Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalls out when I give it gas (Read 516 times)
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stalls out when I give it gas
08/26/10 at 16:05:25

Hey guys. I've enjoyed reading the forums ever since I bought my Savage earlier this summer. It's great to find such a dedicated community for this fine motorcycle. This is my first bike, and I've had a blast riding it around New York's Hudson Valley for the past few months. Last week on my way home from work the bike starting sputtering bad and losing power. It was pretty sudden, but I did have time (and power) to pull off the main road and find a more suitable place to check it out.
As you can see in the video (in message below), it starts right up and idles fine, but as soon as I give it throttle it wants to stall out. But if I ease it off, the engine recovers and keeps on thumping. What do you guys think? Fuel filter? Carburetor? Something else? I wanted to check before taking things apart.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stalls out when I give it gas
Reply #1 - 08/26/10 at 16:05:57

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/26/10 at 16:38:15

First I would try some Sea Foam in the gas tank,That a carb clean that you can get at most Wal Mart or auto stores.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/26/10 at 17:02:03

Don't listen to Bill there are some preliminary steps that you should first make and Seafoam isn't a carb cleaning I don't care what anyone says.

First off try running the bike on Prime to rule out the petcock.   Also have you checked your air filter?  could be almost plugged and that could be causing the bog down.  Those are the first two things I would try.  Also check your vacuum line for cracks or just replace it.  

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 08/26/10 at 17:05:43

+1 jsarsfield's comments.  Do the easy things that don't require anything but time and effort first.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/26/10 at 17:56:25

I had it on Prime when I made the video. The problem is worse in the On or Reserve positions, meaning it wants to stall out if I give it even a little gas. The vacuum line looks OK, and I blew out the air filter a couple weeks ago, though I'll look at that again.
One other potentially relevant detail: I've always felt a very subtle inconsistency in the engine at cruising speed (60mph). Not a loss of power, but just a twinge of not being 100 percent at all times. After having this recent problem I thought that might have been indicating the spark plug was misfiring, but changing the spark plug didn't fix my problem.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/26/10 at 17:59:06

Hey !!!! Lighten up on Bill ! He has his opinion, you have yours.

I agree, IMO seafoam isn't the place to start in this situation, but before tearing into the carb, seafoam could be the easier answer.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/26/10 at 18:00:06

Sea Foam

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/26/10 at 18:07:56

Its not the air filter.
And prime didn't fix it.
If its not the fuel filter...and I doubt it is,
I'd say you're into the carb,....
and if you're a believer in seafoam, that could fix it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/26/10 at 19:12:03

There is a screen in the fuel tank. You might check for free fuel flow. With the petcock in ON or RES, pull the fuel line off the carburetor. No fuel should flow, other than a few drops in the line. Holding the fuel line where spilled fuel won't be a problem, such as pointing into a can, turn the petcock to PRIme. Fuel should flow freely. If it doesn't, the problem is upstream from the carb. If it does, turn the petcock back to ON and reinstall the fuel line. Open the drain in the bottom of the carburetor, holding a container under it so you can catch and examine whatever comes out. You should get a few ounces of fuel as the bowl drains. If you get water, turn the petcock back to PRIme and let it flow until you get clean gas out the carb drain. If you get dirt or rust, you might as well take the carb off and clean it, because nothing will dissolve dirt. You will also need to clean out the tank, because the dirt/rust didn't get generated in the carburetor. Cleaning the carburetor without cleaning the tank will be an exercise in futility. Adding an in-line filter will keep the dirt out of the carb, but it will plug up itself instead. By the way, there is supposed to be a filter in the carburetor inlet, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/26/10 at 19:44:22

There is a screen in the fuel tank. You might check for free fuel flow. With the petcock in ON or RES, pull the fuel line off the carburetor. No fuel should flow, other than a few drops in the line.

I had to pull off that line when I took the tank off, and discovered that fuel still flowed in ON and RES positions! Separate or related problem?

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/26/10 at 19:50:18

Routy wrote on 08/26/10 at 18:07:56:
Its not the air filter.
And prime didn't fix it.
If its not the fuel filter...and I doubt it is,
I'd say you're into the carb,....
and if you're a believer in seafoam, that could fix it.

I still would try and start the bike with the air filter out of it by the sounds of the video the bike was either losing a vacuum or starving for air I'm betting on the air filter mine did almost the same thing when I first got it.   I have no problem with Seafoam and use it all the time and I was just joking with Bill but stand by what I said.  

Another thing nobody has suggested ...  Have you changed the gas in the tank?   Old gas can really make you think you have a carb problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/26/10 at 20:01:46

Troublefunk wrote on 08/26/10 at 19:44:22:
There is a screen in the fuel tank. You might check for free fuel flow. With the petcock in ON or RES, pull the fuel line off the carburetor. No fuel should flow, other than a few drops in the line.

I had to pull off that line when I took the tank off, and discovered that fuel still flowed in ON and RES positions! Separate or related problem?

could be related, I would take it apart and inspect it.  i've taken a few apart and while not clogged, it does collect some crap.

there's 4 screws on the back side which reveal the diaphragm.  the diaphragm is sealed to the body with a gasket, so you might need some rtv to put it back on.

behind the diaphragm is the vac operated seal.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 08/26/10 at 20:47:08

Some good replies here, as usual....

I'd try all of the easy stuff first.  Then, if still no joy, try putting in a new spark plug before you get into the carb....you might just get lucky!

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/26/10 at 22:20:32

well, that would be next easiest thing to look at, the sparkplug.

if it's white, then it's not getting gas.
if it's wet or black then it's getting too much gas.

and if it's getting too much gas, bet your main has come unscrewed and is sitting in the bottom of the bowl.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalls out when I give it gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.