir to make sure it isn't empty or you'll need the 5' hose.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:26:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Master Cylinder Sight Window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.