Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalls out when I give it gas (Read 516 times)
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stalls out when I give it gas
Reply #15 - 08/26/10 at 22:40:01

I changed the spark plug as soon as this happened. No luck!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/26/10 at 22:44:29

what did it look like?

what does the current one look like?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 08/26/10 at 22:58:41

Quote:
Last week on my way home from work the bike starting sputtering bad and losing power. It was pretty sudden,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
An air filter never plugs up suddenly !
A fuel filter normally does not plug up suddenly !
A chunk of stuff does get stuck in the carburator suddenly !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/26/10 at 23:18:47

http://i38.tinypic.com/20f2hht.jpg here's what the old spark plug looks like. I assumed it wasn't the problem since the symptoms were identical with a shiny new one.

Routy- how should I proceed to diagnose and clean a clogged carb?

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #19 - 08/27/10 at 00:22:00

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191899985

follow this thread.  dont even need to fully dissasemble, take the bottom off, acts as a little tray.  unscrew the jets and all the little screws and put them in the tray (bottom of carb) and pour/spray carb cleaner in to let it soak. check inside the carb and spray/clean it.  dont know what ur running but u can do the spacer mod since u got the whole thing off.  CAREFUL of those little screws on the top inside the diaphram, you'll hate yourself if u strip them.  can find a screw in a PC to replace it if needed.  put the whole thing back together and replace the outer screws with allen head bolts.  tah-da!  clean

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/27/10 at 01:10:35

W/ the petcock "On" ( Not Prime), drain the bowl.
I'd pull thecarb, because the screws can be so hard to turn. It would be easier to notstrip them if its on the bench.
Neversieze is a Tool, not just a lubricant.
A handheld impact is CHEAP, especially when it saves you from a stripped head on a phillips screw.
These are JISscrews, not #2 Phillips. Digger has the source for the right screwdrivers. Hes posted it numerous times & ( Im sorry Digger), Iveyet to get the things or write it down. Ive had good luck, not wrecking these screws. BeCertain the bit is seated squarely. A quick , light, tap on a screwdriver can break the "stick" the screwshave with the aluminum.

NOTE: The Harbor Freight impact ( About $6.00) made a few uses, then siezed up. Disassembled & discovered the ball that runs in the grooves had driven the edge of the grooves up, binding inside the handle. Mere moments on the bench grinder solved it. REassembled & tested, back to "Like New" performance.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #21 - 08/27/10 at 06:23:00

I had not watched the video before my first stab at the problem. I think now you have a plugged main jet. At idle the engine gets its fuel via the pilot jet, which may still be clear. When you open the throttle the engine is supposed to draw more fuel through the main (metered by the needle). If that jet is plugged, the carburetor supplies more air via the slide, but the extra fuel doesn't make it through the clogged jet, the mixture goes lean, and the engine dies. As Routy pointed out, the sudden onset of the problem points to dirt or rust plugging a jet.

Your comment that fuel continues to flow when the petcock is ON also points to a piece of crud holding the petcock seal open. You never mentioned the age of the bike, but the video makes it several years old because the cylinder is shiny instead of black. My bet: rust in the tank.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/27/10 at 19:26:56

First of all thanks to everyone who's responded. This really is a great forum. To answer a question above, my bike is a '98.
I tried adding some seafoam to the gas earlier today and let it idle for awhile, but that didn't make any difference. I know it can be applied more directly, through the air intake and in other ways. I've read referenced to a few other intakes but I'm not sure if they apply. I didn't think the vacuum line would be the way to go. Maybe I'm supposed to have a really narrow funnel to go straight into the carburetor where the fuel line goes?
Anyway after asking around I'm getting the sense that my problem might be beyond using an additive, which seems to work best for bikes that are able to get around but run rough. Mine won't go anywhere.
I'm feeling inclined to just pull the carb out and take it over to my work bench and take it apart. Between the thread on this forum with the step by step photos and the clymer manual I feel like I have enough information to do that. Based on responses above, I gather I need:
1. To order up some JIS screwdrivers
2. Get some loctite
3. Get a different kind of carb cleaner for the parts to soak in
4. Flush the gas tank
5. Install an inline fuel filter to prevent (what we're assuming is) the problem from occurring again.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 08/27/10 at 19:35:53

