babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Ride in the rain
08/24/10 at 13:21:44

Can't believe I forgot to tell you all, I rode my first big ride in the rain... actually a DOWNPOUR.  

Saturday morning, hubby and I decided to take a ride, get some food, and take in a movie somewhere.  (He has been wanting to see The Expendables)  So we headed west, about 60 miles, found a theater, and a little hole-in-the-wall to eat in and have a beer.  While we were eating, we looked outside and it kept getting darker and darker.  

I walked outside and it was starting to sprinkle.  I told him we had to do something!  Then it started coming down in buckets.  Decided we would head back toward home, hopefully drive out of it.  Well, it took about 30 miles!  Part 4-lane 55mph road, part 2-lane 55mph road.  I was riding about 40-45, tractor trailers were passing me but I couldn't ride any faster!  After about 45 minutes of this, we were soaked to the bone, and I was starting to get cold.  Told him I had to pull over.  Once we stopped, I took off my boots and squeezed the cup of water out of each of my socks!  No, we didn't have any rain gear!  We were stopped maybe 5 minutes, if that, and the rain stopped.... totally stopped.  Headed on home, rode wet roads until about 10 miles from home, then it was totally dry.  Cranked the throttle and was happy to have survived.  A little dramatic, but I had never ridden in rain before, so I was proud of myself and much relieved!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ride in the rain
Reply #1 - 08/24/10 at 14:39:04

Wow !! It is good experience to have but if it really is coming down in buckets like you said you should have pulled over.  no offense and only because you were on the highway.   when moving that fast on such a flat road you run the risk of actually hydroplaning and when it happens,  the rain pelting your face is the least of your worries.   I hope I didn't offend you Babyhog and I'm glad you made it through without harm.   I have been through some serious storms before and its nothing to joke about try it at night even more fun  Undecided

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 15:29:21

Good News: You are not sugar, you do not melt in water.
Bad News:  You DO get wet in water.
Bad News:  Water is COLD in the wet.
Good News:  It does stop.
Good News:  You know that you CAN ride in the wet.

Congratulations.  Real Bikers ride in the rain.  YOU are a Real Biker.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 18:45:09

Thank you Paladin.  Coming from you, it means alot!  Although.... I am part sugar...  Wink

And you are right jsarsfield, I pulled over as soon as it was safer to pull over than to take it slow going.  Thought we'd ride out of it fairly quickly, but didn't luck out.  I don't think I ever went faster than 45, maybe 50.  Even on the 4-lane.  Luckily, the 4-lane was all uphill, and the water was sheeting off the road nicely.  I certainly didn't want to pull over there, and once we hit the 2-lane, it took a while to find a safe place.  I passed one underpass because I knew a BP station was just ahead, which is where we stopped.  I was very nervous all along, but took it slow and steady.  Later hubby told me that he slid around a sharp curve (we slowed to about 15) but I didn't slide at all!  I'm glad I didn't see him slide!   I'm glad to know I'm able to ride in the rain, but I certainly didn't like it!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 18:51:16

The really embarrassing part for me is,... not getting caught in the rain, but riding out of it into the clear sun,...
...and then having people look at you dripping wet on a dry road... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 08/24/10 at 19:16:51

Congrats on now being a "Wet Butt Rider"! Grin  Glad to hear that getting soaked was the worst thing you got out of it.  If you've got the rain gear, and it's not pouring too bad, it's really not that bad.  Just wait til you get into some light hail; makes a ridiculous amount of noise on your helmet! Shocked Grin
http://www.wetbuttriders.com/index.html

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #6 - 08/25/10 at 03:55:08

Congrats Babyhog!
It's even more fun when you get off work at 3 AM and it's raining and half way home the rain turns to sleet.  My fingers we're numb when I got home.  :'(

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 08/25/10 at 04:14:15

Mazeltov!

You did it -- now the trick is not to do it too often.

Celebrate by getting some rain gear.  Your choices are:

Wally world for the cheap stuff or a bike shop for the good stuff.  Each has its own advantages and shortcomings.

Cheap stuff:
Advantages
   It's cheap!  Low initial cost.
   It takes up less room than the good stuff
   It's always fresh and dry (see disadvantages for the reason why)
   It's totally waterproof (also see below)
Disadvantages:
   Only a few sizes, so it won't fit and it'll flap around a lot
   It falls apart after one serious use
   It's PVC
   Being totally waterproof, it can hold all the sweat that comes off your body and condenses against the cool PVC so it's almost as wet inside as the outside!

