Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Master Cylinder Sight Window (Read 552 times)
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Master Cylinder Sight Window
09/17/10 at 07:41:46

This is my first post, please forgive any ...newness? haha. I have an 86 Savage, and my master cylinder sight window is crystalized and leaking badly. I have tried a cursory fix by applying clear silicone to outside but either I didn't cure long enough or brake fluid was just too much for it.
Has anyone encountered this situation? and if so, your fix? I noticed the parts breakdown shows a 'protector' that looks like it might be the clip on the inside. Can it be replaced? Replacing the master cylinder is not an option at this time.
Thank you in advance for any and all replies!

'86 Savage: Rusty Ruby aka Beater Baby
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Master Cylinder Sight Window
Reply #1 - 09/17/10 at 07:51:11

Brake fluid is notoriously destructive to things. It eats paint & I cant imagine silicone ever holding it. Im gonna say youll need a new reservoir to solve this IF you want to keep that window. If youre willing to lose the window, which I dont suggest, then Id say empty the res, clean the res around the window, silicone an Oring on it & clamp a piece of metal to that Oring. Man, talk about look like crap,, but it should Work. Id only comsider that answer IF I was suck in the middleof nowhere & had to do that to get home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 09/17/10 at 08:15:32

Here's a place that makes a repair kit for $12.50:
http://www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight%20glass.html

I'd try Gorilla Glue and let it cure a long time...   Undecided

I may have an old master cylinder if you get to the point of replacement...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #3 - 09/18/10 at 17:36:29

That's a nice find Babyhog. I rebuilt mine and was wondering if I'd wasted my time because the sight window looks questionable. I'm going to order one now before I need it.

IP Logged
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #4 - 09/18/10 at 19:00:26

Thanks Babyhog...
I emailed about  the kit and will probably be ordering one soon..can only stand not riding for so long. Here in S Texas we can ride pretty much year round, and I'm glad of it!
Once again, thanks everyone for the replies!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/19/10 at 01:46:16

A simple cheapskate thought ....

If your glass is foggy but is still holding the fluid in, simply take the top off once a year to check the fluid level and don't fix the glass ever.

Spending time and money to fix what isn't necessary -- isn't necessary.

=============

If it does leak, take the master cylinder off the bike, clean it well with brake parts cleaner and pour the inside of sight glass recess slam full of two part slow setting clear epoxy all the way out to the aluminum and let it set up well for 48 hours.  

Once again, you now have a fogged sight glass that doesn't leak (at a total cost maybe $2 in epoxy) so now you take the top off once year to check it.      Wink     Big deal.

=============

The sight glass function is useless anyway -- proper set up after adding new pads is to fill the sucker up to the top so you can get maximum pad "out" wear movement backed up with reserve fluid in the reservoir.   This fill point is up over the sight glass anyway.

And to check it, you generally take the top off anyway -- who is gonna trust the sight glass since it sees a completely different picture according to how the bike is on the side stand OR how the handle bars are tilted.

Grin

Stop the leak, fill it up, and take the lid off once a year to check the fluid level.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/19/10 at 04:53:52

Site glass ???

Must be a Savage thing.

Or maybe I'll go look again Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #7 - 09/19/10 at 08:54:28

Yes, I take the top off to check level anyway, but still try to put things back into their 'original' condition if possible. I also thought maybe an aluminum plug might do the trick too. As long as it doesn't leak, I'm a happy thumper...

Thanks!

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 09/19/10 at 09:25:38

It's incredible and great that a repair kit exists at all.  I would miss the siteglass because it's convenient - and opening the reservoir lets in humidity.

Fill to top of the glass?  oops I learned something again dammit.  That top line mark is a little obtuse.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/19/10 at 09:38:54

and opening the reservoir lets in humidity.

Its vented anyway...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/19/10 at 10:09:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/10 at 07:51:11:
If you're willing to lose the window, which I don't suggest, then Id say empty the res, clean the res around the window, silicone an O-ring on it & clamp a piece of metal to that O-ring. Man, talk about look like crap, but it should Work. I'd only consider that answer IF I was suck in the middle of nowhere & had to do that to get home.

Hmmm... that does sound like a plan.  Only I'd use a copper washer for the seal on the inside.  The head of the bolt also on the inside.  Then washer on the outside is just to protect the surface and support.  Maybe a chrome acorn nut if you intend to leave it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/19/10 at 10:13:10

much nicer approach..

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 09/19/10 at 10:16:35

You don't have to open it they don't use in fluid.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/19/10 at 10:51:55

Let us form us a wild-assed guess --  

Klotz must make them some super special red tinted zero wear  -- expanding --  brake fluid ....

Grin   Grin   Grin          (all brake systems transfer fluid from master to slave cylinder as the pads move in due to simple wear)

Remember, the volume displaced by the forward moving puck down at the bottom is almost equal to half of the entire reservoir up top, so expect to see some fluid level change up top as your pads wear out.   This is also why you cheat and fill the durn thing up all the way when putting in new pads, that way you don't have to mess with it quite as much.

======================

Justin is correct, your master cylinder reservoir is always vented to the humid outside air and it does get moisture contaminated (cloudy looking) over about 2-3 years and should be changed periodically in any case.    

Since this is similar to the wear out life of a pair of front brake pads it tends to remind you to do the pump out / change out of the fluid at the same time you are installing a new set of pads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/19/10 at 10:52:59

Also, if your brake fluid is discolored at all... I'd replace it.

It's pretty simple as long as you still have fluid in it.

Get a jar and a rubber hose, put the rubber hose on the bleeder.  
open the bleeder and let the brake fluid drain into the jar.
take off the master cylinder cap and just before it starts sucking air, fill it back up.

Takes about a half a pint.  close the bleeder and check for sponginess, bleed if it is.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Master Cylinder Sight Window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.