Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Quick Oil Change Question (Read 329 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Quick Oil Change Question
Reply #15 - 08/29/10 at 06:16:01

My oil consumption is what tells me when to change it. On new oil, it hardly uses any. Once I get some miles on it, it starts to drink a little. How much? How soon? Well, depends on how much wick gets applied. I run easy, oil stays in better. Get to  2,000 or 2,500 miles on it & I start needing to add more oil & do it more often, then I dump it & start over. OIl has long string molecules that get sheared as they pass thru things. 2quarts running thru the gears & the little oil passageways, getting squoze & crushed here& there along the way does physical damage to it. Its a pretty hostile environment in there, what with all the crushing & shearing & heat & all. Wanna run a synthetic? Wouldnt say I blame ya. I dont, because I think the Rotella will keep the engine in good working order for as long as the rest of the bike is good for.
I think I'll replace the clutch throwout lever/paddle ( whatever, you know, the one that breaks,inside the cover) when I replace the cam chain. I got 20,000 miles on the first one,& I dont even use the clutch all the time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 08/29/10 at 07:08:49

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 08/28/10 at 20:54:10:
Do you guys take a shower and then put your dirty clothes back on? Roll Eyes

Just sayin'. Cool

Emgo filters $1.47 each at JCW.
And if you can't push the cover all the way on by hand, don't start the bolts to "pull it down'. How you can put one on reversed is beyond me. Cool

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 08/29/10 at 07:23:18

IMC, not changing the filter is not about saving money !
Its more about it being a messy PITA !
If I have to change filter every time (once a yr) then I'm just gonna trade for a bike w/ a spin on ! :'(

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 08/29/10 at 07:35:57

Judging by my lawn tractors, both of which have spin-on filters, you won't be changing the mess very much. The spin-on filters are mounted horizontally, so as soon as I loosen them the oil in them drains out onto the mower frame. The job is easier, though.

When I bought the S40 it was because I had decided I wanted a thumper. I didn't actually consider the required maintenance, especially the head bolt retorquing. I did go so far as to find out the S40 has screw and locknut valve adjustment. Now that I have it, I am not quite so enchanted. Especially after riding my 250 Ninja, the S40 feels "clunky." But I digress - the topic has to do with oil changing.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #19 - 08/29/10 at 12:36:41

I had a little trouble finding the right filter. I went to a local auto parts store with part numbers that are 'supposed' to be for a Savage. I even brought a couple different brands to be safe. The employees working entered my number and brought up the product that matched and it was a canister filter that CLEARLY did not go into the savage. Sooo they popped out their books, looked up my bike, and sure enough the book suggested that this was the correct filter.

Anywho.. after a long goose chase they couldn't find anything that was like the filter I needed. VERY strange.. I don't know if the books were wrong or if these guys didn't have their heads on straight. Or perhaps they are just hard to come by around here? I ended up ordering three K&N 137 filters at $6.50 a pop plus a $6 freight fee. Seems like the only option..

THEY reached the conclusion that Suzuki licensed the right to only K&N as the only other company allowed to make these filters. This is obviously wrong, as everyone on here uses different brands not to mention their book listed filters FOR the Savage made by OTHER manufacturers... but the wrong part...

Long story short I put the same filter back in, but will replace it in about 4 days when the K&Ns get here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/29/10 at 13:20:17

You can buy from these guys at $18 a pop... (who know how many and a hope they include a jar of vaseline)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-OIL-FILTER-KN-137-SUZUKI-S40-DR-650SE-DR-6...

Or these guys for $8... (single filter plus ship)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hi-Flo-Oil-Filter-Suzuki-DR650-LS650-DS650-Sav...

Since JCWitney doesn't have any filters for less then $2.99, I don't think the $1.47 price can be found.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/29/10 at 13:58:51

<Local independent shop has them for around 3 bux.. I buy several & keep O-rings & crush washers hanging on the wall...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 08/29/10 at 16:06:40

It been too long since I saw it last, but as I remember it, why can't that little mickey mouse filter be back flushed in a parts washer and be done w/ it ?
As I remember it, it isn't worth more than a buck !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/29/10 at 17:18:45

I wouldnt sweat backflushing it, Id replace it, every other time I changed oil. Usually, I cant remember if I changed it last time or not & wind up changing it, just to be safe. I WANT to say I Used to have a better memory, but I really dont remember if I did or not,,

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 08/29/10 at 17:50:06

My suzuki dealer has the suzuki filters they don't cost that much and you know your getting the right filter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #25 - 08/29/10 at 21:09:10

My local Suzuki dealership (where I bought the bike) sells me the factory filters for $4.85, seems like a small price to be sure my new oil is not getting dirty brfore it does any work. Just a thought. Maybe they only sell them to me that cheap, who knows.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick Oil Change Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.