Good Stuff:
Advantages:
   It really works
   It involves Gore-Tex, so it "breathes" and is actually dry inside
   Better fit so it doesn't flap around as much
   It uses a decent fabric, so you can use it many times
   Each time you use it, the cost per use goes down
Disadvantages:
   Costs more initially
   It's bulkier than the cheap stuff
   It has to be dried out after each use

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/25/10 at 04:30:36

I have an old oilfield slicker suit. Poor thing must be close to 20 y/o. Its got a couple of patches on it, its YELLOW & its floppy. Its SOOO Ugly, but, I own it & when its needed, I use it. A guy on another forum sent me some pants, cuz slicker suits have pants like bib overalls & use suspenders. Theyre huge to fold up & I wanted something better & he said "Here, you can have these",, All I had to do was sew fresh elastic in the waistband.
Anyway, a trip to a FireSafety store or a place where industrial supply stuff gets sold could be a place to find some stout, reasonably priced, wet weather gear.
Remember, we onlyrarely ride in the rain. Think about it. Your vision is impaired, so is the cardrivers. They also dont expect you to be riding in the rain. Now, not only can they not see you as well, theyarent really expecting to see a bike. An Ugly, Horrible Bright flopping thing is a good thing at that point. Id`rather they laugh at me as I go by than run over me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #9 - 08/25/10 at 06:04:13

We also got caught in the rain on Saturday, I did have my frogg-togg jacket and it worked great, my biggest complaint, like Baby Hog said was pouring the water out of my boots!  I have a pair of rain boot covers, sure wished I would have had them on the bike - DUH!

Tour Master Deluxe Boot Rain Covers or these are only $20.00 MotoCentric Mototrek Boot Covers (motorcycle superstore).  I will definately put them on the bike from now on!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #10 - 08/25/10 at 06:36:59

Yeah Piglet!!!  Awesome job!  to be quite honest, as long as i have my 3/4 helmet on, i actually like riding in the rain as long as its warmer out.  once you get past that uncomfortable wet stage to completely soaked its not to bad.  if its a warm day it feels great.  im also a polar bear so i never get cold.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 08/25/10 at 06:56:15

drharveys - FSO wrote on 08/25/10 at 04:14:15:
Mazeltov!

You did it -- now the trick is not to do it too often.

Celebrate by getting some rain gear.  Your choices are:

Wally world for the cheap stuff or a bike shop for the good stuff.  Each has its own advantages and shortcomings.

Cheap stuff:
Advantages
   It's cheap!  Low initial cost.
   It takes up less room than the good stuff
   It's always fresh and dry (see disadvantages for the reason why)
   It's totally waterproof (also see below)
Disadvantages:
   Only a few sizes, so it won't fit and it'll flap around a lot
   It falls apart after one serious use
   It's PVC
   Being totally waterproof, it can hold all the sweat that comes off your body and condenses against the cool PVC so it's almost as wet inside as the outside!

Good Stuff:
Advantages:
   It really works
   It involves Gore-Tex, so it "breathes" and is actually dry inside
   Better fit so it doesn't flap around as much
   It uses a decent fabric, so you can use it many times
   Each time you use it, the cost per use goes down
Disadvantages:
   Costs more initially
   It's bulkier than the cheap stuff
   It has to be dried out after each use

Thanks so much!  I'll most likely go with the cheap stuff.... cuz I'm cheap! lol  I'd at least try it once, and if I didn't like it, then I might invest in something better.  I know I should have something, in case of emergency now, so I'll start looking around....   boot covers... need to look into them too!

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #12 - 08/25/10 at 06:57:45

Congrats on your first wet weather ride!

I'm in Oregon and I don't own a cage.
I ride in the rain often in the fall, winter and spring months.

I got a set of the grayish frogg-toggs for $40 bucks at a local MC shop. They lasted the whole winter, burned a hold on the right leg the first day I wore them...that exhaust pipe is really hot Smiley   but high boots keeps the water from coming in. I was always totally dry.

Riding in the rain isn't so bad, just be more alert and avoid the big puddles. Leave lots of cushion space around you so you can see water on the road, junk that lays in the road, let others pass when they want to, and stay calm. It's only water.

Hail..only 1 time in that and that I pulled over for. Nothing like slippery little ice pebbles on the road to make you think twice about climbing on two wheels.

Oh, and stay off the roads for an hour or so in the first rain of the season (or if it hasn't rained in a while) and let all that grime, oil, and other slick fluids wash of the road. Never ride the crown of a road in wet weather for this reason.

Happy wet butt riding  Grin

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 08/25/10 at 08:00:12

Hey, Babyhog, congratulations !!!
Cool
One thing I didn't quite get, though...

...why on earth didn't you just buy tickets, see the film and wait out therain ???  Huh

Cheesy

Now, if you';re interested in original "see in the dark" equipment, consider a red strobo light next to the tailight

Anytime rain (or fog, or dust blown by the wind) is such to hamper visibility, just flick it on !

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 08/25/10 at 08:35:02

Congrats Piglet on making it thru the rain. I don't particularly like riding in the rain, yet on occassions I have had to. I understand your boots being full of water. I found out that the eyelets on both pairs of my boots allow water to seep in.

A couple years ago I got caught in a hail storm. It was sunny when I left and I had a wonderful ride all by myself. I was about 15 miles from home when it started and no where to go. It was hard to see, I slowed down and finally made it to a safe area to rest and wait it out. I don't care to ever do hail again. It stings worse than rain when it hits your face. My shield and glasses were fogging up so I had to raise my shield some. OUCH...Tender skin I have.. Wink  kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ride in the rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.