Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front fender alignment (pictures added) (Read 157 times)
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Front fender alignment (pictures added)
08/23/10 at 17:48:17

Got the oil changed today.  Took forever to figure out where the drain plug was.  Feel like an idiot, but the other bike I have is pretty straight forward where everything is.  This one seems a little hidden.  But thats not the topic for today.

My front fender is really misaligned with the tire.  It seems odd, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how you would adjust it.  It does not seem bent, warped, or anything like that.  It is not rubbing the tire, but could come real close if it wanted too.  Just curious if anyone else has one that does this, or if there is a way to align it.  Thanks.
I would post a pic but I am going to have to do some editing to get it to size.  

I also have a question on the 10mm bolt just below the chrome plated covers on the top of the jug.  It is on the right side only, chrome plated.  I know that, again on my other bike, there is a bolt like that to unscrew to be able to tell if your getting oil flow up to the upper end.  I started to unscrew it after changing the oil to see if it is the same thing, but then decided that I better ask first.  Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: 08/25/10 at 06:58:22 by nathanhooper »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front fender alignment
Reply #1 - 08/23/10 at 18:04:19

check to see if your forks are out of alignment.

that bolt is a pivot point for the rear chain guide, leave it alone.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 04:46:40

will check the forks.  So what if the bolt was unscrewed?  Curious, because I took it out pretty far before I decided that it was not the best idea.  I did not move the bike any while it was screwed out and I rode it to work this morning so I am going to assume that nothing fell down, or is that a bad assumption? I did not screw it all the way out, but it was close too it I am sure.  Its always the little things that get me in trouble.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 04:56:26

It has a rod that goes thru the rear cam chain guide at the top. As long as you didnt loosen it up & pull it out over , saaaaay, 3/4 of an inch or so, its okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 05:31:33

yea...well...I just went through and actually looked at the manual, read some posts on here, and well...I am just saying, I might need to take the cylinder head cover off to have a look-see.  Not sure if it is needed or not, but it might just happen anyways.  

With the knowledge that this is going to make me the typical newbie and idiot...I did back the bolt out till I saw the un-threaded part of it that the guide pivots on.  Go easy on me.  The whole time I kept on telling myself, you really shouldn't do this, but in my exploratory nature I did it anyways.  My mother tells the story of when she came home from work one day and I had taken every thing I could find that ran on batteries apart and had them laying on the kitchen table.  I cannot say that I remember it myself, lol.

So when I saw the threaded part, just barely mind you, I felt the resistance of the guide(now that I know what it was) and immediately threaded it back in.  I did not take it all the way out, and it never lost the tension, as in it felt like it was still holding on to, through, the hole in the guide.  I am sure that it is still in the guide, I think, I would think that if it were not then there would be some awful noise or something coming from there?  I do have to say there seemed to be a different noise than usual, but I changed the oil and am hoping that is it.  There was about a third to half more quart of oil in there than what should have been.  I am thinking the guy selling it put more in to try and hide some noise.  Not entirely sure about the logic of that, but it sounds good.

Thoughts, reprimands, scourging anyone?

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #5 - 08/25/10 at 06:57:15

Here are some pictures of the front fender if anyone can give me some more input.  Thanks  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front fender alignment (pictures added)
Reply #6 - 08/25/10 at 08:50:34

Is it the same at the rear of the fender?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/25/10 at 08:56:26

The wheel and forks looks straight in relation to each other. Just looks like the fender is bent. Maybe the PO had it off and stepped on it. If the bike is handling well Id say the fender is bent and either to muscle it back into shape or just get a new(used) one.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #8 - 08/25/10 at 10:16:34

Yes the distance is the same at the front and rear.  The crazy thing is that it handles fine I guess.  It does seem a little loose up there from time to time, but that is what I have heard is normal with these bikes.  It does not look bent.  It just seems that the fender is made that way or the wheel is further to one side of the forks than the other.  I am going to go measure the distance from rim to forks right now and see what it is.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #9 - 08/25/10 at 10:27:37

So I measured it and it is 1 /12" from the side of the fork to the rim on the left side(right side looking straight on), and 1" from the same reference points on the other side.  So the tire/rim sits 1/2" to one side than the other inside the forks.  Everything looks straight, there is absolutely no sign, whatsoever, of any damage.  I cannot see where turning the fender around would make any difference either, but I could try it.  Is the whole wheel assembly supposed to fit on there like that to compensate for the weight of the brake assemble on the left side maybe?

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #10 - 08/25/10 at 10:30:23

let me correct that calculation there, i didnt let my mind think too hard before typing.  by those numbers, 1 1/2" on one 1" on the other, it is only 1/4" off center of the forks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:14:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front fender alignment (pictures added)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.