It takes Sea Foam a little time to work,Its got to clean up the stuff try running it tomorrow.You can put Sea Foam in the fuel bowl it will work faster that way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/27/10 at 19:39:47

The spray can of carb cleaner may be enough.
But even then, may take a couple of tries to get everything clean and working right.  yes, I can recall the trouble I had doing my 1st one.

the screws can be a be otch to take out.  make sure to support the screw from under neath and either press down hard or get the small impact driver from hf.  and if the little ones inside the slide give you any trouble leave alone.  not worth f'ing them up.  The big ones with the head all exposed, you can use a vise grip if you plan on replacing them.

don't clean anything rubber with the carb cleaner, if anything, use mild dishwashing soap and water.

you don't need locktite, just torque properly.

WWW   IP Logged
Troublefunk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/27/10 at 20:00:41

How do I get to the fuel bowl? Have to take the top off the carb right?

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/27/10 at 20:20:04

Troublefunk wrote on 08/27/10 at 20:00:41:

There is 4 screws on the bottom of the carb also a drain plug in the center.   Remove the 4 screws and the bowl drops down.  Personally if I was you I'd just try and clean the carb from the bottom first without removing it completely.  Its a real pregnant dog getting back in.   With the fuel bowl removed you can access most of the critical parts including the very suspect main fuel jet.   Be very careful removing the jets they are made of soft brass use the right width flat screw driver.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/27/10 at 21:57:18

jsarsfield wrote on 08/27/10 at 20:20:04:

There is 4 screws on the bottom of the carb also a drain plug in the center.   Remove the 4 screws and the bowl drops down.  Personally if I was you I'd just try and clean the carb from the bottom first without removing it completely.  Its a real pregnant dog getting back in.   With the fuel bowl removed you can access most of the critical parts including the very suspect main fuel jet.   Be very careful removing the jets they are made of soft brass use the right width flat screw driver.

If this is the 1st time it's been off, it'll be very hard to remove the screws.  Even after doing mine, when I did another, practically new one, still required the vice grips to break them loose.  but he had the ss allen screws waiting to go in.

And, I just dropped my bowl.  I had to loosen the carb intake clamp a little, and pry up the rear of the carb while pushing the battery box to the rear a little.

WWW   IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/27/10 at 22:30:01

verslagen1 wrote on 08/27/10 at 21:57:18:
jsarsfield wrote on 08/27/10 at 20:20:04:

If this is the 1st time it's been off, it'll be very hard to remove the screws.  Even after doing mine, when I did another, practically new one, still required the vice grips to break them loose.  but he had the ss allen screws waiting to go in.

And, I just dropped my bowl.  I had to loosen the carb intake clamp a little, and pry up the rear of the carb while pushing the battery box to the rear a little.

Yeah those screws can be a bugger ... I have a perfect stubby machine screw phillips that works like a charm with a couple hammer taps.  
I think the key to getting those soft screws out is seating the tip with the proper screwdriver .... Always the right tool for the right job.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #29 - 08/28/10 at 05:57:22

bill67 wrote on 08/27/10 at 19:35:53:
It takes Sea Foam a little time to work,Its got to clean up the stuff try running it tomorrow.You can put Sea Foam in the fuel bowl it will work faster that way.

Interesting - the can of Sea Foam I bought says "INSTANT ACTION SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT" and a few lines later (in caps) says "WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY". I can only quote the label on the can - no editorial comments added. After all, if it weren't perfectly true they wouldn't print it on the can.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalls out when I give it gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.