Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A different type of 2 wheel adventure (Read 122 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
A different type of 2 wheel adventure
09/13/10 at 16:56:34

Back in April I discovered I could ride a bicycle with no ill effects when it comes to my having Lupus. If I walk over a 1/4 mile or do any type of repetitive motion with my hands it causes swelling in my hands and feet. Since April I've cycled over 1600 miles. I ride almost daily on a local trail the city built 1/2 mile from my house. About a month ago I met a guy on the local trail in the same shape I'm in. Ronnie has Lupus and discovered back in March he could ride a bicycle with no ill effects. Ronnie has ridden 1400 miles since March on the local trail. It was inevetible we were going to meet. Today we took off up to the New River Trail in Virginia with our bicycles. It was a cool beautiful fall day. The New River Trail was once part of a railroad line. The state of Va turned 57 miles of it into a state park. Here are some pictures of our 17 mile ride.                          Yours truly at the mouth of an old train tunnel.                                                                                             Ronnie preparing to cross the New River on a 1000' long train trestle.                         Nice shot of the river                                                               This is an old horse and wagon crossing used over a hundred years ago.                                                                                                                                                                 Ronnie and I are planning on going back a few more times and riding all of the 57 mile trail before winter. In a few more weeks the leaves will start turning and it will be gorgeous. Never thought I could have so much fun averaging 9mph on two wheels.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A different type of 2 wheel adventure
Reply #1 - 09/13/10 at 18:42:46

What a pretty ride!!!
Wish I was there.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/13/10 at 21:37:52

looks great Mike,weird how you meet another guy with the same problem, now you can commiserate.
Havent seen you post in a while ? you must be out enjoying your bike rides, so keep it up ,stay fit, you have some beautiful country all around you,enjoy it.My best to Jennifer.   Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 09/14/10 at 02:36:42

B E A UTIFUL !

IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #4 - 09/14/10 at 11:43:24

I've been to that trail twice, and I must say it is wonderful.  Course, I've only ridden maybe 20 miles or so of it, but it is nice.  We go to the Shot Tower park, and there is a old train station below there that is now a gift shop.     Smiley

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 09/14/10 at 12:37:49

Amazing and Awesome!  Good for you and for your new friend!!

I don't know much about Lupus, and I could research it, but my initial findings say that symptons vary from person to person.  I can read the cause, and see that treatment is basically limited to controlling the symptoms.  If you don't mind, how "extreme" is your case, how do you manage (bicycling, I assume being one way) and anything else you'd like to share....  if you don't feel its too personal or violating....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 09/14/10 at 15:32:19

Good to see you are able to get out and enjoy life!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 09/14/10 at 18:32:16

Babyhog my major symptoms are rash, swelling of joints in my hands, swelling of feet, fever, fatigue,and depression, I've lost almost half my body strength, other than that I'm fine LOL. The only treatment that helped me were steroids but I stopped taking them for long term health reasons. The hardest thing to accept is how much Lupus changed my lifestyle. When I quit drinking and drugging almost 15 years ago I became one of these people who was always wide open. I worked a full time job, played in a sucessful working band, rode and worked on other peoples motorcycles. I had 2 speeds, wide open and asleep.  My music was a major part of my life, I was good at it and I loved it. I've opened for the Allman Brothers and Jimmy Buffet. My last bands website is still up, you can hear me play at bagbrothers.net  Lupus pretty much has taken away my music, when I play my hands start swelling. That hurts the most plus the fact I lost a $75,000 a year job. Physically I can do less than a fourth of what I was able to do before Lupus. Back in 2002 I became a member of the Iron Butt ascociation. The Iron Butt Ascociation are the worlds toughest long distance motorcycle riders. For my initiation I left Winston Salem and rode to Daytona, ate a hot dog and headed back home only stopping for gas. The trip was 1126 miles and I did it in 18 and 1/2 hours on a Triumph Trophy 1200. Now I'm not strong enough to hold a motorcycle that size up. Whatever I did I was passionate about it and strived to be the best I could be. Some days now its all I can do to get out of bed. But there are a lot of people a lot worse off than I am, I try every day to focus on what I can do. I can still ride a smaller lighter motorcycle, not near as far as I use to but I have done three 400 mile days in the last year. Now that I've found out I can ride a bicycle I'm riding all I can, just got in from a 21 mile bike ride. I have a great wife and two wonderful kids so theres still a lot left in this world to be grateful for. It will soon be two years now I've been living with Lupus. Each day it gets a little easier to accept it and some of the passion for life is coming back, I can no longer do a 1000 mile day on a mtorcycle but if I work a little harder I bet I can do a 100 mile day on a bicycle, so far my longest bicycle ride is 47 miles. HMMM, got a little more work to do but I'll get there. Life, ya gotta love it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 09/15/10 at 05:36:31

Thanks for sharing, really.  I did a little more reading after I posted that previous comment.  I've never known anyone with Lupus.  But it sounds like you have taken the right attitude!  Inspirational for those of us without any major ailments.  

Almost 1200 miles on a motorcycle in one day??  Holy cow!  LOL  Iron Butt, I'd say!  Gonna have to wait till this evening to check out some of your music, but I will.  I'm sorry to hear that you can't play much anymore, but wonders never cease.... keep the faith that someday you will play again, as well as you ever did.  And good luck with the biking.  Let us know when you hit that 100 mile day!          

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 13:20:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › A different type of 2 wheel adventure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.